Limited budget - second hand bike, or new???? That is the question!

Themelster

Dec 16, 2010
I am in the process of trying to buy my first road bike. I've just started getting into Triathlons and I don't have a huge budget - about $800 aussie dollars.

I am currently looking at a second hand Avanti Vivace - it is a 06/07 model and has full 105 groupset. The LBS is also trying to convince me on a new Avanti Vitale for around the same price. They are saying that although the specs aren't as good - it has the bonus of being new and therefore under waranty etc.

I'd love peoples advice. Do I look at second hand bikes so that I can afford a better quality / groupset? Or look at new bikes in my budget which will obviously be of a lower standard - but new?

Thoughts??

Cheers
Mel.

I assume that the new bike is a Vitale 1? There are several things to consider when you are buying a used bike.

Look for any signs of corrosion, inside and out. Aluminum corrosion is white and powdery. Pass on any bike that is showing signs of significant external corrosion and any internal corrosion.

Check the frame for any signs of stress or fatigue. This is especially important on an aluminum frame because aluminum flexes very little and will tend to crack before it bends much.

What is the condition of the bike? Has it been stored and not ridden for years, or is it a daily ridden bike? In either case, you will probably have to either tune the bike up or have it tuned up. If it has not been ridden very much, you may have to do a complete rebuild. This is not a big deal if you can so this yourself, but can get expensive if you have to take it to your LBS to have this done.

Are you good enough right now that a better group set is going to make a big difference? If you are like most new competitors, your first couple of seasons will be spent learning the sport and how to gain an advantage over your competitors.

Most group sets perform well out of the box. The basic design of Shimano equipment is pretty much identical from one group set to another. The major difference is in weight and materials used in the manufacture if the components. The lower level Shimano 2300 components will perform as well as 105 components at your level. They will wear slightly faster, but over a period of many years.

My suggestion is that you get the new bike. It will be under warranty and you will not need to worry about such things as a worn chain, worn cassette cogs, weak cables, and other such things. Normally a LBS will be offer a free first tune up at the end of the season. Save a little money as you compete one or two seasons with the Vitale and then upgrade it with new and better components when you are a little more experienced. Or if you save enough, purchase a new bike with all of the components that you want and use the Vitale as a training bike or sell it.

Thank you so much. That is really, really good, solid advice. And you are right - I'm not good enough yet for the better parts to make any difference. Hopefully one day! But not yet.
Thanks again!