Limestone (danger: ON topic)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Howard Bishop, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. I'm wondering if anybody's gone playing on limestone/gravel trails with a suspended Vision. Not
    really in the market, but it is the silly season.

    Howard

    (bitshift, etc)

    Tags:

  2. "Howard Bishop" <bishop(1199<<1)@yazhooz.com> skrev...
    > I'm wondering if anybody's gone playing on limestone/gravel trails with a suspended Vision. Not
    > really in the market, but it is the silly season.

    If you really want to feel the difference try cobblestones on a suspended and unsuspended bike. Its
    really sweet how a suspended bike (not Vision tho) just glides over them like they are not even
    there while the unsuspended bike will rearrange your internal organs and loose you a few fillings
    unless you slow down.

    Mikael With a fully suspended Evita-2 in my murky past.

  3. I have a Vision R32 (Front and Rear Suspension), CLWB OSS design. I use it for my light duty rail
    trails. The suspension does help on the gravel and tree roots. I'd never be able to jump logs with
    it, but it is better than un-suspended recumbents for the rail trail type of riding.

  4. Howard

    Howard Guest

    Neat site Bill. Helicopters don't really fly you know... all done by teleportation and mass
    hypnosis. Right now I'm mostly curious about a Vision.

    Howard

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Howard Bishop wrote:

    > I'm wondering if anybody's gone playing on limestone/gravel trails with a suspended Vision. Not
    > really in the market, but it is the silly season.

    What ever you choose, it should accept fat tires. I would want a 47-406 for a "20-inch" wheel, and a
    37-559 for a "26-inch" wheel as a minimum for riding on these types of surfaces. Avoid tires with
    thin sidewalls, as these are easily damaged on gravel. [1]

    One needs to pay attention to the occasional loose spots that occur on limestone screening paved
    trails, as they can dump an unwary recumbent bicycle rider in a hurry.

    [1] When I riding with uprights, gravel related flats was a common occurrence among the riders using
    narrow, high performance tires.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  6. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    I wouldn't hesitate to take my (unsuspended) Vision on a crushed limestone trail or even gravel,
    provided the rocks are not to big or too deep. For best results, try wider tires (1.75" or at least
    1.5") running about 60 PSI. This will make sure you can ride atop the trail surface without cutting
    ruts in it.

    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

    Howard Bishop <bishop(1199<<1)@yazhooz.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I'm wondering if anybody's gone playing on limestone/gravel trails with a suspended Vision. Not
    > really in the market, but it is the silly season.
    >
    > Howard
    >

    > (bitshift, etc)

  7. I did a 50 km MTB ride in Nuuksio, Espoo, Finland. I finished in about 5 hours, when the best time
    was about 2 1/2 hours. Suspension made the ride possible, but uphills were a problem partly due to
    slick tires and partly due to not enough power in my legs. There was an incredible amount of steep
    uphills. Had to do some leg streching when the bike stopped in uphill, but did not fall.

    Later i removed the suspension thingies because maintenance took too much time and the bike was not
    reliable enough for touring. Cane Creek rear shock never kept air when < -10 C.