LINUX = Unicyclist

am i the only one here who uses debian?

ive used to be an atari fan but these days i use linux because you can
actualy get new hardware.

whilst the majority here use windows ii think that the linux percentage
here is higher than in the rest of the world.

what it probably indicates is that people who unicycle don't mind
standing out from the crowd, just like linux users.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

I am also a linux user. It makes my computer look and feel how I want it.

In the beginning (two years ago) I used both systems (linux and windows).
Now after two years I don't use windows any more and decided to delete that
operating system.

The first distro I tried was mandrake. But I really started using linux with
a redhat distribution. Then I stept over to Debian and I liked that distro
the most, but because an computer upgrade, I needed newer software and I
knew that the newest version of mandrake supported that, so I stept over to
mandrake again. That was the easiest way for me.

Walter

Well my avator sais enough.... which OS I like the most.

'unicycle.net'
(http://ripe.net/perl/whois?searchtext=UNICYCLE-MNT&form_type=simple)
has been running Sun Cobalt 2 on mips, Sun Cobalt 3i,
then I became more serious and switched to redhat 6.2 redhat 7, redhat
8.
But those rpm's drive me crazy. Then I've tried Suse, Mandrake,
Caldera.
untill I discoverd the BSD flavours: FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Nokia IPSO
(netbsd?).
Since recently I run another Linux Slackware box.

Let's skip the switches, routers, firewalls, APC's, etc.

Right now cvsup5.nl.freebsd.org hangs in 'our' (http://unixcycle.com/)
cage (in the AMS-IX / NL-IX suitte) cabinet...,
so you don't have to ask which OS is my favourite.

| Attachment filename: srvs.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/216365|

leo - errorist

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
866-UNI-CYCL

NAUCC 2004 fact: -The translation into Dutch of the opposite of "Salt
Lake" makes the name of the hometown of 'Klaas Bil'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=3442).
The largest mormon church of The Netherlands is based in that village as
well.-
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

evil-nick wrote:
> *Evilewan, did you have Linux running on the Atari? I've got a TT030
> lying around, but haven't figured out how to get Linux on it yet... *

i don't but its possible,
i'd love to have one to play with( i love exotic hardware)

probably debian has the best support for 68k

http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/

http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

linux will run on it, and its probably one of the best ataris to do it
with.

btw i am a nerd and i'm not ashamed to admit it.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--

Ken Cline wrote:
> *Technically, Mac OS X includes BSD Unix functionality within a MACH
> 2.5/BSD derived Operating System (derived from NextStep and
> OpenStep).
> The user interface is build on top of Darwin, the combination of the
> Mach microkernel, a BSD kernel grafted into Mach, and the IOKit
> services. It is a different beast than straight BSD Unix.*

Uh, That's what I meant.

For the rest of us, who just felt the above paragraph passing momenarily
between their ears, it *basically* runs on top of Unix. :)

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"if you can do balloon animals,you can lace your own wheel." -- Jagur

That why I don't mind doing helpdesk work for Mac OS-X users...
just using the console to manage the system.

> -Originally e-mailed to me by Steve Jobs-
> *Please join us at WWDC in San Francisco on June 28 for a preview of
> Tiger,
> the next major release of Mac OS X. It will be worth it.
>
> See you there,
> Steve*

Wonder if now finaly all FreeBSD copyright notices has been removed...

Also in almost all web-stats it shows up that today there are more
people using Linux than Mac desktops. I think thats remarkable.

--

(http://tinyurl.com/3gpzt). The largest mormon church of The Netherlands
is based in that village as well.-
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

I tried to install Mandrake 9.2 on my computer as a second boot, but
there were two main problems...
1) my computer has a 6Gb hard disk, which is over half full: doesn't
leave much space once its partitioned.
2) the mandrake distro was on a DVD and I don't have a DVD drvie, so i
tried to copy the right files onto a CD on a different computer. i
failed

I do however have a mac. a little Mac SE from 1987 I cant remember what
OS its using but its damned cute...

And of course I've got 2 computers running the dreaded windows 2000, 1
running windows 98, and i don't know how many running 3.1

so... can anyone recommend a linux distro to install on a 66mhz, 4mb RAM
laptop?? and how about a windows CE palmtop? is that even possible?

--
theamazingmolio - A Unicylist, a juggler, and a prat

Luke Duller ([email protected])
Never trust anything you read on the internet
[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/TheAmazingMolio/rolly.gif]
theamazingmolio's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5931

Privately I'm a big open source fan, but as an employee of a Microsoft
certified patner it's my obligation to seek to arrest all you enemies of
the cooperation.

--
Borges

"However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

I found it kind of funny that pieces of FreeBSD code are in various
Microsoft operating systems. The TCP/IP section (which handles all
connections to the internet) is almost ALL BSD code. Also, many of the
Microsoft servers- such as the ones for hotmail- employ FreeBSD as the
operating system. This is a little bit funny, considering how microsoft
doesn't agree with the ideas of open source, yet they use open source
products code and OSes.

--
digitalattrition - Addicted to Crank (mounts)

"can you do a wheelie on that?!"
--Some kid I saw when I was riding
digitalattrition's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6430

Given that the first TCP/IP implementation came from Berkeley, I don't
think it's all that surprising that code from it has made its way into,
or formed the basis of, other implementations besides Microsoft ones.

Also I seem to remember that while it used to be true that the hotmail
back end ran on BSD I don't think it is any more, since shortly after
the fact came to light.

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

It should be brought to light that Micrsoft bought hotmail, they didn't
create it (typical of them).

I'm sure if the evil empire were to have started from scratch, only MS
operating systems would have been used. ...of course, the site might not
have worked so well with early MS exchange servers.

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

I used to always use Windows 98 on my computer. I set up a dual boot
with SuSE Linux simply out of curiosity, and also because I was sick of
Windows always crashing. I got SuSE professional edition off ebay for 5
dollars--and it is totally my main operating system. It NEVER crashes, I
get 90 percent less pop-up windows, and there are far far fewer viruses
out there to sneak into it. Sometimes I have to open a shell to get
something done, but that is sort of the fun of it as well.

The downside of it is the lack of support for most 3d games. I still
have to go into windows for that. And as much as I like the graphic
program GIMP that comes with SuSE, I am still more comfortable with
Photoshop in Windows.

There is a cool book out there called "Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue
Screen of Death Goodbye!" by Marcel Gagne. The book is good for anyone
who is curious about Linux, but is afraid of messing up their hard
drive. The book comes with a copy of KNOPPIX linux--it is a CD-ROM based
Linux operating system that allows you to run linux on your computer
without actually touching your hard drive. It's a really great and safe
way to check it out.

Ultimetly, I don't think windows is really that bad--it's just good to
know that there is an alternative to Microsoft, one that is not at all
expensive.

A little like choosing to ride one wheel instead of two. Now if only my
Nimbus 26 inch MUni would get here I could be out practicing on this
nice day instead of sitting in front of my computer writing about
linux.

Steve

PS. Someone mentioned Debian Linux. KNOPPIX is based on Debian--and
because KNOPPIX is so cool, I definetly want to try Debian next.

--
dogbowl - New Unicyclist--I keep falling down

"Got an urge, got a surge, and it's out of control now. Uncontrollable
urge I want to tell you all about it." --DEVO
dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

I'm not sure if it's still true, but I know that for a couple years
after buying Hotmail, every so often MS would try switching off BSD to
an MS OS... And Hotmail would be ostensibly down for a couple days
until they gave up and went back to BSD... Maybe they've finally gotten
it fixed.

I just wish my school would switch away from MS... The IT department
head doesn't consider anything non-MS. Amusingly, the security firm
that they hired to audit the school reported that the Computer Science
server was a Windows 2000 box... Odd, since the server's name is
cs-linux... But I digress...

Anyone here going to the Ottawa Linux Symposium next month? The last
day they've got a "hacker bike-ride." I'm bringing my uni this year ;)

--
evil-nick - One-Wheeled Psycho!

Unicyclists do it on one wheel.
evil-nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6692

I Know it was running entirely on FreeBSD untill w2k came out. But
rumours sais they switched back to FreeBSD when large amounts of users
did run away because a lot of spam and virusses, and too few diskspace.

--
leo - errorist

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
866-UNI-CYCL

European Elections 2004: -Belgium: over 1,000,000 votes (24%) for
(allmost forbidden) right-wing party Vlaams Blok. I don't think Bush or
Rumsfeld ever would start talking about "the old Europe" again...-
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Yesterday I swopped a switch, a loaded Extreme Networks - Alpine 3808
against a Foundry - BigIron.
The new owner will stream all commercial radio stations of The
Netherlands, UEFA cup socker, and Formula 1 racing, and lot's of TV
channels trough it.
I'm gonne try to setup a cvsup and ftp mirror for freebsd.org.

| Attachment filename: swt02.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/281148|

leo - coffee-serving talent

Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
'+1-866-UNICYCLE' (callto:+1-866-UNICYCLE)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

Subscribe to 'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) using 'My Yahoo!'
(http://tinyurl.com/5wce7), 'newsgator' (http://tinyurl.com/536z6),
'feedster' (http://tinyurl.com/3ob2y), 'your own RSS client'
(http://tinyurl.com/6sza8) or anything else that handles 'RSS'
(http://unicyclist.org/blog/rss2.xml)!
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

It's FREEEEEEEEEEEE, and works, and doesn't come with 300MB Service
Packs or Serial Numbers.

Though this thread is old, just for the record: I've been using all
kinds of variations of Unix for the last couple of years - and I hate
Windows.

Wogri

--
wogri - Austrian American