Litespeed Bella - Need Sizing Help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jckid, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jckid

jckid New Member

I am a female rider 5'4" w/30" inseam and am considering the Litespeed Bella in either a XS or S. I just recently bought (and then sold) a Litespeed Firenze 49cm. I felt too stretched out on it and had less standover clearance than I wanted. The thing is, the Bella in size small has more standover than the Firenze, but the top tube length is actually .5cm longer than the Firenze. That makes me think maybe I should consider an XS Bella--It's top tube length is 1.5cm less than the Firenze. I actually prefer the 650c wheels that come on the XS, but I don't want to end up with a bike that is too small. Is there anyone out there about my size riding a Bella XS or S? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

2. mtnbiker371

mtnbiker371 New Member

I would suggest findin a bike show that has both sizes in stick (tough job there!) But from what you have said, it sounds like the XS may be the way to go.

3. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

I use LeMond's formula for frame size, .65 X Inseam , where inseam ends at the floor in socked feet - 30" inseam equates to a 49-50cm - and I think the formula is unisex ??

I'd fine tune with saddle position and stem length .

4. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

What good does that do her?? TT length is the issue.

5. litespeedguy

litespeedguy New Member

Assuming ,as I've said too many times on this forum , that her knuckles don't drag when she's walkin , most of the time one can compensate for TT length by picking the right stem length and saddle position.

But not knowing her exact proportions it's hard to say ; maybe a smaller frame would be better - it's an individual thing !!!!

6. scopestuff2

scopestuff2 New Member

AT 5' 4" and a 30" cycling inseam, it sounds like you've got longish legs, and a shortish torso. Unless your arm length makes up for it, you very well may need shortish TopTube.

I have used several online fit calculators and found the one at WrenchScience to really work well ... at least for me. You may want to go through the sizing exercise and see what they come up with. Then try a few bikes around the size recommendations.

Here is the link to the WrenchScience fit site:
    http://www.wrenchscience.com/WS1/Secure/Fitting/Height.asp

This site has links to lots of sites with information about fit:
    http://www.cyclemetrics.com/Pages/FitLinks/bike_fit_links.htm

Not knowing your riding experience it's difficult to say if the above information will provide you enough info to hone in on a good frame. You may have to actually take some test rides ..... and be sure to find a shop that lets you go for a real ride. At least 30 -45 minutes with a combination of hills, descents, flats, rollers, signals, etc, etc. All the stuff that will put your body into different positions on the bike.

I did exactly what I described above (online fit calculators and test rides) and got a bike that is just a super-sweet to ride. Before that it seemed to be hit and miss.

-Robert
    p.s. My main ride is a Litespeed Tuscany. Great bike.