Linseed recipes - crackers, muffins, prridge etc! Yum

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jules, Dec 16, 2005.

  1. Jules

    Jules Guest

    Hello all :)
    I'm new to this group but have been low carbing the Atkins way for the last
    9 weeks and have lost nearly 2 stone! The most I've ever lost - like a lot
    of you probably other diets just didn't work and you wondered why. Now I
    know. Basically I was ADDICTED to carbs!

    Anyway on to my new found recipes.
    I belong to ediets.co.uk (there's a .com equivalent too) and we all swap
    recipes etc there, so I tried a couple out yesterday - the crackers and
    cookies.
    They are gorgeous!
    I also think that if you add nuts to the linseed and butter they would make
    a great biscuity base for cheesecake or any other pudding.
    You could even use it to make mince pies!

    Buy linseeds from any good health food shop.

    LINSEED RECIPES

    COOKIES (This makes one)

    2 Teaspoons ground linseed.
    Pinch of cinnamon
    1 teaspoon Splenda
    1 Teaspoon butter
    2 Teaspoon water

    Mix dry ingredients, add butter, nuke for like 25 seconds, remove and mix
    together. Add water, mix, pour & spread on wax paper. Microwave for about 2
    1/2 to 4 minutes until crispy. Enjoy.

    (you may want to add more seed when you've added the water to thicken up the
    consistency)

    They taste like a oatmeal cinnamon cookie.

    ****************************

    CRACKERS

    2 tbsp ground linseed
    1 tbsp water

    Make a paste. Spread out thinly on parchment paper (greaseproof), sprinkle
    what ever seasoning you like...my fav is just plain old salt and pepper. I
    make one big cracker, but you can make them into little round or square
    cracker shapes.
    Microwave for 2 min.

    I top mine with cream cheese.

    ******************************

    PANCAKES

    2 tablespoons ground linseed
    1 egg
    30 ml cream
    1 teaspoon Splenda
    Cinnamon pinch

    Just mix and fry with butter.

    ***************

    They are fine for induction (As they are mentioned as a legal fibre source)
    as long as you do not exceed 2 tablespoons worth a day. The seeds on their
    own are 5g of carbs per 100g of seed. Someone at the board I got all these
    ideas from calculated what the ground seed is:

    1 x 15ml spoon: 0.4
    2 x 15ml spoons: 0.8
    3 x 15ml spoons: 1.2
    4 x 15ml spoons: 1.6
    5 x 15ml spoons: 1.0
    6 x 15ml spoons: 2.0
    7 x 15ml spoons: 2.8
    8 x 15ml spoons: 3.2

    Enjoy! xxxx Oh, if you don't have wax paper, clingfilm is fine. I press down
    the cookies and crackers by folding the clingfilm over it as the paste is
    pretty sticky.

    It's great for your skin, essential Omega oils in it and it keeps you
    regular! :)

    ***************

    MUFFINS

    1 egg
    2-3 ounces of cream cheese
    1 teaspoon splenda
    pinch of cinnamon
    3 teaspoons linseed (ground)

    Alternatively, you can make this savoury. I omit the splenda and cinnamon
    for marmite :)

    soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for 15-20
    sec.
    Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.

    Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)

    LOW CARB PORRIDGE

    2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    knob of butter
    1 Tbsp fresh cream
    1 Splenda tablet
    boiling water from kettle

    1 Grind the golden linseed
    2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    3. Add the splenda tablet
    4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred
    consistency.
    5. Add the cream & butter.

    (about 1 1/2 carbs per serving)

    ENJOY!!

    Juliexx

    Tags:

  2. Sharri

    Sharri Guest

    sounds pretty good - might have to give a few of these a try

    thx
    Sharri
    254.4 / 225.6 / 135
    started: Oct 19/05
    mini goal: 195 by Jan 22 (my birthday - wishful thinking.

    "Jules" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
> [...]

    > for marmite :)
    >
    > soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for 15-20
    > sec.
    > Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    > add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    > nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.
    >
    > Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)
    >

    > LOW CARB PORRIDGE
    >

    > 2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    > 2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    > knob of butter
    > 1 Tbsp fresh cream
    > 1 Splenda tablet
    > boiling water from kettle
    >
    > 1 Grind the golden linseed
    > 2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    > 3. Add the splenda tablet
    > 4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred

  3. Hannah Gruen

    Hannah Gruen Guest

    Jules wrote:
    > Hello all :)
    > I'm new to this group but have been low carbing the Atkins way for
    > the last 9 weeks and have lost nearly 2 stone! The most I've ever
    > lost - like a lot of you probably other diets just didn't work and
    > you wondered why. Now I know. Basically I was ADDICTED to carbs!

    Good going, Julie!

    > I also think that if you add nuts to the linseed and butter they
    > would make a great biscuity base for cheesecake or any other pudding.
    > You could even use it to make mince pies!

    My favored crust for cheesecakes has always been a half-and-half mix of
    ground flaxseed and finely chopped walnuts or pecans, mixed with some melted
    butter and a bit of artificial sweetener and pressed into the bottom and up
    the side of the pan. For some flavors of cheesecake I might add some
    cinnamon, also. It really makes a wonderful crust, similar in appearance to
    the traditional graham cracker crust, but more flavorful, and best of all,
    it does not get soggy when stored.

    HG

  4. Jules wrote:

    > Buy linseeds from any good health food shop.

    US places tend to call them flax seeds.

  5. Cookies, crackers, muffins, pancakes and porridge are not low carb.

    No wonder you're obese.

    --
    Most people are dumb as bricks; some people are dumber than that. -- MFW

> [...]
    > for marmite :)
    >
    > soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for 15-20
    > sec.
    > Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    > add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    > nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.
    >
    > Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)
    >

    > LOW CARB PORRIDGE
    >

    > 2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    > 2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    > knob of butter
    > 1 Tbsp fresh cream
    > 1 Splenda tablet
    > boiling water from kettle
    >
    > 1 Grind the golden linseed
    > 2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    > 3. Add the splenda tablet
    > 4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred

  6. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    For some, if carbs are low enough long enough, carb cravings go away. Many
    reduced carb recipes are still high in carbs by percentage. I suspect they
    are a stepping stone to the return to carbs and weight regain.

> [...]

    > for marmite :)
    >
    > soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for 15-20
    > sec.
    > Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    > add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    > nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.
    >
    > Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)
    >

    > LOW CARB PORRIDGE
    >

    > 2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    > 2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    > knob of butter
    > 1 Tbsp fresh cream
    > 1 Splenda tablet
    > boiling water from kettle
    >
    > 1 Grind the golden linseed
    > 2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    > 3. Add the splenda tablet
    > 4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred

  7. Jules

    Jules Guest

    "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For some, if carbs are low enough long enough, carb cravings go away.

    Many
    > reduced carb recipes are still high in carbs by percentage. I suspect

    they
    > are a stepping stone to the return to carbs and weight regain.

    I'm consuming around 20 gram of carbs a day and your right - carb cravings
    do go away. BUT its still nice, occasionally, to have something crispy, or
    ro use as a base for something else.

> [...]

    > > for marmite :)
    > >
    > > soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for

    15-20
    > > sec.
    > > Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    > > add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    > > nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.
    > >
    > > Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)
    > >

    > > LOW CARB PORRIDGE
    > >

    > > 2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    > > 2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    > > knob of butter
    > > 1 Tbsp fresh cream
    > > 1 Splenda tablet
    > > boiling water from kettle
    > >
    > > 1 Grind the golden linseed
    > > 2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    > > 3. Add the splenda tablet
    > > 4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred

  8. Jules

    Jules Guest

    "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Cookies, crackers, muffins, pancakes and porridge are not low carb.
    >
    > No wonder you're obese.

    You obviously didnt read my post!
    The recipes are made with linseed (probably, flaxseed to you) and are NOT
    high carb - infact if your read the carb content there VERY low.

> [...]

    > > for marmite :)
    > >
    > > soften the cream cheese in a microwavable bowl in the microwave for

    15-20
    > > sec.
    > > Mix flavour and sweetener into the cream cheese
    > > add egg and linseed, mix leaving a little lumpy.
    > > nuke 1-3 min depending on your microwave and how dry you want it.
    > >
    > > Linseed is known as Flax in the US. :)
    > >

    > > LOW CARB PORRIDGE
    > >

    > > 2 Tbsp pure soya isolate powder (available from Holland and Barrett)
    > > 2 Tbsps golden linseeds
    > > knob of butter
    > > 1 Tbsp fresh cream
    > > 1 Splenda tablet
    > > boiling water from kettle
    > >
    > > 1 Grind the golden linseed
    > > 2 Mix the golden linseed to the isolate powder.
    > > 3. Add the splenda tablet
    > > 4. Add some boiling water while mixing all the time until the preferred

  9. Cookies, crackers, muffins, pancakes and porridge are not low carb.

    --
    You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW