Litespeed Arenberg frame as CX?

jaidormi

Jul 12, 2003
Does anyone have experience using a Ti road frame as the base for their cyclocross bike? My Litespeed Arenberg isn't super rigid, especially around the BB, but as a lighter rider (<145lbs), I don't experience much of that. I am just wondering if its Ti tubing can stand up to the higher level of shock stress you would expect when using a rigid for and riding off-road. What do you think?

jaidormi said:
Does anyone have experience using a Ti road frame as the base for their cyclocross bike? My Litespeed Arenberg isn't super rigid, especially around the BB, but as a lighter rider (<145lbs), I don't experience much of that. I am just wondering if its Ti tubing can stand up to the higher level of shock stress you would expect when using a rigid for and riding off-road. What do you think?

The real issue is whether you can fit cross tires onto a road frame (prob not enough clearance), and also you can't put on cantilever brakes. The frame itself would be fine otherwise, it shouldn't matter what material it's made of. However, if you do end up using this frame, be aware that you will prob get mud jammed up between the tires and frame on a muddy course; of course, your brakes won't work very well if at all (assuming you can fit the tires past them...)

jaidormi said:
I've had an Arenburg for four years now logging 15,000 road miles. I'm 6ft 2in and 195/200 pounds. I've never riden this bike off road but have never had any frame problems. The responce below is currect. The widest tirer you can install will be a 700x28 (road tire).