Limiting training time - what can one expect?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by giannip, May 4, 2011.

1. giannip

giannip New Member

Over the last few months I've been thinking about the impact of my training on my life in general & particularly my family life. My monthly values are around 30 to 40 hours. 1.5 weeks ago, I decided to stop cycling altogether. Pretty drastic but couldn't see myself competing ifni couldn't be at the front end of things and enjoy the racing. The sad fact is that m fitter than I've ever been and a category jumpmwas imminent. To cut a long story short, I'm obviously missing the bike :( & wondering what type training intensity vs volume I could realistically undertake to stay competitive. Myntypicalmweek would be 5-6 days of 1-1.5 hours during the week and 2-4 on the week-ends.

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

A lot of us race on 8 to 10 hours per week of training. Sure more is great if it fits your overall life and work schedules but an awful lot of amateur racers make do with the kind of hours you're suggesting. I'm getting a bit more but still closer to 10-12 hours per week on average this season but raced my last few seasons on 7 to 9 hours for most weeks and had some good results including my share of podium spots and even a few wins on that kind of training.

If you can get 3-4 hours during the week, perhaps including some bike commuting time and another 4 to 6 hours on the weekend you should be able to do quite well assuming that time is well spent and doesn't include a lot of 'just riding around'...

-Dave

3. giannip

giannip New Member

Thanks I work from home :D:D:D:D I could just ride around the house for an hour :D

4. qcwtom

qcwtom New Member

Do it fast enough and it will be just like a crit.

5. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

If you don't upgrade, you might be able to stay competitive.

There were a couple Cat2s around here that spent a lot of time training on rollers or trainers. I suppose that and the road time they had was enough for them to race. But indoors is hard.

6. giannip

giannip New Member

A quick update since I started cycling in February after 10 months off the bike.

I'm averaging 4-6 hours per week (including weekends).

First months was much comprised of spins between 30 and 1 hour (and one 2 hours ride)

At the end of March I did my first test: 5min blow out = 350w & 20min = 269w, so I set my FTP to 260.

Since then I haven't done a test (plan is for next week) but have taken part in 2 club races and one Open race.

The Open race was last Sunday. 100km of combined Cat2 & Cat 3. The course is rolly but no really steep hills and with a combination of wheelsucking and major freewheeling, and I finished in the bunch.

NP for the 2h32 was 253 (wheelsucking! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif) . Peak 20 of 293, Peak 30 of 284

I didn't have the PT for the first club race but for the second (on the same course) last night the figures are as follows;

NP for 1h05 = 329 (AP 306), Peak 20 = 337 (AP 322), Peak 60 = 328 (AP 306)

Now based on the 95% rule this would give me an FTP of 320 which while I'd LOVE /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif I don't think is realistic (?). I'd considered upping it to 300 based on the 60min AP but leaning more towards 290.

Some of this is probably due to me begin slightly conservative and I'd rather wait for the test & more proof BUT is such a jump (30-40w) possible ?

My only explanation is that before I stopped, I was doing my 20min @ 320w so it might be a case of muscle memory and the more time restricted / intensive training, bringing results a bit quicker?

Any thoughts would be great.

7. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

I think your numbers are wrong.

8. giannip

giannip New Member

Thanks

9. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

If your average power was 300+w for an hour your FTP is most likely higher than that.

If you can get numbers like that on 4-6 hours a week, I can get you a paying job.

I think your numbers are wrong.

10. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Thoughts:

I'd put as much faith into AOG's thoughts as I would to a used car salesman or the Occupy Occutard crowd.

"Stomp test" your powertap. "zeroing" the PT before a ride is always a good thing but it's essential when training at a different temperature than you last zero'd it at. If the last time was at 7am on a Sunday at 50F and it's 85F at the start of the race there's a fair chance of slightly odd numbers. Zero it, stomp test and zero again before your next race and see what numbers you get.

Since you have an approximate FTP from the race, go out and see if you can ride at that for longer than 30 minutes in training. If you can hang with than number for over 40 minutes on a regular training night then chances are it's in the right ballpark for a full on, fully motivated effort.

11. giannip

giannip New Member

I have a paying job.

12. giannip

giannip New Member

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Thanks for the comment.

I clear my PT before every ride. Temperatures have been consistent for the past 6 months.

I should have qualified the above by saying that I have of course felt improvements in training ( on the 1st of April I did a climb of 15min @ 292 .

Also, recently tempo is not "feeling" like tempo. Increase in values as weeks go on e.g. Saturday spins for the past few weeks have tended to be of an NP of 250 for 1.5hrs and Sunday's around 230 for 2 - 2.5 hours.

Peak 20min for the race on Sunday (before the Wed race) was 292.

The test will speak for itself but I was just interested oo hear constructive comments.

13. giannip

giannip New Member

3rd Club race on Wed.

Steadier than the previous week but I was rarely away from the fornt as I was helping team mate control the race for his top 3 overall.

NP 312

Peak 20,30, 40min all within 5-10w

Wonder should I see what that paying job is all about....... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

14. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

More often than not NP is a poor measure of anything. Heart rate based functions are much better measures.

15. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Where in the world do you live to where temperatures are consistent for 6 months at all times of the day?

Is it 75F? If so, I want to live there...

Stomp test or die!

16. giannip

giannip New Member

I don't think you do...

Ireland, where the average yearly temperature is 10 celcius .

Typically days range from 10-15 celcius with a few days of 18-20 in summer if we're lucky

There are no real season, just one long autumn /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

By the way, figures from team mates who are of similar weight and contributed similarly are all very close which suggest. E.g. for a 2.5hr race my AP was within 10 watts for 3 of us.

17. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

I race master 1 (in ontario we do performance based, rather than age based vet categories.. so it's like Elite 1.. just for vets.)... sometimes we race with the 1,2,Pro (did last weekend)... i'm doing ok.. ave.. 2 rides per week.. sometimes 3.. maybe 2-3 times a season 4 rides in a week.. 5 to 10hrs a week...

what i've found the key is:

A) to REALLY just limit it to that 3 days week.. can do 4 periodically... it's the middle ground that messes you up.. always be fresh and do quality workouts
    B) do short 1-2 x 1-2hrs workouts (mostly threshold) during the week, then do a long 4-6hr long ride on the weekend.. periodically do two longer ones back to back.. but you really do need at least 1 x 4hr+ at least once a week..
    C) this will only work if you are coming down from many season of long hrs and you are coming from a pretty high level of fitness from other seasons.. have suggested it to people who are just starting out when the ask me what I do and it just doesn't seem to work... if you don't that base of year over year fitness it doesn't work...

i previously though that I needed at least 4 days, but after trying this.. performance is on par with 4 days a week and day to day it feels much better.. you get to that 90% fitness that allows you be competitive, but you do end up lacking a little bit.. often you can make up for that by being smart and efficient rather than just stomping your authority with fitness...

18. giannip

giannip New Member

That's pretty much what I;ve been doing since I started again in Feb. 2-3 rides per week (usually 2) of around 1hr and 1.5hrs on Sat and 2-2.5hrs on Sunday. I don;t have time for more so I make up for it byt upping the intensity of the rides. Pretty much a micture of VO2, sub-threshold and threshold. If I do a third day in the week, then the 2nd day is a little easier with a mixture of L2 & L3.

19. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

I would suggest that your performance is more due to you matching the training of your competition than reaching a personal peak.

A local senior Cat1 around here puts in a lot more time than you do and does well when the pros come to town (P,1 race not age group).

20. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

Precisely... I haven't done a proper season of training for 4 years now (since my son was born).. I tune my training to be competitive in my events and not more.. I was pointing out to the OP that you don't have to train to your ultimate potential to be competitive and have fun...