Liquid Aspirin?

Eldred30

Guest
More and more, I read that a daily 1/4 aspirin (81mg) has heart protective value. However, I also
read that daily use of aspirin can cause bleeding in the stomach and in the case of enteric aspirin,
the small intestine.

Would liquid aspirin, (like 1/4 tablet of Alka Seltzer) help reduce this possibility in that it
would be more diffuse in the stomach?

eldred30

[email protected] (eldred30) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> More and more, I read that a daily 1/4 aspirin (81mg) has heart protective value. However, I also
> read that daily use of aspirin can cause bleeding in the stomach and in the case of enteric
> aspirin, the small intestine.
>
> Would liquid aspirin, (like 1/4 tablet of Alka Seltzer) help reduce this possibility in that it
> would be more diffuse in the stomach?
>
> eldred30

No. The possibility of bleeding is due to a biological effect of the drug not direct irritation.
81mg is recommended because that dose has the desired platelet inhibition, but a low probability of
causing gastric bleeding.

eldred30 wrote:

> More and more, I read that a daily 1/4 aspirin (81mg) has heart protective value. However, I also
> read that daily use of aspirin can cause bleeding in the stomach and in the case of enteric
> aspirin, the small intestine.

The latter concerns are typically minor.

> Would liquid aspirin, (like 1/4 tablet of Alka Seltzer) help reduce this possibility in that it
> would be more diffuse in the stomach?

Probably not.

Andrew

--