Litespeed Ultimate - opinions / options?

DanP

Oct 5, 2003
Hi folks,

I know this is a pricey one, but lets say that one has resigned to spending in this range (or one had a good year in the stock market). So if you were treating yourself to an "ultimate road bike" (still in the 5k range):

Thoughts on this specific bike? Any others in this price range that you would consider?

Although will use on Tri's, I'm not after a Tri bike. All flat here (this is Florida).

Right now I am lusting after that specific bike, but no specific reason to justify it.

Thanks!

P.s.: I'm not coordinated or knowledgeable enough to buy separate components and put it together, so lets skip that option.

Originally posted by DanP
Hi folks,

I know this is a pricey one, but lets say that one has resigned to spending in this range (or one had a good year in the stock market). So if you were treating yourself to an "ultimate road bike" (still in the 5k range):

Thoughts on this specific bike? Any others in this price range that you would consider?

Although will use on Tri's, I'm not after a Tri bike. All flat here (this is Florida).

Right now I am lusting after that specific bike, but no specific reason to justify it.

Thanks!

P.s.: I'm not coordinated or knowledgeable enough to buy separate components and put it together, so lets skip that option.

Like you I looked at the Litespeed, however, I've put them in third place and looked at the Seven and the Moots, which are in the 4,500-5,000. Now I'm hard pressed to make a firm choice. The Moots has the best finish detail, i.e. welds, customer service. These two bikes are truly custom made.

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Certainly nothing wrong with Litespeed, but for that kind of money, you could get most any top-name italian or custom builder frame equipped the way you want it. The frame builder, seller, or even your LBS can do the assembly for a small additional fee, so that shouldn't be an issue. If your prepared to shell out the big bucks, only problem is deciding exactly what you want!

Hi folks,

Thanks!

Only if you are big enough and strong enough to need and use what the frame has to offer. Not my Idea of a good time,and a Vortex or Tuscany might be the better choice if you are hung up on litespeed. Merlin Extra Lite is more in line with my needs. YMMV.

It would be a good choice. You're probably the first person I've met who has made money gambling on the markets.

Thanks for the info so far!

The Merlin Extralight is very appealing, will need to learn more about it. Actually I need to look up the other ones mentioned, some I've never heard of.

This is going to be a tough decision (not that I'm complaining)...

well I own an old Litespeed Catalyst and have test ride a Tuscany.
The Tuscany is a sweet bike and it's a very good all around road bike. It's not as stiff if you would want to race and beat people but indeed it's stiff enough. It's all Ti so the rear has a tendency o bounce around a little bit. But it's a veru comfortable bike, one that you can ride all day.
Having said that, the Ultimate is made of 6/4 Ti and thus would be stiffer. It also has carbon seat stay thus would help to eliminate that rear end bounciness. I would think that the Ultimate is a very good bike. Plus it's Ti and it would last you a long time without much degredation of performance from the frame. You can also have the frame custome made for you at an extra $500 I believe.
But should you want another suggestion, how about the Colnago C50. Colnago has a long tradition and they're always in the crosshair of other bike manufacturers. If you can, I would test ride the Colnago and the Ultimate.
Besides, you haven't told us what kind of riding you will be doing. TT from a road bike can be uncomfortable because you'll be really stretched out on the top tube.
GL

well I own an old Litespeed Catalyst and have test ride a Tuscany.
The Tuscany is a sweet bike and it's a very good all around road bike. It's not as stiff if you would want to race and beat people but indeed it's stiff enough. It's all Ti so the rear has a tendency o bounce around a little bit. But it's a veru comfortable bike, one that you can ride all day.
Having said that, the Ultimate is made of 6/4 Ti and thus would be stiffer. It also has carbon seat stay thus would help to eliminate that rear end bounciness. I would think that the Ultimate is a very good bike. Plus it's Ti and it would last you a long time without much degredation of performance from the frame. You can also have the frame custome made for you at an extra $500 I believe.
But should you want another suggestion, how about the Colnago C50. Colnago has a long tradition and they're always in the crosshair of other bike manufacturers. If you can, I would test ride the Colnago and the Ultimate.
Besides, you haven't told us what kind of riding you will be doing. TT from a road bike can be uncomfortable because you'll be really stretched out on the top tube.
GL

Thanks Rudy.

Tomorrow all the local shops should be open, I'm off from work so the plan for the day is to visit a few and try to narrow down.
Added a Colnago shop on my list.

As far as the intended use, besides a few shorter Tri/Duos my regular rides boil down to < 25 mile timed rides.

So far still leaning towards Litespeed, although taking a closer look at Vortex & Tuscany. Unsure about Dura-Ace or Record, but will do a search on what must be a well discussed & opinionated topic here.

Appreciate the info so far, thanks!

Thanks Rudy.

Tomorrow all the local shops should be open, I'm off from work so the plan for the day is to visit a few and try to narrow down.

As far as the intended use, besides a few shorter Tri/Duos my regular rides boil down to < 25 mile timed rides.

So far still leaning towards Litespeed, although taking a closer look at Vortex & Tuscany. Unsure about Dura-Ace or Record, but will do a search on what must be a well discussed & opinionated topic here.

The Vortex would be my choice over the Ultimate. JMO

Thanks Rudy.

Well I just built a Kestrel Talon with mostly Ultegra, except for the shifter and deraileurs are Dura Ace. I must say that I really like the Dura Ace shifter a lot. Record is suppose to be very good but much more expensive than the Dura Ace.
The Vortex would be lighter and stiffer than the Ultimate. But since you'll probably will NOT be doing very long distance, I would think the Ultimate can give you more comfort than the Vortex. Either the Ultimate or Vortex will do a better jobs on climbing than the Tuscany. But the Tuscany is much less expensive and a bit more comfortable.
Either bikes, Vortex or Ultimate are all very good. If I can afford it, I would take an aim at the Ultimate too myself.

Let us know which one you ended up getting and what are your over all impressions of all the bikes you test ride.
GL

Originally posted by Rudy
Well
The Vortex would stiffer than the Ultimate. I would think the Ultimate can give you more comfort than the Vortex.

Alot of hooey in here.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Alot of hooey in here.

Boudreaux...man...sometimes you are F****** annoying! and you do act as if you know it all even when you don't agree with another person's opinion. You take all other people's opinions as fact and that you're the only bible.

DanP sorry you had to see those previous replies of mine. I was also very much interested in an Ultimate, being a Litespeed owner myself, but I decided it was way out of budget. So I did look into it quite a bit and very curious as to what you think of the Ultimate.
Read this sales pitch from competitive cyclist about the Ultimate and it should explain about some of my thoughts about this bike. I did hop on and rode and older Vortex and it was nice and stiff. Just how stiff you want in a bike is a personal preference.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=157

Well, made it to several stores today. None had the Vortex at hand.

One had an '04 Tuscany with Ultegra, nice but somehow didn't jump at me in person. I didn't get to ride that one.

Ran into a Cannondale R3000 with Dura-Ace 10, now that bike did jump at me, and I got to ride it.

The frame was a 56, a bit small for me so I but allowing for that it rode great, had they had a 58 I may have brought it home (it was a tad twitchy but I assume that was due to the mis-fit).

Looking at Vortex, Ultimate, Merlin and hopefully Colnago tomorrow, that should narrow it down...

Originally posted by Rudy
DanP sorry you had to see those previous replies of mine. I was also very much interested in an Ultimate, being a Litespeed owner myself, but I decided it was way out of budget. So I did look into it quite a bit and very curious as to what you think of the Ultimate.
Read this sales pitch from competitive cyclist about the Ultimate and it should explain about some of my thoughts about this bike. I did hop on and rode and older Vortex and it was nice and stiff. Just how stiff you want in a bike is a personal preference.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=PRODUCT&PRODUCT.ID=157

Right, that is why I am being so cautious on this purchase since opportunities to spend this much on a bike don't come everyday.

Thanks for the link, interesting.

With any luck I'll get to ride an Ultimate tomorrow, real eager!