Litespeed Vela vs. Litespeed Capella vs. Giant OCR(x)

Loony2nz

Jan 20, 2004
I'm a mountain biker now trying my hand at road biking.
I was on an old Specialized beater bike a friend lent to me a few weeks ago. My first ride felt good. Mind you, I haven't been on a road bike in like a decade or more.

So now I want an entry level bike. My budget was set for ~$1k.

I was looking seriously at the Giant OCR1 or the OCR2.
Then the Colorado Cyclist catalog lands in my mailbox.
What's on the inside cover? Litespeed Vela @ $999 and the Litespeed Capella @ $1199.

The litespeeds look really really nice, well so do the Giants.

Now, I'm more confused. I need help in getting some opinions on what would be the better first "road bike". I want something that will last me for a while.

Oh..i'm a lightweight. ~150lbs. I'm sure rider weight would have some bearing on what bike to buy with it's components.

Thanks everyone for your input in advance!
--Chris-- :)

They are low end brand bikes with cheap components. Buy a noname bike with better components at the same price. AND most importantly RIDE before you BUY

Originally posted by mrowkoob
They are low end brand bikes with cheap components. Buy a noname bike with better components at the same price
That's just hooey.

The two litespeeds are the same frame/fork, only diff is 105 vs. Ultegra. For the extra $200 to get Ultegra I'd go for the Capella.

Low end? Well maybe compared to a 5k TI bike, but based on the 1k pricepoint they are right in line.

Well that goes to show the differences in pricing (taxes and more competition). I´m sure even an aluminum Litespeed would not be availiable here in Europe with a full 105 setup at 999 USD. I made my reply without really checking the components making the assumption that they just like low end Cannondales were mostly tiagra/canecreek/105 mixes. I would not call a full 105 or Ultegra equipped bike a low end bike, more middle and it would cost around 2000-2400 USD here.

Originally posted by mrowkoob
[BI made my reply without really checking the components making the assumption that they just like low end Cannondales were mostly tiagra/canecreek/105 mixes. I would not call a full 105 or Ultegra equipped bike a low end bike, more middle and it would cost around 2000-2400 USD here. [/B]
Always check facts. Helps Keep foot out of mouth. Besides they were also on clearance.

Sounds like the Litespeeds are getting a thumbs up over the OCR's. I'll have to call Colorado Cyclist and see if they're still in stock on the 2 models.

Thank you for your opinions!
--Chris--

I just purchased a Vela from Colorado Cyclist and find it to be a very well made bike. I am only 155 lbs so the 540 wheelset don't give me any issues. They didn't have the Capella in the size I needed and I am not convinced that Ultregra is worth the extra cost. I have had Ultregra and find the new 105 to be just as smooth with only a minimal weight penalty.

Originally posted by cyclist_nc
I just purchased a Vela from Colorado Cyclist and find it to be a very well made bike. I am only 155 lbs so the 540 wheelset don't give me any issues. They didn't have the Capella in the size I needed and I am not convinced that Ultregra is worth the extra cost. I have had Ultregra and find the new 105 to be just as smooth with only a minimal weight penalty.

Did you buy it on the Clearance price? That $1k pricepoint for me looks really appetizing :)

Thanks!
Chris

Yes. After months of looking around, riding bikes I knew I wanted Alum. frameset with min. 105 groupo. I was leaning toward Lemond bikes until I discovered the Vela and at $600 savings it was a no brainer. I am very pleased with the Vela and Colorado Cyclist. One of nice things about Litespeed is that they did not replace the breakset with generic clones as I saw on Lemonds, Cannondale, and Specialize.

As far as I'm concerned ultegra is basically shiny 105 :p the major differences are between entry level, 105/ultegra & dura-ace.

If you want entry-level racing gear go for 105 and spring for a nice pair of shorts with your extra money.

Originally posted by velogruven
As far as I'm concerned ultegra is basically shiny 105 :p the major differences are between entry level, 105/ultegra & dura-ace.

If you want entry-level racing gear go for 105 and spring for a nice pair of shorts with your extra money.

Let me get this right. In comparison to MTB shifters and Road Shifters:

LX == 105
XT == Ultegra
XTR == Dura-Ace

Is that correct?
Is there a major diff. between 105 and Ultegra?

I called Colorado Cyclist and they said the 52cm Capella for me would be 18lbs. I don't know anything about road bike weights (I just know this is ALOT lighter than my MTB). Is 18lbs good for a road bike? Again, this is my first roadbike. This thing doesn't even come with pedals. I need to research this too..hahaha

I'm such a roadie newbie... :)

--Chris--

why ultegra doesnt really cost more than 105

also theres lots of good deals on 9spd d/a

Originally posted by Loony2nz
I was on an old Specialized beater bike a friend lent to me a few weeks ago. My first ride felt good. Mind you, I haven't been on a road bike in like a decade or more.

What's on the inside cover? Litespeed Vela @ $999 and the Litespeed Capella @ $1199.

Now, I'm more confused. I need help in getting some opinions on what would be the better first "road bike". I want something that will last me for a while.

Oh..i'm a lightweight. ~150lbs. I'm sure rider weight would have some bearing on what bike to buy with it's components.

basically, id go for which ever one has the best frame, then over time, and if wanted, start upgrading component and wheel packages as budget allows.
however, this would obviously ony apply if considering racing more than recreational riding.

ok, i bought the bike from C.C. too. it is the lowest price offered said the company making litespeed (some united cyclist or something). for 105 parts the price is way too good! and the tires are good.

they told me the small size would fit me and it weigh 17-18 lbs...i wonder about each...it is in the mail--but it would be my high honor to weigh the ting when i get it.

i read lots of review and they say she is plenty stiff--i'll tell you--i live in the mtns of wv!

note--it is compact geometry which messes up sizing if your not familar with road bikes--the top tub slopes--which makes its actual measurment less the the measurment from the seatpost to the handlebar stem.

Originally posted by Loony2nz

I'm going to assume that by now you've probably made up your mind and already bought a bike. The majority of people seem to favor the Litespeed and I'm certainly in agreement with them on that. If, by chance, you have an extremely long torso then the Giant might fit you better. I rode a couple of Giant roadbikes while looking for a replacement for a bike that got hit by a truck. It seemed like I was leaning forward to the bars for several minutes before my hands actually reached them. The Giant geometry certainly seems to favor long top tubes.

I thought about buying a road bike through Colorado Cyclist a few years ago. After months of comparing and debating I grabbed the phone and a credit card and made the call. I told them which bike I wanted and what size I would need. I was placed on hold and then they informed me that they were out of my size. I asked when they expected to get more of my size and after another short time on hold, they answered, "We're not."

I ended up spending twice the money on an upper-end bike at my LBS and, other than some sweaty palms right after telling them to go ahead on a full Dura-Ace, Easton Aluminum GT ZR-1.0, I've never regretted spending nearly twice what I would have on an Ultegra bike from Colorado Cyclist.

My point is simply that if you want what Colorado Cyclist is selling, buy it now. I'm guessing they buy one time per year in huge volume and when they're gone, they're gone.

:)