Litespeed Arenberg?

bakhurts

May 18, 2004
Anyone know anything about this bike? There is a 2000 model for sale, but I don't know anything about it. Litespeed does not list it on it's web site so i assume it is a discontinued model.

Specifically,

Is it a road, race or touring bike.
Angles and chainstay length?
How does it ride?
Any thing you don't liek about it?

thanks

bk

bakhurts said:
Anyone know anything about this bike? There is a 2000 model for sale, but I don't know anything about it. Litespeed does not list it on it's web site so i assume it is a discontinued model.

Specifically,

Is it a road, race or touring bike.
Angles and chainstay length?
How does it ride?
Any thing you don't liek about it?

thanks

bk
Their bottom rung road frame at the time. 73,73, 41.1 chainstays and 98mm wheelbase.

boudreaux said:
Their bottom rung road frame at the time. 73,73, 41.1 chainstays and 98mm wheelbase.

I currently ride a 2002/03 Litespeed Arenberg in size 57. I got mine new with the Litespeed full carbon fork, full Shimano 105 and Mavic Cosmos wheels for about $1,400 about a year and a half ago. I like it a lot, and think that, for the price, it was a steal. A real good all-rounder for a recreational cyclist like me. The frame is not super light (about 3.5 lbs in my size) but is a well-built American-made titanium frame. The geometry is pretty standard, with, as noted, 41.1 chainstays. This is slightly longer than the stays on the Tuscany and slightly shorter than the stays on the Classic. I think that earlier Arenbergs (like the 2000 model year, pre-integrated headset) might have had slightly different geometry. Some heavier riders have complained about flex in this frame, and, yes, it does seem to flex a little in the BB under my six-foot, 175 lbs frame. However, as long as my front derailleur is adjusted properly, I don't get much, if any chain rub (and without the chain rub noise keying you into it, the flex becomes a lot less noticeable). The slight amount flex seems a small price to pay for such a comfortable, well-made frame. The brushed finish and general weld-work on my frame also appears better than on the current "bottom rung" Litespeed Ti frames like the Firenze (only available in satin finish), as well. Here's an outdated webpage that still has some info on the bike, including a link to geometry for different sizes:

http://aebike.com/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=460&Catalog=39&sort=Price

Hope this helps.

I have not ridden ths bike, and am trying to see if it would be a good fit for my ageing body 6ft 185-200 lbs, little fitness.

I think some people have mentioned bottom bracket flex. I think i understand what it is, but have not personally experienced it. I think it may be a plus for someone like me. there is one for sale at 1300 and I may just get it, unless i like the jamis quest i am going to ride today.

bak