Lima's Bizzare Marathon

> >From: "Sierraman" [email protected]

> >I think Merckx got whacked on a climb. Riders are not going that fast
> >through the steep narrow gauntlets of the Alps and Pyrenees. I agree it
> >would be much harder to take someone out on the flats. I wouldn't want to
> >try it! Ouchie! Get a tread mark on your forehead!
> >

> Bruce have you ever tried to kick a water bottle out of the road at race
> speed? I do it on a regular basis from the motor.

I know a guy who does moto, I'll ask him. If Lance rides next year, I'll be
real surprised if something doesn't happen considering how back things got
this year with the germans. Shades of things to come.

If it's full and I don't
> catch it at an angle it's pretty painful. If you want to stick a leg out

from a
> bicycle and hit a hard target you are going down hard. That's why jousting
> saddles had a high back.
> See the War Saddles about half way down.
> It's a nice thought but much more likely to injure the rider IMHO.
> Bill C

"Sierraman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > This could easily happen to Lance in next years TDF if he's in it.
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/3u9tt

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=554&ncid=755&e=1&u=/ap/2
0040829/ap_on_sp_ol/oly_marathon_run

> > > http://216.219.161.193/temp/Lima.mpg

> > They should have shot that ****er. He'll propably never stop, he'll

sit in
> jail for a few months just like after the F1 incident and
> > then show up at some other sports event.

> They showed the same guy running down the middle of a Nascar event

where the
> cars are going 200mph and dodgeing the guy left and right, funny as

hell and
> almost tragic at the same time. I think they managed to get the fool

off the
> track eventually before he got whacked!

Nascar doesn't go to 200 mph.

> [email protected] (TritonRider) writes:
>
> > >From: Steve [email protected]

> > >Lets hear the details!
> > >

> > Hey Davey how about spreading some enlightenment here.
> > Bill C

> 1975 Tour. Merckx had been stirring things up in the early stages along

with
> new kid on the block Ceccho Moser.
>
> Thévenet was down a minute or two and it seems that a Thévenet supporter
> belted Eddy pretty hard in the Liver on the Puy de Dôme and he lost some

time.

The cuplrit, a certain Nello Breton, was French but not particularly a
Thenevet-supporter. If he really hit Merckx on puprpose is not certain.
According to Breton he was pushed by the crowd and was swinging his arms to
keep his balance just at the moment when Merckx was passing. His version was
confirmed by some spectators, but nevertheless their testimonies and the
plea of his lawyer - a certain Maître Thévenet - the court imposed a fine of
one franc on him. He must have been well to do, because he payed
immediately.

Benjo Maso

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TritonRider wrote:
> > Yeah it could. I was really surprised that nothing happened in the road

race.
> > I think if Lance had been there something would have.
> > I'll skip the easy comments about priests and grabbing people.
> > Bill C

> But there was no one watching the road race. :)

Besides, Armstrong is never riding in front. The most likely victim would
probably have been poor Hincapie.

Benjo Maso

"Dave Casey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in news:2pfgfpFkfbcaU1@uni-
> berlin.de:
>
> > the court imposed a fine of
> > one franc on him. He must have been well to do, because he payed
> > immediately.

> You mean he didn't have to take out a loan to pay it?

Apparently. But I made a mistake: the one franc wasn't a fine, but damages.
AFAIK Merckx invested the sum he received in his bicycles factory.

Benjo Maso

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (TritonRider) wrote:

> >From: "Ronald" [email protected]
> >Date: 8/29/2004 6:06 PM Eastern

> >They should have shot that ****er. He'll propably never stop, he'll sit in
> >jail for a few months just like after the F1 incident and
> >then show up at some other sports event.

> I don't remember the particulars but it was probably 20 years ago. Some drunk
> asshole fan charged onto the field during an NFL game and one of the
> linebackers clotheslined his ass and flipped him on his head. Then there was
> the dumbass streaker who jumped over the fence at a baseball game, broke his
> ankle, and got lots of face time on national tv as he layed there trying to
> cover himself up writhing in pain.
> Bill C

A guy I know told me a story about going to see Evel Kneivel do a jump
years ago (I think he said it was at the Cow Palace). There were some biker
types heckling Kneivel from the stands and Evel (having a fairly short
fuse, temper-wise) finally challenged one of them to come down and fight.
Well, the guy hopped out of the stands and goes to box with Kneivel.
Unfortunately for him, about thirty guys followed and set about kicking his
ass from there to Oakland. The funniest part of the story (imo) was the
line, "And there, in the middle of it, was Evel Kneivel, giving this guy a
tuneup with a two by four."

--
tanx,
Howard