Listen to music while riding?

I don't really suggest playing music while riding a bike. It can add a distraction to your concentration particularly when you are riding on a busy road. I usually listen to music in my various activities to add a boost in my mood but I don't see it as applicable in my bike riding habit. When you are in a road, you are in a very crucial place and more prone to unpredictable accidents. So, it's better not to add any distraction to your focus particulary to your ears. You need set your extreme full muti-senses concentration.

For me its not a good one. You're hitting the road and you should be focus while travelling. It will destruct your attention if you're going to listen to music by plugging in earphones to your ears. Accident may happen because your mind is processing on something instead of keeping your eyes on the road.

It is not a good idea to put earphone while riding on your bike. But if you are really into music, you can at least lessen the sound of your music and do biking in a park or in a place where no other vehicles are allowed, like in your village. Safety is sacrificed while your earphones are put into your ears. Some reckless drivers run their cars too fast and some ignore traffic rules such as beating the red lights and over speeding.

I always listen to music when riding, having my phone on speaker mode, hanging on my neck, or strapped to my arms or chest pocket. I don't use earphones it's annoying.

Reactions: Steve5
I listen to music but at a low volume enough for me to hear the noise of the environment. I actually find it more relaxing and I actually get to focus on the road [I listen to music with no lyrics]

It is dangerous. Unless you are using a bluetooth speaker and not to loud I guess. This might cause accident as you need to be aware of your surroundings while cycling. However listening to music while cycling is a good idea.
Yeah, you're right. listening to music is really good idea specially if you;re going to travel alone using your bike. It will help you to focus more on the road for some people like me, and much more become aware to the surroundings. We can listen to music while biking but with just the minimum volume, enough volume to still hear all the things around us.

It's okay to listen to music while riding provided that you're not crossing the street or anything like that. The biggest danger to not hearing what's happening around is the fact that you're unaware of potential risks. That's why I only do that when I'm riding in a safe zone away from moving cars and stuff.

If I am riding alone and the road is kinda busy, I won't want to risk anything by trying to ride with the music on. The reason is that I can get into traffic or be at a point I won't enjoy the good ride as I was always careful of the cars passing.

It's okay to listen to music while riding provided that you're not crossing the street or anything like that. The biggest danger to not hearing what's happening around is the fact that you're unaware of potential risks. That's why I only do that when I'm riding in a safe zone away from moving cars and stuff.

There is this friend that always ride when the road is busy and puts the speaker of the headphone high. I have warned him severally to stop that kind of action as it is not the best, but it seems that he doesn't care. I always wish nothing happens to him because he was the one that taught me how to ride.

There is this friend that always ride when the road is busy and puts the speaker of the headphone high. I have warned him severally to stop that kind of action as it is not the best, but it seems that he doesn't care. I always wish nothing happens to him because he was the one that taught me how to ride.

Oh, that's really unfortunate. It's kind of ironic that he taught you how to ride but didn't care enough to follow basic precautionary rules when riding. I hope he decides to follow your advice. He seems like a good guy.

Yeah, you're right. listening to music is really good idea specially if you;re going to travel alone using your bike. It will help you to focus more on the road for some people like me, and much more become aware to the surroundings. We can listen to music while biking but with just the minimum volume, enough volume to still hear all the things around us.

It's a tight balance. Sometimes it's better to use speakers instead of headphones. That way you can still hear your surroundings while listening to your favorite tunes. Using headphones and the likes tend to be dangerous while riding.

I listen to music but at a low volume enough for me to hear the noise of the environment. I actually find it more relaxing and I actually get to focus on the road [I listen to music with no lyrics]

Oh, well that's nice to hear. As long as you're not unable to hear your surroundings, you're going to be okay. Though, I'd still recommend doing this in a safe area. Not where there are many vehicles going about.

I always listen to music when riding, having my phone on speaker mode, hanging on my neck, or strapped to my arms or chest pocket. I don't use earphones it's annoying.

That seems like a very wise decision. I just can't imagine other people using their earphones without any risk of getting injured. The road is not a safe place. Especially, very active ones.

It is not a good idea to put earphone while riding on your bike. But if you are really into music, you can at least lessen the sound of your music and do biking in a park or in a place where no other vehicles are allowed, like in your village. Safety is sacrificed while your earphones are put into your ears. Some reckless drivers run their cars too fast and some ignore traffic rules such as beating the red lights and over speeding.

And that's how accidents occur. Like the health professionals always say, prevention is better than cure. So always opt for safety when it comes to riding outside.

That seems like a very wise decision. I just can't imagine other people using their earphones without any risk of getting injured. The road is not a safe place. Especially, very active ones.

Actually I have to agree with you that it's dangerous in busy streets if the sound is loud but, mostly I can't even hear it because of all the external noise, I would only hear the music when the surrounding area is quiet, like in a park or country road.

If I know that I am on a safer areas, yes. Most specially when I am in the mood riding and appreciating the surroundings and nature. Or I am out riding to avoid stress, listening to music is a good idea. As long as you are on a safe area just like what I said. But listening while cycling on highways? not a better idea, you must be very alert on the street. You need to be conscious while on a busy street. We don't want any danger and reckless riding happen anyway.

It's a tight balance. Sometimes it's better to use speakers instead of headphones. That way you can still hear your surroundings while listening to your favorite tunes. Using headphones and the likes tend to be dangerous while riding.
Yeah, that's right, but I don't have a portable or Bluetooth speaker yet, and the other thing is looks like you're attention seeker if you do that.

Yeah, that's right, but I don't have a portable or Bluetooth speaker yet, and the other thing is looks like you're attention seeker if you do that.

I definitely understand what you're saying. Well, I've seen other riders playing music in a relatively low volume. It's only loud enough to be heard by them but hardly attracts attention from other people.

Anyway, it's up to us on how we'll go about our daily activities. I hope you find a safe way to listen while riding.

Actually I have to agree with you that it's dangerous in busy streets if the sound is loud but, mostly I can't even hear it because of all the external noise, I would only hear the music when the surrounding area is quiet, like in a park or country road.

That's nice. I also prefer riding in quiet parts of the neighborhood. But I know what you mean. Busy streets tend to be noisy. So you won't likely hear music properly while you're there.

If I know that I am on a safer areas, yes. Most specially when I am in the mood riding and appreciating the surroundings and nature. Or I am out riding to avoid stress, listening to music is a good idea. As long as you are on a safe area just like what I said. But listening while cycling on highways? not a better idea, you must be very alert on the street. You need to be conscious while on a busy street. We don't want any danger and reckless riding happen anyway.

Me too. I don't like the idea of getting into dangerous situations. It's easy to miss stuff when you can't hear your surroundings. So better watch where you're going carefully.