Lister Farrar's Sad Commentary

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Lister Farrar posted the following on the Canadian Cyclist web forum:

“Good post gwest. I think you're right on. I would suggest that the potential of the CCA to assist development is less about funding u23 national teams, and more about creating an economic model that gets more people into cycling, marketing the sport, and creating an expectation that coaching and training should be directed by paid coaches at the club level.

I think there are opportunities that we haven't tried yet where we could provide services to coaches to keep them current and connected and marketable.

Another important factor is a national series in each discipline with steady news services to the media so that club and team sponsors get recognition.

On another note, I think our road results could start to come as the doping problem gets more under control. Maybe our best road development strategy would be an aggressive international campaign to push for better anti-doping programs in cycling. Like getting rid of the blood testing rule that leave four hours free to top up after the vampire visit. 'Still on the UCI rule books despite the Italian cycling docs asking for it last year...

Lister, do you believe these things???? That’s your answer to developing our Canadian road racing performance, “push for better anti-doping programs in cycling”!!!!! How pathetic.

You mention there are “opportunities we haven’t tried”. Well, what are you waiting for??? You have been in or around the CCA and the Victoria Training Centre for 20 years. Why haven’t you tried them?

You wrote about, “creating an economic model that gets more people into cycling”? Holy ****, Lister, you have become the consummate friggin’ bureaucrat. An economic model??? You don’t need any model, you need somebody who understands the sport and business to sell it. As I have told you before there are 500,000 kids playing soccer and Canadian international results are worse than in cycling. We don’t need more kids, we need more corporate sponsors and professional organizers.

Wake up Lister.

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
PS Lister, didn't the CCA start a national road sereis a couple years ago, again, only to can it??????

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Hey, Lister, why don't you come comment on the great job Steve Lacelle did and how the economic model put in place by the former CCA finance guy was so helpful????

While you are at it you can tell us how the Sprockids program is aiding in developing international calibre riders....

At the current rate about all the CCA will be able to offer are children learning safety rules and how to use their bicycle bells.

I visited the US, English and French cycling federation web sites and saw no mention of bells...