Litespeed VS madone

bunsofsteel

Jul 30, 2010
just scored a litespeed 98 vint and really just fell in love its a dream ride almost as fast as my pricy carbon ride that already has chips and scratches after only 4 months , now i scored both on the local craiglist used for less than 1/3 of new and i dont mean list price i mean 1/3 of the best price u got love the list . but now i find my self on the litespeed every day and my trek collects dust . i love the way it rides so responsive just not as fast as the modern full Carbon Trek as my times are slightly slower on litespeed . but im now in the process of updating the wheels set and was wondering if anybody has long advice on the STI 600 that came on this litespeed the shifts are soft even though i replaced the cables is this the norm for this group ? i was campy back in them days and want to know if they should b sent out to be rebuilt or just dump em and move up

bunsofsteel said:
just scored a litespeed 98 vint and really just fell in love its a dream ride almost as fast as my pricy carbon ride that already has chips and scratches after only 4 months , now i scored both on the local craiglist used for less than 1/3 of new and i dont mean list price i mean 1/3 of the best price u got love the list . but now i find my self on the litespeed every day and my trek collects dust . i love the way it rides so responsive just not as fast as the modern full Carbon Trek as my times are slightly slower on litespeed . but im now in the process of updating the wheels set and was wondering if anybody has long advice on the STI 600 that came on this litespeed the shifts are soft even though i replaced the cables is this the norm for this group ? i was campy back in them days and want to know if they should b sent out to be rebuilt or just dump em and move up

Shimano brifters cannot be rebuilt. They are of the use and throw away flavor. If you've already changed the cables, then you should move on to thoroughly cleaning and lubing the front and rear derailleurs, as well as the brifters (as much as you can. WD-40 helps with the cleaning, as does compressed gas). Then make sure the cable guide on the bottom of the bike is clean, then lube the cables, there. Last, be sure you've got sufficient cable tension.

FWIW, it sounds like you scored well on craigslist. The Litespeed should be just as fast as the Trek, assuming they fit identically.

[well it turns out it was in the STI shifters . i turned the bike upside down completly sumerged and let em soak over night in Dextron trans mission fuild problem solved shifts are crisp and never miss . but now i find my shelf debating the the Kinesis Aluminum fork /was going to replace with a carbon but dont really see the point i mean i have had lots of alum forks in the past with no issues and i cant nit pick the ride of this fork it feels fine no real road shock! no chatter whats so ever if anything the litespeed feels fine with fork why spend $300 on a fork and headset stem to save 200 grams ? i thought i would hate this fork but its great i have lots of carbon fork ride time over the past decade and really cant see spending the money . oh ended up with a pricy big name saddle (F*)&*%^) that really tore me up on a 30 mile ride and only had the Terry that came with the bike . what a nice saddle its a dream thought the seams would bug me but after 200 some miles im pain free . **** got 4 of brand new at the flea market and put em all other bikes for female friends !think Terry is a womens saddle its great for men too but i took a majic marker and colored in the bright blue accents looked girlie