LINUX = Unicyclist

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by fleshflower, Jun 11, 2004.

  1. fleshflower

    fleshflower Guest

    I have been wondering about something. It involved LINUX, and the
    wonderful unicycle. You see, this forum reminds me of some of the Linux
    forums I have visited. Then I noticed that some uni-riders have actually
    referred to Linux. Is is a coincidence that I am a Linux user, and I
    ride the unicycle?

    I decided to post this poll to find out if there is a correlation
    between unicyclists and users of the LINUX operating system....

    Dr. Fleshflower

    --
    fleshflower - Expert/Failure

    There are many ways to put air into your unicycle tire, but attempting
    to blow into it with your mouth and lungs is the hardest.--Abraham
    Lincoln
    fleshflower's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6632

  2. unigamer

    unigamer Guest

  3. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    I was going to vote twice. I have Mac OSX on my new laptop (got it for
    Christmas). I'm moving everything from my old PC to that. At work I
    still use Windows 2000, and my home machine also has Windows 2000.

    For those that didn't know, Mac OSX runs on top of Unix.

    "Linux" contains "uni" spelled backward. But in Unix it's spelled the
    right way.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

  4. Adrian

    Adrian Guest

  5. zod

    zod Guest

    I run the MS OS's....... I really don't have time to mess with Linux
    although I'd be interested in getting in depth with it. But I make my
    living in a microsoft environment.

    --
    zod - Southern Fried mUni
    zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

  6. Mojoe

    Mojoe Guest

    I use Windows XP and I really love it. However, I am constantly being
    bombarded with Mac propaganda from my instructors at college and from
    the cheesy Mac lifestyle ads at apple.com. I'm what you would call "Mac
    curious". I'd love to give OSX a try. I've only used OS9 so far, and my
    biggest problem is the little things like managing the different
    applications on the desktop. In Windows, you can see everything you have
    running on the task bar. Also, I'm not up on the Mac keyboard shortcuts,
    so that tends to slow me down some.

    Secretly, I'd love to get an ibook, but I'd really like to work with OSX
    first.

    Joe

    --
    Mojoe - DILLIGAF

    Nothing to see here... move along.
    Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

  7. I have run all different distros of linux, and I also use Windows XP
    (for photoshop and bryce)

    I've used Slackware, Gentoo, Mandrake, Red Hat, Vector Linux, Arch
    Linux, College Linux, Fedora Core 1, SuSe, Lycoris, Ice Pack Linux, and
    Turbo Linux. I have also used live linux distributions such as Knoppix,
    Slax, PHLAK, Damn Small Linux, F.I.R.E., and Knoppix STD.

    I've used Mac OSX as well, and I found it to be something fun to play
    with, but I wouldn't like to use it as a main OS.

    I saw "BSP" as an option, I assume you mean BSD? I haven't used BSD yet,
    but I'd like to try FreeBSD in the future.

    --
    digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

    "can you do a wheelie on that?!"
    --Some kid I saw when I was riding
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  8. jason

    jason Guest

    I'm an old unix hack from way back to the AT&T Unix days. Now I run
    FreeBSD unix exclusively on my personal computer and my daughter has a
    Mac OSX laptop which, as John pointed out, runs a BSD derivitive of
    unix. I also support a lot of unix boxes. However, as odd as this may
    seem, I don't do a whole lot with Linux or System V in general.

    I even sport some BSD Unix on my highly modified 'KH24'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq88).

    Cheers,
    Jason

    --
    jason - Just some guy
    jason's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1014

  9. uni_bear

    uni_bear Guest

    I've worked with Unix for fifteen years and Linux for about ten. I did
    all of my Masters thesis on a Linux platform. Great OS - stable, compact
    and secure with powerful built in utilities, but is not as easy to use
    as XP. If you program it rocks.

    --
    uni_bear
    uni_bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6516

  10. phil

    phil Guest

    zod wrote:
    > *But I make my living in a microsoft environment.*

    Solaris and LynxOS all the way, babyyyy!

    I have Slackware installed at home from my degree project last year, but
    I hardly ever use it now. Windows 2000 is my main OS here.

    Phil

    --
    phil - ex-studenty type

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

  11. gkmac

    gkmac Guest

    First dipped my toes into Linux over 2 years ago, now I use it on my
    desktop everyday for just about everything. Surfing the web, e-mails,
    playing music and movies...

    My main desktop PC can still "dual boot" into Windows 98 for the odd
    game playing session, but my laptop only runs Linux and nothing else.

    If you're curious to see what Linux is like (and you have a CD writer) I
    strongly recommend 'Knoppix'
    (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html). This allows you to try
    out a typical Linux desktop system simply by booting the Live CD; it
    never touches your hard drive at all and can set itself up to work with
    most PC hardware straight away.

    --
    gkmac - Level 1 + idle
    gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Mojoe wrote:
    > *I'm what you would call "Mac curious".*

    I was for years. But I think I'm lucky I never really got into it until
    OSX. It's much nicer than the previous versions.
    > *In Windows, you can see everything you have running on the task bar.
    > Also, I'm not up on the Mac keyboard shortcuts, so that tends to slow
    > me down some.*

    OSX has an equivalent of the Taskbar, showing everything running. But
    their concept of an "open" program is a little different. ALT+TAB is
    there, but it also works a little different. It's a little frustrating
    but I'm gradually getting more comfortable with it.

    For keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl = Command. Remember that and the majority
    of keyboard shortcuts are already translated. Your hand just has to get
    used to defaulting to that Command key.

    The Mac is designed to be more user-friendly for "normal" people,
    allowing them to get things done without having to become experts. I
    think the more of a techie you are, the less you will like OSX, unless
    you're into Unix, which is a whole different story. What you *do* get
    with OSX is a lot of well-integrated software, designed with your tasks
    in mind. You can do a lot of cool stuff with a lot less learning,
    reading, and experiementing like you'd typically have to do with
    powerful Windows software.

    What you *don't* get are the huge choices of software and hardware.
    Hardware for the Mac is usually very good to excellent, and usually a
    little pricey as well. Software is less abundant. I'm disappointed I
    haven't been able to find a good equivalent to the ThumbsPlus program I
    use in Windows to manage my zillions of images. So far I'm working with
    ACDsee and iView Media Pro. If they were one program, I'd be very happy.
    But each is missing a few little features ThumbsPlus has...

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

  13. I am in the process of remastering Knoppix/Feather-Linux to include MANY
    features like loopback encryption, video caputure, and a FULLY
    functional browser.

    Currently, I use Suse 9.0, 8.2, and 9.1 and have used Redhat in the
    past. I am excited about building an OS that runs from (and be easily
    installed from) CD for *daily* use. Imagine being able to take your OS
    and configurations anywhere!

    I realized that there are only a few core tasks that I do with a
    computer, and it doesn't take a "fully blown" installed OS to meet my
    needs and there will be durability benefits (like not worrying about
    hackers, crashed filesystems, or ftp updates).

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  14. cyberbellum

    cyberbellum Guest

    I wish I could vote for three systems. My home computers are Macs,
    because OSX is so rugged and easy to use. I have a G-4 laptop for email
    and general office stuff and a dual G5 monster for numerical
    simulations, software development and watching DVDs (I don't have a TV).
    The G5 screen is absolutely AMAZING because Apple's main market are
    graphics professionals. Apple would have lost that market if their
    screens were just OK.

    I do most of my work on Windows machines because I have to. My day-job
    hands out Windows 2000 as general stock, and my consulting laptop uses
    Windows XP Professional because I have to run MathCad and a few other
    Windows-Only packages. I hate both of them. They're hard to use and
    kinda flakey. The last "update" Microsoft sent permanently damaged the
    OS. It scrambles memory sticks and won't work on the WiFi network any
    more. I'm tired of wasting my time trying to fix it.

    I also program in Java on a net of linux machines in the lab. Wonderful
    stuff, Linux. I'm seriously thinking of converting my consulting laptop
    to Linux and running MathCad on Wine so I can take advantage of the cool
    Linux user interface, but I'm no OS guru. The guys at the lab keep
    offering to set my machine up. Someday I'll take them up on that offer.

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    I was standing in the park wondering why frisbees get bigger as they get
    closer. Then it hit me.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  15. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    Laptop Name: Tiny God. OS installed: Gentoo Linux.

    I still have Windows XP installed on my desktop box, but I don't know
    why... all it seems to have been doing the last 6 months is using up my
    40G hard drive. I also have Gentoo on it, and that's what runs 99% of
    the time, except for the odd Counterstrike or Freelancer game.

    I enjoy Linux's reliability, cost, performance, and the fact that I can
    make it look as pretty or ugly as I want. It just rocks.

    Sure, it can be a pain to learn how to use, and depending on the distro
    you use it can be easier or harder than Windows for most things (Rock
    Linux anyone?) but if all of us here took the easy way, we be reading
    Rec.Sport.Bicycling instead ;)

    My name is Nick, and I've been a Linux b1tch for 7 years now. (Since
    RedHat 6.2).

    --
    evil-nick - One-Wheeled Psycho!

    Unicyclists do it on one wheel.
    evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

  16. Ken Cline

    Ken Cline Guest

    "johnfoss" <[email protected]> writes:

    > For those that didn't know, Mac OSX runs on top of Unix.

    Hmm...

    Technically, Mac OS X includes BSD Unix functionality within a MACH
    2.5/BSD derived Operating System (derived from NextStep and OpenStep).
    The user interface is build on top of Darwin, the combination of the
    Mach microkernel, a BSD kernel grafted into Mach, and the IOKit
    services. It is a different beast than straight BSD Unix.

    Ken

  17. unisteve

    unisteve Guest

    I LIKE Linux a lot more than Windows, and Mandrake 10 is pretty cool,
    but I still use Windows for my main OS.

    The main reason is that I can do everything I need in Windows, but not
    everything (like gaming) in Linux.

    Sure, Linux is a lot more customizable, better-looking, more secure,
    more user-friendly (or so I believe) than Windows, but I don't see the
    need for two OSes when I only really need to use one.

    I like Linux, so I may load Mandrake 10 back onto this comp sometime,
    but for now Windows XP is doing the trick.

    BTW, Open Source still pwnz j00. :p

    --
    unisteve - Folding for team # 13392

    "I live on the edge. Sometimes I fall off." -Me

    "The saying, 'It's not if you win or lose, but how you play the game'
    was perpetuated by losers." -Some judge on a reality show

    Join our folding team (# 13392)! Check out www.unisteve.unicyclist.com
    for more details.
    unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543

  18. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I like to play games and mac as you probly know is not really a gaming
    system. Linux I would like to use sometime can have some games played on
    it like Unreal Tornament 2004.

    funny video on mac gamers
    http://webdev.o1.com/rvb/movies/switch/RvB_switch.mov right click save
    as

    --
    Tim - Coker user

    I got me a new summit for $191!
    Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

  19. > Laptop Name: Tiny God. OS installed: Gentoo Linux.

    Heh, thats a fitting name if I've ever heard one.

    --
    digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

    "can you do a wheelie on that?!"
    --Some kid I saw when I was riding
    digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

  20. Magic 8 Ball

    Magic 8 Ball Guest

    fleshflower wrote:
    > *I have been wondering about something. Is is a coincidence that I am
    > a Linux user, and I ride the unicycle?*

    My sources say yes.

    --
    Magic 8 Ball - Concentrate and ask again...
    Magic 8 Ball's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5545