Lite Bash-Ring - 44t?

Andrew Martin

Guest
In order to get the right chainline, I'll need to run my 44t ring on
the middle of my FSA V-Drive mtn crank (4-bolt, 104bcd). Does anyone
make a "bash ring" for a 44t in 4-bolt? There's one on PricePoint,
but it's 6mm wide and weighs over a pound. This is for a single-speed
cross bike...so I'm not down for that sort of weight penalty. There
are a number of polycarb options that would be fine (50g), but they
only go to 36. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the mtn bike
industry offerings, so I'm looking for a little insight.

Andrew Martin wrote:
> In order to get the right chainline, I'll need to run my 44t ring on
> the middle of my FSA V-Drive mtn crank (4-bolt, 104bcd). Does anyone
> make a "bash ring" for a 44t in 4-bolt? There's one on PricePoint,
> but it's 6mm wide and weighs over a pound. This is for a single-speed
> cross bike...so I'm not down for that sort of weight penalty. There
> are a number of polycarb options that would be fine (50g), but they
> only go to 36. I'm not all that knowledgeable on the mtn bike
> industry offerings, so I'm looking for a little insight.

Some riders buy a chainring and snip off the teeth.

A pound of bashguard sounds like it may actually work, as opposed to
'poser' plastic guards. If you are riding where the likelihood of you
and your bike landing crank-first on a log or rock is real, get the
heavy one. Otherwise whichever looks good to you.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:

> Andrew Martin wrote:
> >
> > In order to get the right chainline, I'll need to run my 44t ring on
> > the middle of my FSA V-Drive mtn crank (4-bolt, 104bcd). Does anyone
> > make a "bash ring" for a 44t in 4-bolt?

> Some riders buy a chainring and snip off the teeth.

I was going to suggest that, because that's what I've done before
(turned off the teeth with a lathe), but I've never seen a 4-arm ring
big enough to have its teeth removed and still stand clear of the
chain on a 44t ring.

Chalo

On Oct 17, 9:05 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>
> > Andrew Martin wrote:

> > > In order to get the right chainline, I'll need to run my 44t ring on
> > > the middle of my FSA V-Drive mtn crank (4-bolt, 104bcd). Does anyone
> > > make a "bash ring" for a 44t in 4-bolt?

> > Some riders buy a chainring and snip off the teeth.

> I was going to suggest that, because that's what I've done before
> (turned off the teeth with a lathe), but I've never seen a 4-arm ring
> big enough to have its teeth removed and still stand clear of the
> chain on a 44t ring.
>
> Chalo

Yeah - I have a 53t campy "chain guard" that I filed down from when I
ran 1x8 campy for cross.

I did find a Salsa option...but it's beefy and ugly as sin:

104mm / Black 44 4
http://www.salsacycles.com/chainrings.html

On Oct 18, 5:05 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> A Muzi wrote:
>
> > Andrew Martin wrote:

> > > In order to get the right chainline, I'll need to run my 44t ring on
> > > the middle of my FSA V-Drive mtn crank (4-bolt, 104bcd). Does anyone
> > > make a "bash ring" for a 44t in 4-bolt?

> > Some riders buy a chainring and snip off the teeth.

> I was going to suggest that, because that's what I've done before
> (turned off the teeth with a lathe), but I've never seen a 4-arm ring
> big enough to have its teeth removed and still stand clear of the
> chain on a 44t ring.
>
> Chalo

Then how about not removing the teeth?
OK, it won't slide over an obstacle like a "real" bash guard, but it
will protect the chain ring inside it.

I would have thought of a rock ring on an CX bike as protection
against an unintentional smash, rather than for deliberately hitting
obstacles then sliding/hopping over them. If that's correct, the
teeth on the chainring won't matter so much, though they will look a
bit naff.

bookieb

bookieb wrote:

> Chalo wrote:
> >
> > A Muzi wrote:
> > >
> > > Some riders buy a chainring and snip off the teeth.

> > I was going to suggest that, because that's what I've done before
> > (turned off the teeth with a lathe), but I've never seen a 4-arm ring
> > big enough to have its teeth removed and still stand clear of the
> > chain on a 44t ring.

> Then how about not removing the teeth?
> OK, it won't slide over an obstacle like a "real" bash guard, but it
> will protect the chain ring inside it.

I don't know about the OP's motivations, but I use a "bashguard" to
keep my pants out of the works, and to keep the chain from unshipping
on the outside. There's no bashing involved.

Using a regular chainring would help hold the chain in place, but the
teeth would still be able to foul my clothing.

Chalo

On Oct 18, 11:03 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> bookieb wrote:
>
> > Chalo wrote:

> > > I was going to suggest that, because that's what I've done before
> > > (turned off the teeth with a lathe), but I've never seen a 4-arm ring
> > > big enough to have its teeth removed and still stand clear of the
> > > chain on a 44t ring.

> > Then how about not removing the teeth?
> > OK, it won't slide over an obstacle like a "real" bash guard, but it
> > will protect the chain ring inside it.

> I don't know about the OP's motivations, but I use a "bashguard" to
> keep my pants out of the works, and to keep the chain from unshipping
> on the outside. There's no bashing involved.
>
> Using a regular chainring would help hold the chain in place, but the
> teeth would still be able to foul my clothing.
>
> Chalo- Hide quoted text -

Thx Chalo - that's another point I didn't mention. It's easy to keep
the outside ring clean if it's smooth (like a chain guard) rather than
a knarled chainring. Vuelta makes a simple looking guard as well, so
I'm going to go with one of those.