Litespeed Frame -- Cane Creek IS-6 Headset Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by W A S A T C H, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. When I assemble common thread-less non-integrated headsets I only tighten down the preload bolt a
    small amount to get the right amount of tension. I find that when I assemble the IS-6 integrated
    headset, which uses angular-contact cartridge-bearings, on my 2002 Litespeed I have to torque down
    the preload bolt a fair amount to get rid of the "rocking" in the head-tube. Even under this high
    amount of pressure the headset still moves freely with no unusual amount of tension. Is this normal?
    Has anyone else had experience with this same setup?

    Any help from the group would be appreciated.

    Tags:

  2. Ben Dover

    Ben Dover Guest

    I too have this problem. I contacted Litespeed and they are sending new cups and a new headset.

    When I inspected the headset I found that the cartridge has precious few ball bearings. When packed
    together, I found a gap of over 1 cm!!

    Does the group have a consensus of the best headset out there for this application? Is it Campag?

    I propose we lobby Litespeed for a better headset.

    Kevin Saunders

    "W a s a t c h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When I assemble common thread-less non-integrated headsets I only tighten down the preload bolt a
    > small amount to get the right amount of tension.
    > find that when I assemble the IS-6 integrated headset, which uses angular-contact
    > cartridge-bearings, on my 2002 Litespeed I have to torque down the preload bolt a fair amount
    > to get rid of the "rocking" in the head-tube. Even under this high amount of pressure the
    > headset still
    moves
    > freely with no unusual amount of tension. Is this normal? Has anyone
    else
    > had experience with this same setup?
    >
    > Any help from the group would be appreciated.

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    "W a s a t c h" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > When I assemble common thread-less non-integrated headsets I only tighten down the preload bolt a
    > small amount to get the right amount of tension.
    > find that when I assemble the IS-6 integrated headset, which uses angular-contact
    > cartridge-bearings, on my 2002 Litespeed I have to torque down the preload bolt a fair amount
    > to get rid of the "rocking" in the head-tube. Even under this high amount of pressure the
    > headset still
    moves
    > freely with no unusual amount of tension. Is this normal? Has anyone
    else
    > had experience with this same setup?
    >
    > Any help from the group would be appreciated.

    FWIW, I have an IS6 on a new Lemond Ti frame, it all installed and runs fine with no issues.

    Steve B.

  4. "Ben Dover" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gG%Ca.83476$%[email protected]...
    > I too have this problem. I contacted Litespeed and they are sending new
    cups
    > and a new headset.
    >
    > When I inspected the headset I found that the cartridge has precious few ball bearings. When
    > packed together, I found a gap of over 1 cm!!
    >
    > Does the group have a consensus of the best headset out there for this application? Is it Campag?
    >
    > I propose we lobby Litespeed for a better headset.
    >
    > Kevin Saunders

    Found this at http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/3862.0.html

    When we decided to utilize integrated headsets on our bikes, we initially wanted to accommodate the
    Cane Creek and Campagnolo designs. However we discovered that the differences between the two
    designs are large enough to warrant deciding on one of them to guarantee a perfect fit. While we
    certainly appreciate Campagnolo's reputation and quality, we decided to go with Cane Creek to allow
    for a wider range of spec options. Which means that all current bikes will only accept the Cane
    Creek integrated headset. A Campagnolo Hiddenset would require slightly larger integrated cups and
    thus this could not be facilitated at the local bike shop. Herbert Krabel Litespeed

  5. In article <gG%Ca.83476$%[email protected]>, Ben Dover <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I too have this problem. I contacted Litespeed and they are sending new cups and a new headset.
    >
    >When I inspected the headset I found that the cartridge has precious few ball bearings. When packed
    >together, I found a gap of over 1 cm!!
    >
    >Does the group have a consensus of the best headset out there for this application? Is it Campag?

    If "this application" really means how can you best fix your bike, you're just going to have to
    hammer on Litespeed until they deliver working product - hopefully the replacement is an
    improvement. It is also possible that you need frame/fork prep to resolve the problem - also an
    issue for Litespeed &/or the dealer.

    If "this application" really means how can you design a better bike, that's easy, there are numerous
    fine non-integrated headset designs to choose from. I thought they used a conventional headset in
    the Ghisallo...? Not sure if that's still true.

    Litespeed is certainly not the only mfr shipping integrated headsets that can't be properly adjusted
    when new. I suspect end users often just don't notice that the dealer has tightened the shit out of
    their headset, or if they notice they are told that it's "normal" for it to be stiff (which is
    pretty near the truth when it comes to some integrated headsets).

    --Paul