Listening to music when riding

I try to focus on what I am doing, safety, the beauty of what is around me. Sometimes I pray for my family while I ride. Sometimes I just daydream a bit. Did an 85 mile ride the other day and it went by in no time.

I need to listen to something during long ride, I don't care what study shown it does helps me.

Imanewbie said:
"Without music to decorate it, life is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa.
"To truly appreciate music one must spend time in silence" - Piotr S. :cool:

Piotr said:
A big ditto from me. Sound like something I would've said. ;) The sad part is that they're not listening to music per se, but using noise as a distraction not to hear their own shallow chatter.
Riding with music = a mind full of "shallow chatter?"

Strange.

I have plenty of time during the day to think about the origins of the universe, astrophysics, human evolution, life on other planets, women and sex.

I don't see why I would waste my time trying to figure these things out on my bike, though? Oxygen debt and deep thoughts don't seem to mix well. I think music helps keep your mind off the pain and allows you to focus on exactly what you're doing. It seems, at least to me, that thinking while riding wastes too much energy.

If we were talking about TV, I would agree with you guys 100%. Everytime I see my girlfriend sitting in front of the big LCD TV, I think of Farenheit 451 and start to cringe, haha.

Music often helps me refocus on what's important in life and keeps me centred. If it's the right kind, of course. And I'll often play music or listen to seminars on all sorts of inspiring stuff, because I enjoy it.

But never while riding, especially when there are cars about. The crash I had on Wednesday night that put me in the local hospital emergency dept has hardened my views.

i turn my walkman WAY up, but it's okay cuz i got this cool music.

it's the sounds of a chainring humming, a guy breathing heavy, gearshift clicking, wind, cars zooming by, etc...

also, i fear my own thoughts.

:confused:

Powderfinger said:
i listen to audiobooks.
agree, that`s the way to train endurance (long rides) and educate myself in one, to hear traffic - I use one headphone, in the right ear ;)
or if listen to music - quiet, you can do it if using "in ear" type of headphones to block out the wind noise, and of course, one side listening to hear traffic.