Linebacker on a bike...Damn!

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006

Kinda reminds of my playin' days and seeing Christian Okoye (6'2" 250lbs - the N!gerian Nightmare) breaking through the line untouched and I gotta tackle 'em..."uh-oh, this is going to hurt!":D.

Photo is of track racer Eddie Dawkins (20yo!) from New Zealand who just rode a 1:01 kilo - flyin'!

Eddie set three NZ records at Elite Champs, 1.01.5 for 1000m, 10.3 for 200m and sub 45sec for Teams Sprint (250m track) of sub45sec with Sam Webster and Ethan Mitchell. Funny thing for all his size he has a very slow first lap for a Kilo of 19.1(some start under 18sec) but holds his speed well. Bit like Chris Hoy.

fergie said:
Eddie set three NZ records at Elite Champs, 1.01.5 for 1000m, 10.3 for 200m and sub 45sec for Teams Sprint (250m track) of sub45sec with Sam Webster and Ethan Mitchell. Funny thing for all his size he has a very slow first lap for a Kilo of 19.1(some start under 18sec) but holds his speed well. Bit like Chris Hoy.

fergie, fergie...

Your not telling me this guy lifts heavy weights are you?. Surely not. Its so wrong!!!.

What do you put this guys success down to???... Cranking his road bike pointlessly down the road 12 hours per day.

LMFAO.

$ick3nin.vend3t said:
fergie, fergie...

Your not telling me this guy lifts heavy weights are you?. Surely not. Its so wrong!!!.

What do you put this guys success down to???... Cranking his road bike pointlessly down the road 12 hours per day.

LMFAO.

Well seeing some of us actually understand cycling, we would know that a Kilo needs to be paced (see the Kilo example I gave) and Eddie is a perfect example starting a 1:01.5 Kilo with a 19.1 sec start lap. Eddie used to start Kilo's with a 18 sec first lap and told me that his Aussie rival Scott Sunderland would start with a sub 18 sec first lap. This was when the Aussies thought peak speed and power was everything rather than power over the whole distance. Eddie has obviously learned this lesson and his performances reflect this.

$ick3nin.vend3t said:
fergs, fergs...

LMFAO.

This chap sounds familiar.

:D

Appears Dawkins has slimmed down as of late.
The current German sprinters at the top are definitely going in the opposite direction.
Interesting.

What I believe to be a current photo of Hoy.
Another that appears to have slimmed down considerably.

How about a Pro-Bowler on a bike? For those with a short attention span - fast forward to 00:30.

Excellent upload, Maydog!
Basically takes the words straight out of my mouth, and vice versa, with regard to the opposite ends of the spectrum that road cycling and playing football occupy on the energy requirement continuum.
I think I could take Shannon though! LOL!

Shannon's comment about playing an explosive sport and being required to train almost exclusively in an explosive manner is so true. This fact illustrates the beauty that I've found with cycling in that it encompasses and demands increases in anaerobic as well as aerobic fitness. Needless to say, there is an extremely minute amount of need for aerobic fitness in football - maybe only necessary while jogging onto the field before the game. LOL! And more reinforcement as to how sadistic I thought the Strength and Conditioning coaches for the Univ. of Washington Huskies and New England Pats were for requiring to us run a mile in a prescribed time before the season. For this kid, that was the toughest day, training wise, of the entire year.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

Excellent upload, Maydog!
Basically takes the words straight out of my mouth, and vice versa, with regard to the opposite ends of the spectrum that road cycling and playing football occupy on the energy requirement continuum.
I think I could take Shannon though! LOL!
I can't recall if he rides competitively, but Zdeno Chara (6'9" D for the Boston Bruins) likes to cycle as well.

....I would guess he struggles up hills but is pure hell going down.

Yeah, Chara is probably a decent enough climber, considering his size. He has some serious leverage (i.e. long legs) working on his side. Maybe not so well on the long climbs, but I bet he can really motor up the short, explosive pure power climbs.

Hockey players, AFAIK, must be in all-around great shape - aerobically and anaerobically. The sport requires considerable amounts of both types of exertion. Trevor Linden, a longtime Vancouver Canuck, has been extremely competitive in his first couple years of competitive cycling in this area.