Litespeed Veneto/Merlin Extralight

fredf

Apr 8, 2004
I am 6'0", 175lbs, 50yr old and looking for a comfortable ride to do fitness cycling on. I would like it to be efficient (particulary up hills) but also want comfort...I'm new to road biking.
I have decided on Ti for long life and comfort/sportiness.
My LBS has a deal on Litespeed Veneto (Ultegra built) which they say is good geometry for me (after a bike fit) and say it will suit the riding I want to do. It's $3000Cdn.
Then the salesman showed me a 2000 or 2001 Merlin Extralight with dura-ace for $3600 (it's used) and said 'nothing touches a Merlin). Also said the geometry would be perfect for me.

Questions:
...I find very few reviews of Litespeed Venetos. Is it better than a Solano (very much the same price) for my type of riding (salesman says Solano isn't good in his opinion). Veneto is at least cold worked but very little tube manipulation...is is better than a Firenze?
...The Merlin doesn't have the hourglass seat stays they started doing in 2001...will the Merlin frame he showed me (doesn't have hourglass seatstay) be too noodly or not 'refined' enough?

Any advice?

Questions:
...I find very few reviews of Litespeed Venetos. Is it better than a Solano (very much the same price) for my type of riding (salesman says Solano isn't good in his opinion). Veneto is at least cold worked but very little tube manipulation...is is better than a Firenze?
...The Merlin doesn't have the hourglass seat stays they started doing in 2001...will the Merlin frame he showed me (doesn't have hourglass seatstay) be too noodly or not 'refined' enough?

Any advice? [/B][/QUOTE] I cannot comment about the Litespeed bikes, but I can about the Merlin. I have a 2004 Extralight. Of all the bikes in my stable (and I have quite a few), I enjoy this bike the most. It's very stable and very, very comfortable. With a lightweight build, you should be able to tackle most any situation. I truly enjoy this bike.

I have both the Firenze(mine) and the Veneto(my brother-in laws) in my garage right now. Hard to find much fault with either. The Veneto feels a bit more upright to me and may be a bit more comfy on the longer rides.My recomendation would be to ride both and the Solano to see how each feels to you. What ever you choose, I don't think you will make a bad choice.
Good luck, Bone

Originally posted by bone
I have both the Firenze(mine) and the Veneto(my brother-in laws) in my garage right now. Hard to find much fault with either. The Veneto feels a bit more upright to me and may be a bit more comfy on the longer rides.My recomendation would be to ride both and the Solano to see how each feels to you. What ever you choose, I don't think you will make a bad choice.
Good luck, Bone

To Bone's point, I again reviewed your initial post. Since you are "new to road biking," perhaps you should consider a bike a bit less costly. As Bone mentioned, it's the *fit* and *feel* of the bike which counts most. If, after a period of time, you feel that road biking accomplishes your desire to "do fitness cycling," then you can upgrade to another bike. It would be disapointing to make the investment you're considering and then conclude that road biking does not accomplish your objective.

Originally posted by bone
Good luck, Bone

Bone,
Any comments on how the veneto rides in terms of handling? Is is 'quick', does it accelerate well? Does it feel sporty even though it is a bit upright?
thanks

Hi Fred,
I'll give you my opinion on the Veneto but first a few qualifiers. Because I don't race, quick and acceleration are a bit subjective to me. Also, the Veneto's frame is one size too small for me. My Brother-in-law wound up with a compact frame because he has short legs and a long torso. When he got on a standard frame he could stand over, the top tube was too short and he felt cramped. The Veneto being slightly small for me also leaves me feeling a bit cramped. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. The Veneto has a stiffer feel to me than my bike. It feels like a heavier bike to me even though the scale says it is not. Acceleration wise it feels a bit slower to me but this is most likely because it is small for me. It rides/ shifts well etc. and the finish (it's polished) is nicer than the Firenze. Don't make a decision without riding all you choices. You may have to go back for several test rides as you narrow down the field. I recently bought a bike for my wife. One store on my second visit handed me the allen wrenches and let me fit and take out whatever bikes I wanted. I ultimately bought there and subsequently brought a friend over who also purchased there. I guess I am starting to ramble- The point is don't rush and make an informed decision.
Good luck, Bone