List of Alcoholic Drinks to make while LowCarbing?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by headrusch, Jan 30, 2006.

  1. headrusch

    headrusch Guest

    I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    carbing.

    Obviously, spirits over ice or a glass of wine is simple, but don't always
    make for
    good coctails.

    The idea is not to just dilute the alcohol but actually create some
    semblance of a pleasing flavor, and I'll be damned if I can find anyplace on
    the web that isn't trying to sell a diet drink MIXER.

    Examples of some Low-Carb worthy coctails:
    - Bacardi and Diet. The defacto standard...also try different rums for
    different flavor combinations, or a spash of lime or lemon juice.

    - Flavored Vodka and Soda: These are just the flavored vodkas (not
    sweetened, just flavored) combined with some sparkling water. you can use
    the flavored waters but IMHO then the taste gets really overblown. But what
    about other flavor combinations?? I haven't explored this too much...

    - Cosmopolitan: Made with a splash of the low-sugar Cranberry Juice and a
    splash of a sweeter mixer like Gran Mariner or Countreau gives you a few
    carbs from sugars, but we're talking less than a 1/2oz in a "splash"....and
    the idea is you dont drink them all night long, since calories add up as
    well.

    - Martini....

    Now, what I'm trying to figure out is, what are some good drinks to make
    with the other diet soda beverages on the market?

    Diet Ginger Ale (particularly the better more gingery flavors like Vernors
    (if you can get it) or Polar Diet Ginger Ale)??

    Diet Sierra Mist (the best tasting of the Lemon/Lime diet drinks..diet
    sprite/7up is undrinkable to me)

    Diet Sunkits (a very orangy diet soda, can fool you into thinking you're not
    drinking a diet soda)

    And lastly the low carb mixes that are out there....the low carb margarita
    mix and the low-carb Bahama Bob mixes. I've only tried the Mai Tai mix, and
    it was undrinkable..I spat out my second sip and dumped the bottle.

    I have a couple others here which I might try mixing with LIBERAL amounts of
    ice to see if that dulls the harsh chemical flavors....

    Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to compile a list (and no, i wont write a
    book with them) :)

    Tags:

  2. rye whiskey and diet seven-up

    TC

    headrusch wrote:
    > I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    > carbing.
    >
    > Obviously, spirits over ice or a glass of wine is simple, but don't always
    > make for
    > good coctails.
    >
    > The idea is not to just dilute the alcohol but actually create some
    > semblance of a pleasing flavor, and I'll be damned if I can find anyplace on
    > the web that isn't trying to sell a diet drink MIXER.
    >
    > Examples of some Low-Carb worthy coctails:
    > - Bacardi and Diet. The defacto standard...also try different rums for
    > different flavor combinations, or a spash of lime or lemon juice.
    >
    > - Flavored Vodka and Soda: These are just the flavored vodkas (not
    > sweetened, just flavored) combined with some sparkling water. you can use
    > the flavored waters but IMHO then the taste gets really overblown. But what
    > about other flavor combinations?? I haven't explored this too much...
    >
    > - Cosmopolitan: Made with a splash of the low-sugar Cranberry Juice and a
    > splash of a sweeter mixer like Gran Mariner or Countreau gives you a few
    > carbs from sugars, but we're talking less than a 1/2oz in a "splash"....and
    > the idea is you dont drink them all night long, since calories add up as
    > well.
    >
    > - Martini....
    >
    > Now, what I'm trying to figure out is, what are some good drinks to make
    > with the other diet soda beverages on the market?
    >
    > Diet Ginger Ale (particularly the better more gingery flavors like Vernors
    > (if you can get it) or Polar Diet Ginger Ale)??
    >
    > Diet Sierra Mist (the best tasting of the Lemon/Lime diet drinks..diet
    > sprite/7up is undrinkable to me)
    >
    > Diet Sunkits (a very orangy diet soda, can fool you into thinking you're not
    > drinking a diet soda)
    >
    > And lastly the low carb mixes that are out there....the low carb margarita
    > mix and the low-carb Bahama Bob mixes. I've only tried the Mai Tai mix, and
    > it was undrinkable..I spat out my second sip and dumped the bottle.
    >
    > I have a couple others here which I might try mixing with LIBERAL amounts of
    > ice to see if that dulls the harsh chemical flavors....
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to compile a list (and no, i wont write a
    > book with them) :)

  3. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Personally, I love a "Dirty Martini". That's Vokda and Olive Juice. But
    you Gotta LOVE Olives for this to work.

    PS: IMHO, regular consumption of Alcohol Might increase one's
    Triglyceride Levels. Especially in Diabetics.

  4. FOB

    FOB Guest

    Here's a LC Margarita recipe my brother sent me. I've never made it as I
    seldom drink.

    Stan's Low Carb Margaritas

    48 oz blender of Ice
    6 oz Tequila (the curator recommends Sauza)
    2 oz Cointreau
    Juice of a FRESH Lime.
    1 ½ tubs of Crystal Light Lemonade (for 2 quarts)
    4 packets Splenda
    a splash of water (to aid in blending)
    Pulse blender until smooth

    In news:[email protected],
    headrusch <[email protected]> stated

  5. headrusch wrote:

    > I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    > carbing.

    MAKE. Oh goodie - a homebrewing thread! Dry mead definitely.
    Make it very dry by aging it for a year, with a decant half way
    through to clarify.

    > Obviously, spirits over ice or a glass of wine is simple, but don't always
    > make for good coctails.

    Oh MIX. Never mind. ;^)

    > The idea is not to just dilute the alcohol but actually create some
    > semblance of a pleasing flavor, and I'll be damned if I can find anyplace on
    > the web that isn't trying to sell a diet drink MIXER.

    The question becomes - Was your idea of a pleasant flavor before
    low carbing equal to a sweet flavor? If so then give your tastes a
    chance to change. They do change over a span of months if you
    let them.

    So how about rich drinks not sweet ones? Drinks with cream and
    non-sweet booze. I've had brandy-n-cream blended drinks years
    ago that I liked.

    For sweet the goal could be to have as little sweet as you can get
    away with and use a diet mixer. Dry red wine and diet ginger ale,
    rum and diet rite, that sort of pattern.

    Over the years I've gradually used less and less alcohol. And in
    time I've come to appreciate the base product all the more. Give
    me a good rye/bourbon/canadian whiskey with water or ice over
    diluting it with stuff nowadays. Or a top notch beer, one beer. At
    15-30 carb grams for a single beer I can easily have one and
    eat like I'm on Induction for the day.

  6. [email protected] wrote:

    > rye whiskey and diet seven-up

    Not too many folks like Americana whiskey. What type of
    rye do you like? Over the years I've had Jim Beam yellow
    label, Wild Turkey brown label, Old Overholt and the
    occasional other brand. These days on the rare occasion
    I have a whiskey it'll be whatever the bar stocks if they
    even have any rye.

  7. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    I must be easy to please. Just freeze me a bottle of Smirnoff vodka
    (or even better, Belvedere) and I'm good for the weekend. :)

    I just do vodka (always frozen and straight up), low carb or lite
    beer, and wine (in moderation). I've stayed away from mixed drinks
    mostly because of the funny looks I've gotten when I've tried to order
    a diet rum and coke in the past.

    260/204.5/200
    4/27/05

    headrusch wrote:
    > I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    > carbing.
    >
    > Obviously, spirits over ice or a glass of wine is simple, but don't always
    > make for
    > good coctails.
    >
    > The idea is not to just dilute the alcohol but actually create some
    > semblance of a pleasing flavor, and I'll be damned if I can find anyplace on
    > the web that isn't trying to sell a diet drink MIXER.
    >
    > Examples of some Low-Carb worthy coctails:
    > - Bacardi and Diet. The defacto standard...also try different rums for
    > different flavor combinations, or a spash of lime or lemon juice.
    >
    > - Flavored Vodka and Soda: These are just the flavored vodkas (not
    > sweetened, just flavored) combined with some sparkling water. you can use
    > the flavored waters but IMHO then the taste gets really overblown. But what
    > about other flavor combinations?? I haven't explored this too much...
    >
    > - Cosmopolitan: Made with a splash of the low-sugar Cranberry Juice and a
    > splash of a sweeter mixer like Gran Mariner or Countreau gives you a few
    > carbs from sugars, but we're talking less than a 1/2oz in a "splash"....and
    > the idea is you dont drink them all night long, since calories add up as
    > well.
    >
    > - Martini....
    >
    > Now, what I'm trying to figure out is, what are some good drinks to make
    > with the other diet soda beverages on the market?
    >
    > Diet Ginger Ale (particularly the better more gingery flavors like Vernors
    > (if you can get it) or Polar Diet Ginger Ale)??
    >
    > Diet Sierra Mist (the best tasting of the Lemon/Lime diet drinks..diet
    > sprite/7up is undrinkable to me)
    >
    > Diet Sunkits (a very orangy diet soda, can fool you into thinking you're not
    > drinking a diet soda)
    >
    > And lastly the low carb mixes that are out there....the low carb margarita
    > mix and the low-carb Bahama Bob mixes. I've only tried the Mai Tai mix, and
    > it was undrinkable..I spat out my second sip and dumped the bottle.
    >
    > I have a couple others here which I might try mixing with LIBERAL amounts of
    > ice to see if that dulls the harsh chemical flavors....
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to compile a list (and no, i wont write a
    > book with them) :)

  8. headrusch

    headrusch Guest

    Six ounces of Tequila for two quarts of blending?

    Egads...at that point the Tequila is there simply as window dressing! :)

    "FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here's a LC Margarita recipe my brother sent me. I've never made it as I
    > seldom drink.
    >
    > Stan's Low Carb Margaritas
    >
    > 48 oz blender of Ice
    > 6 oz Tequila (the curator recommends Sauza)
    > 2 oz Cointreau
    > Juice of a FRESH Lime.
    > 1 ½ tubs of Crystal Light Lemonade (for 2 quarts)
    > 4 packets Splenda
    > a splash of water (to aid in blending)
    > Pulse blender until smooth
    >

    > In news:[email protected],
    > headrusch <[email protected]> stated
    > | I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    > | carbing.
    > |
    > | Obviously, spirits over ice or a glass of wine is simple, but don't
    > | always make for
    > | good coctails.
    > |
    > | The idea is not to just dilute the alcohol but actually create some
    > | semblance of a pleasing flavor, and I'll be damned if I can find
    > | anyplace on the web that isn't trying to sell a diet drink MIXER.
    > |
    > | Examples of some Low-Carb worthy coctails:
    > | - Bacardi and Diet. The defacto standard...also try different rums
    > | for different flavor combinations, or a spash of lime or lemon juice.
    > |
    > | - Flavored Vodka and Soda: These are just the flavored vodkas (not
    > | sweetened, just flavored) combined with some sparkling water. you
    > | can use the flavored waters but IMHO then the taste gets really
    > | overblown. But what about other flavor combinations?? I haven't
    > | explored this too much...
    > |
    > | - Cosmopolitan: Made with a splash of the low-sugar Cranberry Juice
    > | and a splash of a sweeter mixer like Gran Mariner or Countreau gives
    > | you a few carbs from sugars, but we're talking less than a 1/2oz in a
    > | "splash"....and the idea is you dont drink them all night long, since
    > | calories add up as well.
    > |
    > | - Martini....
    > |
    > | Now, what I'm trying to figure out is, what are some good drinks to
    > | make with the other diet soda beverages on the market?
    > |
    > | Diet Ginger Ale (particularly the better more gingery flavors like
    > | Vernors (if you can get it) or Polar Diet Ginger Ale)??
    > |
    > | Diet Sierra Mist (the best tasting of the Lemon/Lime diet drinks..diet
    > | sprite/7up is undrinkable to me)
    > |
    > | Diet Sunkits (a very orangy diet soda, can fool you into thinking
    > | you're not drinking a diet soda)
    > |
    > | And lastly the low carb mixes that are out there....the low carb
    > | margarita mix and the low-carb Bahama Bob mixes. I've only tried the
    > | Mai Tai mix, and it was undrinkable..I spat out my second sip and
    > | dumped the bottle.
    > |
    > | I have a couple others here which I might try mixing with LIBERAL
    > | amounts of ice to see if that dulls the harsh chemical flavors....
    > |
    > | Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to compile a list (and no, i wont
    > | write a book with them) :)

  9. pavane

    pavane Guest

    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > rye whiskey and diet seven-up

    > Not too many folks like Americana whiskey. What type of
    > rye do you like? Over the years I've had Jim Beam yellow
    > label, Wild Turkey brown label, Old Overholt and the
    > occasional other brand. These days on the rare occasion
    > I have a whiskey it'll be whatever the bar stocks if they
    > even have any rye.

    Don't forget that almost all of the good Canadian whiskeys
    are ryes...

    pavane

  10. dominic

    dominic Guest

    tell me more? do you buy olive juice? or squeeze it yourself. sounds
    fascinating, can you post a recipe?

  11. Ernst Primer wrote:

    > I must be easy to please. Just freeze me a bottle of Smirnoff vodka
    > (or even better, Belvedere) and I'm good for the weekend. :)
    >
    > I just do vodka (always frozen and straight up), low carb or lite
    > beer, and wine (in moderation). I've stayed away from mixed drinks
    > mostly because of the funny looks I've gotten when I've tried to order
    > a diet rum and coke in the past.
    >
    > 260/204.5/200
    > 4/27/05

    Spike your vodka with 2 or 3 (or 4) Thai red chiles, let sit for a few
    days, then freeze. A most interesting sensation, hot and cold at the
    same time.

    Vicki

  12. pavane wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:

    > > > rye whiskey and diet seven-up

    > > Not too many folks like Americana whiskey. What type of
    > > rye do you like? Over the years I've had Jim Beam yellow
    > > label, Wild Turkey brown label, Old Overholt and the
    > > occasional other brand. These days on the rare occasion
    > > I have a whiskey it'll be whatever the bar stocks if they
    > > even have any rye.

    Jack Daniels apparently makes a rye as well. I read an article
    that the folks at the plant don't like it. Sigh. Acquired taste.
    Then again I've never gotten the point of barley based whiskeys.

    > Don't forget that almost all of the good Canadian whiskeys
    > are ryes...

    Not true. All of the good Canadian whiskeys I've ever heard of
    are blended from more grains than just rye. Rye whiskey is
    made from rye grain, only rye grain yeast and water. Canadian
    is made from rye and corn and barley rather like Bourbon. More
    rye than is in most bourbons but not rye alone.

    In this rye is more like an unblended Scotch or Irish or an
    unblended corn whiskey than like either bourbon or Canadian.

  13. headrusch wrote:
    > I've been trying to find a list of acceptable drinks to make while low
    > carbing.

    LC Vodka Gimlet

    * 1 1/2 oz Vodka
    * 1 oz Lime Juice
    * 1 tsp Splenda (optional)
    * Ice
    Shake with ice and strain into a glass.

    LC Gin Gimlet
    Same as above, only gin for Vodka. Garnish with lime slice.

    My fav LC mixed drink.

    -Hollywood
    maxmail.blogspot.com

  14. Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > rye whiskey and diet seven-up

    > Not too many folks like Americana whiskey. What type of
    > rye do you like? Over the years I've had Jim Beam yellow
    > label, Wild Turkey brown label, Old Overholt and the
    > occasional other brand. These days on the rare occasion
    > I have a whiskey it'll be whatever the bar stocks if they
    > even have any rye.

    Canada Club. CC and seven. Nothing beats Canadian whiskey.

    TC

  15. headrusch

    headrusch Guest

    Mmmm...this sounds good.....I'm going to try this one.

  16. Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > pavane wrote:
    > > Doug Freyburger wrote:

    > > > Not too many folks like Americana whiskey. What type of
    > > > rye do you like? Over the years I've had Jim Beam yellow
    > > > label, Wild Turkey brown label, Old Overholt and the
    > > > occasional other brand. These days on the rare occasion
    > > > I have a whiskey it'll be whatever the bar stocks if they
    > > > even have any rye.

    > Jack Daniels apparently makes a rye as well. I read an article
    > that the folks at the plant don't like it. Sigh. Acquired taste.
    > Then again I've never gotten the point of barley based whiskeys.
    >
    > > Don't forget that almost all of the good Canadian whiskeys
    > > are ryes...

    > Not true. All of the good Canadian whiskeys I've ever heard of
    > are blended from more grains than just rye. Rye whiskey is
    > made from rye grain, only rye grain yeast and water. Canadian
    > is made from rye and corn and barley rather like Bourbon. More
    > rye than is in most bourbons but not rye alone.
    >
    > In this rye is more like an unblended Scotch or Irish or an
    > unblended corn whiskey than like either bourbon or Canadian.

    I'm not sure exactly what it is about American spirits, but they are
    less than perfect. It might have to do with how they distill it. When
    distilling alcohol you have to discard the first bit out of the still
    (the heads) and the last bit at the end (the tails) because they
    contain the bitter esters and alcohols. I don't think they do that in
    the US. Then they try to make it more palatable by sitting the stuff in
    oak barrels or filtering thru flavoring agents. You will never make it
    good as long as the heads and the tails aren't discarded. I knowin
    Canada, they discard the heads and the tails and completely avoid the
    bitterness.

    TC

  17. Curt

    Curt Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > tell me more? do you buy olive juice? or squeeze it yourself. sounds
    > fascinating, can you post a recipe?

    No real recipe as such..

    I just buy large bottles of standard green olives. I throw out the
    olives, or at least most of them. Then dump in as much juice in the
    glass of vodka as you like.

  18. Curt wrote:

    > I just buy large bottles of standard green olives. I throw out the
    > olives, or at least most of them.

    You mean you make tempanade with them, or bake them under
    cheese for a crustless pizza, you you send them to me or
    something, not "throw out" in the sense of giving them to the
    archeologists, right? ;^)

    > Then dump in as much juice in the glass of vodka as you like.

  19. [email protected]

    I'm not sure exactly what it is about American spirits, but they are
    less than perfect. It might have to do with how they distill it. When
    distilling alcohol you have to discard the first bit out of the still
    (the heads) and the last bit at the end (the tails) because they
    contain the bitter esters and alcohols. I don't think they do that in
    the US. Then they try to make it more palatable by sitting the stuff in

    oak barrels or filtering thru flavoring agents. You will never make it
    good as long as the heads and the tails aren't discarded. I knowin
    Canada, they discard the heads and the tails and completely avoid the
    bitterness.

    You make it sounds as if only American whiskey is aged in oak barrels
    in some attempt to make up for an inferior product. In fact, every
    whiskey I know of is aged in wooden barrels. That is one of the
    important steps that gives them taste. You may not like the taste, but
    others do. The reason Canadian whiskey has less taste is because they
    are almost all blends, where they add a lot of a flavorless alcohol to
    a whiskey, like rye, that does have flavor.

  20. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
    > Ernst Primer wrote:
    >
    > > I must be easy to please. Just freeze me a bottle of Smirnoff vodka
    > > (or even better, Belvedere) and I'm good for the weekend. :)
    > >
    > > I just do vodka (always frozen and straight up), low carb or lite
    > > beer, and wine (in moderation). I've stayed away from mixed drinks
    > > mostly because of the funny looks I've gotten when I've tried to order
    > > a diet rum and coke in the past.
    > >
    > > 260/204.5/200
    > > 4/27/05

    > Spike your vodka with 2 or 3 (or 4) Thai red chiles, let sit for a few
    > days, then freeze. A most interesting sensation, hot and cold at the
    > same time.
    >
    > Vicki

    How about Mexican chiles?