Link Repost Request

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple to
    double, effectively creating a compact crank.

    I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.

    I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or isn't
    a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to be a
    shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding for a change?]

    Thanks in advance,
    David

    Tags:

  2. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    David wrote:
    > With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    > US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple to
    > double, effectively creating a compact crank.
    >
    > I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    > friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.
    >
    > I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or isn't
    > a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    > financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to be a
    > shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding for a change?]
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > David

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:29:39 -0600, David <[email protected]> wrote:

    >With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    >US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple to
    >double, effectively creating a compact crank.
    >
    >I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    >friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.
    >
    >I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or isn't
    >a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    >financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to be a
    >shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding for a change?]
    >
    >Thanks in advance,

    No machining needed in my experience; just dismount the granny ring
    and leave off the bolts. The lateral spacing between sprockets is the
    same for doubles and triples, the latter just have one more sprocket.
    If the resulting positions are too far to the right, sometimes people
    swap the big ring to the other side of the spider (adding spacers as
    required for the smaller ring), but I'd avoid that if possible.
    Removing the granny ring won't make a compact crankset out of a
    large-circle one, in any event; you would have to move the bolt hole
    locations and possibly change the number of bolts if that was the real
    goal, and AFAIK no one does that, as the solid bosses to accomplish it
    are generally not present in the right places to make it work.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    David wrote:
    > With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    > US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple to
    > double, effectively creating a compact crank.
    >
    > I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    > friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.
    >
    > I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or isn't
    > a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    > financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to be a
    > shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding for a
    > change?]

    We did that for a few years because Sugino had dropped their
    110mm double.
    Now that Sugino has that as a standard product again in
    170mm, 172.5mm and 175mm arms, we only machine them for 165mm

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  5. Werehatrack wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:29:39 -0600, David <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    > >US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple to
    > >double, effectively creating a compact crank.
    > >
    > >I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    > >friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.
    > >
    > >I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or isn't
    > >a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    > >financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to be a
    > >shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding for a change?]
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance,

    > No machining needed in my experience; just dismount the granny ring
    > and leave off the bolts.

    I just can't understand why anyone would spend money to make their
    crankset less useful. A you say, if you want a "compact double", remove
    the inner/granny ring, mount the suitable outer and inner (e.g., 50/34)
    and ride on. But, should a ride in big hill country arise, you still
    have the option of making it a triple again with the proper chainrings
    and, maybe, a longer BB/BB spindle.

  6. A Muzi wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> With apologies; I searched and searched but can't find the link for a
    >> US-based shop that sells cranks that have been machined from triple
    >> to double, effectively creating a compact crank.
    >>
    >> I would swear I saw it here, but I gave up swearing for lent. Told a
    >> friend about it recently but sent him to the wrong site.
    >>
    >> I'm not trying to start an endless discussion about why this is or
    >> isn't a good idea, or questioning why it does or doesn't makes sense
    >> financially, ethically, or otherwise. [Although there does seem to
    >> be a shortage of OT posts recently - maybe everybody is out riding
    >> for a change?]

    > We did that for a few years because Sugino had dropped their
    > 110mm double.
    > Now that Sugino has that as a standard product again in
    > 170mm, 172.5mm and 175mm arms, we only machine them for 165mm
    >
    > http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

    The picture doesn't show the modified one, does it?
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  7. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:04:33 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> http://www.yellowjersey.org/crankcut.html

    >The picture doesn't show the modified one, does it?

    Yeah it does. Take a closer look. The one without the rings is
    modified. Look at where the small ring bolts on, there is less
    material there.
    It took me a while to see it too.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > The picture doesn't show the modified one, does it?

    Yes, that's our machined and polishd surface on the left,
    triple on the right.