Litespeed Tuscany

Yes. 2005 frame, Record components. Excellent frame. Nice, spirited but comfy ride, transmits road feel, but not road bumps. Bottom bracket plenty stiff. Of course I had been an aluminum rider before all my life.

Thanks Chuck. Searching for my next bike and I've heard good things about the Tuscany. Sounds like these frames are good for those of us with longer torso?

I have the 2005 as well with ultegra, ksyriums and renoylds fork. I agree with what was said previous. Infact I was just thinking today on a 70 miler how comfortable I felt on the Tuscany. I originally had the litech fork and swapped it out with the renolyds this year and think it rides better. Just my 2 cents. This is my first ti bike after aluminum and carbon and love the feel.

Scoob02 said:
I have the 2005 as well with ultegra, ksyriums and renoylds fork. I agree with what was said previous. Infact I was just thinking today on a 70 miler how comfortable I felt on the Tuscany. I originally had the litech fork and swapped it out with the renolyds this year and think it rides better. Just my 2 cents. This is my first ti bike after aluminum and carbon and love the feel.
How is it for climbing?

azdroptop said:
Thanks Chuck. Searching for my next bike and I've heard good things about the Tuscany. Sounds like these frames are good for those of us with longer torso?
If you have a longer torso, you should consider one of the compact frame like the Siena or Vortex Compact, I've got a longer torso and find the Giant TCR Advanced (Compact) I'm riding suits me a lot better than a full size frame. Standover height is better and I think the smaller frame would be stiffer.
Ride harshness maybe greater, but with the Titanium compliance this should be offset.

kleng said:
If you have a longer torso, you should consider one of the compact frame like the Siena or Vortex Compact, I've got a longer torso and find the Giant TCR Advanced (Compact) I'm riding suits me a lot better than a full size frame. Standover height is better and I think the smaller frame would be stiffer.
Ride harshness maybe greater, but with the Titanium compliance this should be offset.
Cool. I've actually looked at the TCR and really liked it. Currently I ride a Lemond which has a longer torso design as well. It is a Carbon/Steel combo and is real comfortable, but I'm looking for more of a race geometry with decent comfort.

My Tusc - is old and crusty, but I love it! It's a 2000 model year, and it has been through a lot and I am not ready to give her up!

HR

Hookyrider said:
My Tusc - is old and crusty, but I love it! It's a 2000 model year, and it has been through a lot and I am not ready to give her up!

HR
I had an '00 Tusc/full Record 10 that I had ordered as soon as they were available in Nov. '99. Very good bike it was, which I would have kept if not for having to pay divorce lawyers a few years later. :mad:

Looking at the '06 Tusc or Siena for this autumn.

Wurm said:
I had an '00 Tusc/full Record 10 that I had ordered as soon as they were available in Nov. '99. Very good bike it was, which I would have kept if not for having to pay divorce lawyers a few years later. :mad: Looking at the '06 Tusc or Siena for this autumn.
They finally found a little bit of fat to trim off the Tuscany, so ti's lost a few grams over the old model. I'm sure it rides perfectly.

Mine was full D/A to include the wheels, but as pieces have worn out they've been changed/updated a little. The single best update was chucking the old Look HSC-3 fork for a new Easton SL - it's what dreams are made of. Sounds corny for sure, but it has me thinking the old Look job was made of rubber.

HR

Hookyrider said:
They finally found a little bit of fat to trim off the Tuscany, so ti's lost a few grams over the old model. I'm sure it rides perfectly.

Mine was full D/A to include the wheels, but as pieces have worn out they've been changed/updated a little. The single best update was chucking the old Look HSC-3 fork for a new Easton SL - it's what dreams are made of. Sounds corny for sure, but it has me thinking the old Look job was made of rubber.

HR
About how much do they weigh?

Hookyrider said:

HR
Yep, it's lost a tad of weight, but not like it was "heavy" in 2000 either. :) I didn't have the lightest parts on it, but even with aero Shamal's it was around 19 lbs.

However, the Wound Up fork I had at the time was just too harsh a ride for that front end. Great tracker & descender though it was, it would send jolts through my wrists on non-smooth pave'. :( :p

In 2000 the frame came in at 3.3 pounds, seemed to be Litespeeds' magic frame weight at the time, as I recall several models sharing the same weight.

Originally it was built to come in right at 17 pounds, despite several upgrades, my bike is weighing in at 19.2 today. I'm blaming it all on the crappy training tires I'm running :)

I'm sure you've read this review - but just in case: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/tuscany03.shtml

HR

Hookyrider said:
In 2000 the frame came in at 3.3 pounds, seemed to be Litespeeds' magic frame weight at the time, as I recall several models sharing the same weight.

Originally it was built to come in right at 17 pounds, despite several upgrades, my bike is weighing in at 19.2 today. I'm blaming it all on the crappy training tires I'm running :)

I'm sure you've read this review - but just in case: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/tuscany03.shtml

HR
I hadn't seen that write up, but he's got it pegged pretty good. I think you're right about the 3.3 lbs., as I seem to remember that number now...from somewhere. (?) ;)

Trying to recall the build on mine...

- 2000 Tusc, 57cm.

> 2000 Shamal tubulars/Vitt Corsa CX. 2000 Nucleon tubulars/Vitt Corsa CX. 32H OP/Chorus w. Wheelsmith 14/15 2x all around/Panaracer Stradius. Aerohead/Record w. 32H DT 14/15 R, 3x + radial; 15 ga. F, 1x/Vredestein Fortezza. Record and Salsa ti skewers.

> 2000 Record 10 short cage, FD, cables, BB, chain, CF levers, seatpost, ErgoBrain, 53/39 x 172.5 Al cranks, steel/ti 12-25, all-ti 13-26. Chorus Pro-Fit. Sidi Genius 3 Mega.

> Cane Creek 200SL brakes w. 'old skool' orange pads. 3T Prima 199. ITM Millenium stem. Chris King HS. Wound Up CF road fork. Cinelli tape. Selle Italia Mythos Trans Am. Giro Boreas.

Whew! That brings back some memories! :rolleyes:

azdroptop said:
Thanks for the link.

Hookyrider: I have read that link. Good info in there. I'm just stuggling with the thought of spending 4K on a bike!:)
No prob. :)

I figured you may have seen that review - but it was worth being sure.

Yeah, I know what you mean about plopping 4 grand down on a bike. When I bought mine I had been shopping for bikes for about 3 years or so, and saving my nickels and dimes on a salary that was pretty meager at the time. I decided 4 grand was my ceiling, and I wanted as much bike for 4 as I could get. I rode just about everything, by doing so I was able to knock some of my “favorites” of the list, and get it paid down to just a few. Then I went shopping for cash savings once I knew what I wanted. I found a shop in San Antonio that was willing to make me the best price I could find anywhere. Full retail my bike would have been over 5,250 bucks, but Tom worked with me and I got a custom painted Tuscany (to include the fork), Litepseed seatpost (horrible engineering, but $250 retail), full D/A, with the D/A wheelset, TTT Zepp stem & 199 bar, Look HSC-3 fork, X-2 speedplays, flightdeck computer, AND shipping for 3900. I said sold! I used a credit card with 6-months same as cash, paid just over half when the first bill came due, and paid the balance before I was charged interest.

I’m still more than satisfied with the bike after about 55,000 miles of use. The only original parts left now are the Frame, bottom bracket, crankset, stem, and brakeset (which will be replaced soon, the rear brake just isn’t quite right anymore). Don’t kill yourself over a bike, but at the same time, if you buy the right bike, you’ll have it for years to come, while looking at new bikes is always fun, you’ll not feel the need to part with YOUR ride.

HR

Hookyrider said:
Don’t kill yourself over a bike, but at the same time, if you buy the right bike, you’ll have it for years to come, while looking at new bikes is always fun, you’ll not feel the need to part with YOUR ride.
Well that's the thing with Litespeed's - once you have the one that fits you size-wise and for riding style, you really don't want another bike. I look at it as saving lots of money down the road by not constanly being on the "upgrade" path.

;)

Hookyrider said:
I figured you may have seen that review - but it was worth being sure.

Yeah, I know what you mean about plopping 4 grand down on a bike. When I bought mine I had been shopping for bikes for about 3 years or so, and saving my nickels and dimes on a salary that was pretty meager at the time. I decided 4 grand was my ceiling, and I wanted as much bike for 4 as I could get. I rode just about everything, by doing so I was able to knock some of my “favorites” of the list, and get it paid down to just a few. Then I went shopping for cash savings once I knew what I wanted. I found a shop in San Antonio that was willing to make me the best price I could find anywhere. Full retail my bike would have been over 5,250 bucks, but Tom worked with me and I got a custom painted Tuscany (to include the fork), Litepseed seatpost (horrible engineering, but $250 retail), full D/A, with the D/A wheelset, TTT Zepp stem & 199 bar, Look HSC-3 fork, X-2 speedplays, flightdeck computer, AND shipping for 3900. I said sold! I used a credit card with 6-months same as cash, paid just over half when the first bill came due, and paid the balance before I was charged interest.

I’m still more than satisfied with the bike after about 55,000 miles of use. The only original parts left now are the Frame, bottom bracket, crankset, stem, and brakeset (which will be replaced soon, the rear brake just isn’t quite right anymore). Don’t kill yourself over a bike, but at the same time, if you buy the right bike, you’ll have it for years to come, while looking at new bikes is always fun, you’ll not feel the need to part with YOUR ride.

HR
Cool story! I definately need to ride one before I stop considering them completely. :)