Lines/Mottos That Make You Push

Tripped

Feb 5, 2006
being a new cyclist, I, tend to think of getting the train home after 50km, but what makes me ride all the way home again is 'You cycled here, You will get home from here' and that normally makes me do it. and i feel like im letting myself down by just taking the easy way afterwards.
:D

Well, it would be one of these three:

"Keep it greasey so it will go down easy."--Frank Zappa

"One of these days I'm going to cut you up into little pieces."--One of These Days, by Pink Floyd

"I want to f**king tear you apart"--She Wants Revenge

Here's my snowboarding one.....

"Fear is my enemy. My enemy must be defeated".

However, on a bad day this becomes....

"Fear is my enema. My enema etc..." :eek:

For cycling it's the good old "No pain, no gain".

i tend not to cycle in urban areas with trains and people, so when i am out on the mtb i recite my favourite motto....

'i either have to cycle home or walk it with the bike on my back'

i usually plump for the former.

besides, the 3:15 from Waterloo doesnt stop at the northern summit of the Cullin Ridge, Skye

Cyclists train to overcome a laundry list of suffering: wind, gravity, weather, not to mention their own minds. When you think about it though cycling isn't really about suffering, it is about recovering to suffer again and improve. That's why we ride more than once in our lives.

"In this life, you don't have to prove nothin' to nobody but yourself. " ~Rudy

"I like pain"

"If I quit now, they win" ~ Fox Mulder

"Why not?"

List goes on and on.

Tripped said:
being a new cyclist, I, tend to think of getting the train home after 50km, but what makes me ride all the way home again is 'You cycled here, You will get home from here' and that normally makes me do it. and i feel like im letting myself down by just taking the easy way afterwards.
:D
After a commute on a particularly cold morning, somebody at work asked me, "How do you do it?" I jokingly responded, "There's two kinds of people in this world, those that are wimps and those that aren't wimps."

"I think I can,
I think I can..."
Repeat ad nauseam,all the way to the top.

The little red engine. ;)

I have two mantras that I live with.

The first is - " I will never be fat again" normally i look down at my legs and flex to show myself the muscle definition.

The second is when I am hurting up a hill or suffering after a long day.

"Pain doesn't last, Bones Heal and Chicks dig scars!" :)

does being a firefighter and playing with your hose make you push just that extra to make it up a big hill? jks jks

I usually go with "pain is weakness leaving your body"
Then I use "I'm better than you are"
Then I go with "Oh my god I just popped a lung"

" We do what you won't do know, so we can do what you can't do later"

" Suffer now, or suffer then"

How about 'do these man boobs look good on me?'

Or what I tend to say to myself 'dont be such a little *****.'

The former might have been something I considered when I was a tubby teenager but the latter is definately a thought that goes through my head at present when I'm feeling a little lazy and want to take the short cut home.

Most of the time I just enjoy the ride... I am not a "great" cyclist, I am not sure if I even consider myself a "cyclist"... but I do enjoy riding a lot. So when I am gasping for breath and there is nothing left in my legs, I will say... "c'mon, you're having a great time. You don't want to cheat yourself out of any of this fun do you?"

When that isn't enough, I try to think about other things... songs... exciting chase scenes from movies, what I will eat when I am done... "3 miles to the ice cream shop"

And sometimes I think of how stupid it looks for a guy wearing the whole biking rig to push a fancy, schmancy bike up a hill and so pride gets me to grit out a hill or two every ride. But when I am really up against it, I think about the bastards.

I started cycling because I was fat out of shape and headed for chronic illness. I realized this after a 5 day hospital stay that involved a battery of tests, most embarassing and some painful. So when I need a bit of motivation I look down at the scar on my leg and say "Don't let the bastards win"

To stick with a fitness regime, I really believe you need a variety of reasons to stick with it. I really needed to take ownership of what I wasn't doing for myself, and I do. I was letting myself die. I also enjoy how much better every physical activity in my life feels now that I am in shape. But I also lean on hate. I lost 80 pounds in a year and I am coming up on my one year anniversary of being at my ideal weight. I am not going to let the bastards win!

Real response: I don't think anything when I'm suffering. I use a trick I learned from too many orthopedic manglings and physical therapy sessions: I just disappear into this zen-like state inside the pain. It's almost like becoming one with the pain, but not so korny sounding. There was a book written about such things, called Bone Games, by Rob Schultheis. It's a good read.