Lilydale to Warburton Advice

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Mark Sullivan, May 17, 2003.

  1. I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social ride with a group. They want
    to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good road bike but a very cheap
    mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use my mountain bike?

    Tags:

  2. Alan Erskine

    Alan Erskine Guest

    If this group's archived, go to google and search for a thread called "Warburton Rail Trail".

    --
    Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au GWB the Ghengis Khan of the 21st Century

    "Mark Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social
    ride
    > with a group. They want to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good
    > road bike but a very cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use
    > my mountain bike?

  3. "Mark Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social
    ride
    > with a group. They want to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good
    > road bike but a very cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use
    > my mountain bike?

    Really depends on what your road bike is like. 25mm tyres may not like it much, especially after
    rain, but don't let that stop you. I rode from Launching Place to Warburton last weekend on the
    trail on my MTB with 1.5" tyres at 100psi with no problems. The surface is generally like a fairly
    good gravel road and any bike with tyres of 30mm or more width would be quite OK.

    Reminds me of one GVBR. Jamieson to Eildon had a 7km descent on rough gravel road. I was riding my
    MTB with the 100psi IRC Metros and expected all the knobby tyre dudes to be flying past. Not so -
    the only guy who passed me was a *roadie*, who was riding singles I believe. Your road bike will be
    certainly get you there.

    Cheers Peter

  4. Ray Peace

    Ray Peace Guest

    Greetings Mark, If someone else hasn't told you already, take the cheap mountain bike. The rail
    trail surface is quartz toppings and would be heavy going on a road bike, particularly after the
    rain we have had last night and this morning. Cheers, Ray.

    Mark Sullivan wrote:

    >I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social ride with a group. They want
    >to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good road bike but a very
    >cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use my mountain bike?

  5. Mike Ayling

    Mike Ayling Guest

    I agree with the majority - road bike will be OK if it is dry but after a decent rain the surface
    turns to porridge and a wider tyre would be beneficial.

    Mike

  6. Thanks all,

    The MTB it is then. (Damn) I did search Google for this but got zip - so maybe this thread will
    stand as an answer to an esoteric question for posterity. Seems such a pity to leave a perfectly
    good Cannondale RB sitting at home and take a no name MTB - but there you go!

    Cheers

    Mark

    news:[email protected]...