Lincoln -) Durham day ride

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Nutter, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Executive summary:

    Well, I tried it on Friday and made it to Northallerton before the weather made it impossible to
    continue. This was rather vexing, since I had under 30 miles to go at that point :(

    The full story:

    I set off at 0645, and noticed that the wind was a) rather stronger than forecast and b) coming
    from the wrong direction. Since the temperature was sub-zero and I couldn't even look forward to
    turning round and riding with the wind like I could on a normal ride this was rather disheartening.
    Still, I pressed on (slowly) and when the sun came out just before entering Gainsborough I cheered
    up a bit. Not least because I'd been thinking up fresh insults to use on metorologists should I
    happen to meet one.

    Due to the wintry weather, I'd revised my route to use gritted main roads for the most part.
    Unfortunately, the grit worked its way into the rear derailleur cable, resulting in some annoying
    mishifts from time to time. Also, I saw several car-wrecks nicely stored by the side of the road;
    such a cheery site when their precursors were hurtling by with inches to spare at times. Once rush
    hour was over, things became much more peaceful.

    I crossed the M18 junctions at 1000 and reached Selby for 11-ish. Unfortunately, the cold rendered
    all my finger food rather unappetising so I'd not eaten quite enough and consequently the last 20
    miles into York were extremely difficult. The world's largest baked potato, some hot soup sorted
    that out and I stopped thinking of the train station with such longing, instead preferring to ponder
    the fact that some people actually like deep-frozen mars bars. At that point, these unnatural folk
    were welcome to the contents of my jacket pockets.

    After a good long rest I set off again, rejoicing in the fact that the wind had dropped
    considerably. However, the blue sky was soon replaced by grey clouds, then a few flakes of snow
    fell. By the time I reached Northallerton at 1650 I was getting quite worried about continuing; I
    only had showerproof clothing and my gloves, once wet, wouldn't work at all. So, with reluctance I
    phoned a friend and got her to examine the BBC weather forecast on my behalf. Once she'd stopped
    laughing[1] she obliged and unfortunately the precipitation radar showed a huge snow storm about to
    descend and with great regret I boarded a train for Durham and abandoned my attempt :(

    With hindsight, it was the right decision since there was already a couple of cm on the ground by
    the time the train reached Darlington and much more in Durham itself. While on the train, I looked
    out of the windows and could barely see the trees at the top of the cutting, the snow was falling so
    thickly. Thinking positively, 115 miles into a headwind of varying strength was not a bad effort for
    someone who'd only done up to 70 miles in a day before. I'd done my first century at least :)

    Nevertheless, disappointing. Watching one of my mates attempting[2] to cook a barbeque in the snow
    later that evening and consuming half a crate of McEwan's "Red Death" Export more than made up for
    it though.

    There is only one answer of course. I'm going to do it again when the weather gets a bit warmer.
    Only this time I'll make sure I have a tailwind :)

    Regards,

    -david

    [1] "Er, hi. It's David. Now, this may sound a little odd but I want a current weather forecast for
    the Northallerton area..."
    [2] Suceeding, actually. We were impressed!

    Tags:

  2. On 01 Mar 2004 15:53:48 +0000, David Nutter <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Executive summary:
    >
    > Well, I tried it on Friday and made it to Northallerton before the weather made it impossible to
    > continue. This was rather vexing, since I had under 30 miles to go at that point :(

    Thanks for the story. You sure picked the worst day possible to go for it. I got a call from my
    better half mid-afternoon on Friday telling me that if I was going to get home at all I should set
    off there and then. I got the next bus to Consett, we then set off from Consett for home but we
    ended up abandoning the car less than a mile from the house, the final bank was unpassable, a foot
    deep in snow with a blizzard blowing. We walked the last mile which was eeery. You did right to get
    on the train.

    Colin

  3. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    So you missed out on the crates of beer then ? You probably made the right decision though. Try
    again when the weather is better. Good luck

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Executive summary:
    >
    > Well, I tried it on Friday and made it to Northallerton before the weather made it impossible to
    > continue. This was rather vexing, since I had under 30 miles to go at that point :(
    >
    > The full story:
    >
    > I set off at 0645, and noticed that the wind was a) rather stronger than forecast and b) coming
    > from the wrong direction. Since the temperature was sub-zero and I couldn't even look forward to
    > turning round and riding with the wind like I could on a normal ride this was rather
    > disheartening. Still, I pressed on (slowly) and when the sun came out just before entering
    > Gainsborough I cheered up a bit. Not least because I'd been thinking up fresh insults to use on
    > metorologists should I happen to meet one.

    You cycled through Gainsborough in winter! *Bows down*

    Simon Mason Cycle city nr 3 + Obesity capital nr 1 ??? Hull

  5. > Simon Mason Cycle city nr 3 + Obesity capital nr 1 ??? Hull

    Alas, not all cyclists are built liike anorexic whippets. I should know ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

  6. On 1 Mar 2004 19:06:39 -0800, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Simon Mason Cycle city nr 3 + Obesity capital nr 1 ??? Hull

    By the sole measure of (Type 2?) diabetes. I thought it interesting that the 'obesest' was Kingston
    upon Hull while the 'leanest' was Kingston upon Thames. Something in the water?

    Colin
    --

  7. Whingin' Pom

    Whingin' Pom Guest

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:48:03 -0000, Colin Blackburn
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 1 Mar 2004 19:06:39 -0800, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Mason Cycle city nr 3 + Obesity capital nr 1 ??? Hull
    >
    >By the sole measure of (Type 2?) diabetes. I thought it interesting that the 'obesest' was Kingston
    >upon Hull while the 'leanest' was Kingston upon Thames. Something in the water?

    Golden Syrup, perhaps?
    --
    Matt K Dunedin, NZ

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On 1 Mar 2004 19:06:39 -0800, Simon Mason <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Simon Mason Cycle city nr 3 + Obesity capital nr 1 ??? Hull
    >
    > By the sole measure of (Type 2?) diabetes. I thought it interesting that the 'obesest' was
    > Kingston upon Hull while the 'leanest' was Kingston upon Thames. Something in the water?

    Something in the fish + chips more like it!

  9. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    MSeries <[email protected]> said:
    > So you missed out on the crates of beer then ?

    Nah, we shared it out, considering I had to abandon the attempt due to foul weather rather than
    simply getting too tired to continue.

    > You probably made the right decision though. Try again when the weather is better. Good luck

    Oh I will! Thanks.

    Regards,

    -david

  10. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> said:
    > On 01 Mar 2004 15:53:48 +0000, David Nutter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Executive summary:
    >>
    >> Well, I tried it on Friday and made it to Northallerton before the weather made it impossible to
    >> continue. This was rather vexing, since I had under 30 miles to go at that point :(
    >
    > Thanks for the story. You sure picked the worst day possible to go for it.

    Yeah. Bloody weather gods :)

    > I got a call from my better half mid-afternoon on Friday telling me that if I was going to get
    > home at all I should set off there and then. I got the next bus to Consett, we then set off from
    > Consett for home but we ended up abandoning the car less than a mile from the house, the final
    > bank was unpassable, a foot deep in snow with a blizzard blowing. We walked the last mile which
    > was eeery. You did right to get on the train.

    Blimey. I'm glad I didn't have to go through any hills on the ride up...

    I fell over coming out of the station in Durham as well; it would appear that conditions were a
    little *too* exciting for everyone that night whatever mode of transport they were using! I hope you
    managed to dig your car out the next day.

    Regards,

    -david