Lilydale to Warburton Advice

Mark Sullivan

Guest
I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social ride with a group. They want
to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good road bike but a very cheap
mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use my mountain bike?

If this group's archived, go to google and search for a thread called "Warburton Rail Trail".

--
Alan Erskine alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au GWB the Ghengis Khan of the 21st Century

"Mark Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social
ride
> with a group. They want to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good
> road bike but a very cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use
> my mountain bike?

"Mark Sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social
ride
> with a group. They want to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good
> road bike but a very cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use
> my mountain bike?

Really depends on what your road bike is like. 25mm tyres may not like it much, especially after
rain, but don't let that stop you. I rode from Launching Place to Warburton last weekend on the
trail on my MTB with 1.5" tyres at 100psi with no problems. The surface is generally like a fairly
good gravel road and any bike with tyres of 30mm or more width would be quite OK.

Reminds me of one GVBR. Jamieson to Eildon had a 7km descent on rough gravel road. I was riding my
MTB with the 100psi IRC Metros and expected all the knobby tyre dudes to be flying past. Not so -
the only guy who passed me was a *roadie*, who was riding singles I believe. Your road bike will be
certainly get you there.

Cheers Peter

Greetings Mark, If someone else hasn't told you already, take the cheap mountain bike. The rail
trail surface is quartz toppings and would be heavy going on a road bike, particularly after the
rain we have had last night and this morning. Cheers, Ray.

Mark Sullivan wrote:

>I usually ride on roads, but I have accepted an invitation to a social ride with a group. They want
>to ride the Rail Trail from Lilydale to Warburton and back. I have a good road bike but a very
>cheap mountain bike. Is the surface suitable for a road bike or should I use my mountain bike?

I agree with the majority - road bike will be OK if it is dry but after a decent rain the surface
turns to porridge and a wider tyre would be beneficial.

Mike

Thanks all,

The MTB it is then. (Damn) I did search Google for this but got zip - so maybe this thread will
stand as an answer to an esoteric question for posterity. Seems such a pity to leave a perfectly
good Cannondale RB sitting at home and take a no name MTB - but there you go!

Cheers

Mark

news:[email protected]...