Littering ==) Picking up garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
"David Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've never littered and consider those who do disposable sociopaths, but I consider picking up
> someone else's trash an enabling activity so I can't bring myself to do it. Get rid of the
> litterbugs, not the litter.
>
The problem lies in the sad fact that if it doesn't get picked up, the trails just get uglier and
uglier. Most parks have a bi-yearly cleanup day, and besides that, cleanup is done by a park
ranger, who is highly educated and should be best used doing other things, or another park
employee, who is not doing what he was hired for. In the current climate of a bottomed-out,
barely-recovering economy, there are no spare employees for picking up trash. If we don't do it,
it might not get done for months. If people see lots of litter they'll think it's OK to just
pitch stuff. If they see a clean trail, only the jerks will litter.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> "Karl Pollak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > I don't know about your Scouts, but _my_ Sea Scouts do a "river clean up" every year. We spend a
> > day on the water usually in Steveston harbour and it is a rare time when we go home with fewer
> > than 4 or 5 big garbage bags full of stuff. Some goes into recycling, most into land fill.
> >
> I'm taking a youth group to a primitive campsite in a national forest, and when I scouted it
> out, I decided that the first group activity will be a group policing of the entire campground.
> We'll talk about stewardship and God-Art first, and I'll almost guarantee that they'll not only
> not mind (most of them), they'll pick up trash on every hike they go on in the future. Don't
> most of you carry a small bag for picking up trash on every hike? We can all make a difference,
> one hiker at a time.
>
> Peace, Frank
>
>
>

I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out what I
find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they end up in
the garbage.
--

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Chris Phillipo wrote:

> I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out what
> I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they end up
> in the garbage.

I've found the odd one in parking lots at trailheards. They are worth a dime in Canada.

Cheers, Lech

x-no-archive: yes Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out what
>I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they end up
>in the garbage.

That's insane! The first thing the recyclers do with the cans is to crush them. For the same reasons
that you do, to save space.

--
Greetings from Lotusland

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:48:16 GMT, [email protected] (Karl Pollak) wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out what
>>I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they end up
>>in the garbage.

"Recycling Centers" or "Redemption Centers"?

In our area, you just can't get the deposit back on a crushed can from a "Redemption Center".

Recycling centers will take any aluminum, even old bike parts.

Barry

Well in CT it's a 5 cent deposit but ice tea and lemonade cans have no deposit. Same material, go
figure........

"Karl Pollak" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out
> >what I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they
> >end up in the garbage.
>
> That's insane! The first thing the recyclers do with the cans is to crush them. For the same
> reasons that you do, to save space.
>
> --
> Greetings from Lotusland

Karl Pollak wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
>>I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out what
>>I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they end up
>>in the garbage.
>
>
> That's insane! The first thing the recyclers do with the cans is to crush them. For the same
> reasons that you do, to save space.
>

The reason most won't take "crushed cans" is that many people have been known to add a little sand
to those cans, increasing the weight, so they get more money when selling them.
--
Rodney Long, Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Straight Up Hooks , Straight Up Lures, Mojo's
Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

Rodney wrote:

> Karl Pollak wrote:
>
>> x-no-archive: yes Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>> I've found beer cans in some of the most remote places you can imagine, I crush and carry out
>>> what I find most times. The sad thing is, recycling centers here won't take crushed cans so they
>>> end up in the garbage.
>>
>>
>>
>> That's insane! The first thing the recyclers do with the cans is to crush them. For the same
>> reasons that you do, to save space.
>>
>
> The reason most won't take "crushed cans" is that many people have been known to add a little sand
> to those cans, increasing the weight, so they get more money when selling them.

Gee....an here I've been returning them emply....what a sucker! :)

Brian

You've all touched a sore spot with me. I patrol some private lakes in SW Colorado and pick up a
fair share of trash. In my not too humble opinion, I think that a bullet in the ass and permanent
removal from the gene pool would be the most appropriate "penalty" for the trashy people who shower
the countryside with their garbage. KE

So in effect... if it wasn't for the litter bugs you wouldn't have a job!???

CM

"Kerry Evans" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| You've all touched a sore spot with me. I patrol some private lakes in SW Colorado and pick up a
| fair share of trash. In my not too humble opinion,
I
| think that a bullet in the ass and permanent removal from the gene pool would be the most
| appropriate "penalty" for the trashy people who shower
the
| countryside with their garbage. KE
|
|

RE/
>You've all touched a sore spot with me. I patrol some private lakes in SW Colorado and pick up a
>fair share of trash. In my not too humble opinion, I think that a bullet in the ass and permanent
>removal from the gene pool would be the most appropriate "penalty" for the trashy people who shower
>the countryside with their garbage. KE

That's why I like my own method. When I go out, I try to pick up just one (1) thing. A can, a
bottle, whatever....

If everybody did that, there'd be no problem. OTOH if I spent every waking hour picking up other
people's trash there'd still be a problem.

This way, I satisfy my concience but don't get too bent out of shape doing it.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

It helps if as you pick something up and put it in your pack you mutter to yourself, "The homage
that age owes to youth."

In article <[email protected]>, Kerry Evans <[email protected]> wrote:
>You've all touched a sore spot with me. I patrol some private lakes in SW Colorado and pick up a
>fair share of trash. In my not too humble opinion, I think that a bullet in the ass and permanent
>removal from the gene pool would be the most appropriate "penalty" for the trashy people who shower
>the countryside with their garbage. KE

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:32:55 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> When I go out, I try to pick up just one (1) thing. A can, a bottle, whatever....
>
>If everybody did that, there'd be no problem. OTOH if I spent every waking hour picking up other
>people's trash there'd still be a problem.
>
>This way, I satisfy my concience but don't get too bent out of shape doing it.

Thanks for the idea. Even two items would be okay with me.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing. Often taunted by trout. Only a
fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

"Kerry Evans" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
> You've all touched a sore spot with me. I patrol some private lakes in SW Colorado and pick up a
> fair share of trash. In my not too humble opinion,
I
> think that a bullet in the ass and permanent removal from the gene pool would be the most
> appropriate "penalty" for the trashy people who shower
the
> countryside with their garbage. KE

True, but unless you bring out the bodies, not only will you still have the trash, but the smell is
bad for quite a while, I find...

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

Frank Johansen Aurora, Ontario

If I toss an aluminum beverage can out the window of my car in a rural area, does it not roll into
the ditch and biodegrade naturally in 5000 years without any human effort or use of nonrenewable
energy to "recycle", quicker if you're fortunate enough to have acid rain? :-]

Yes it would, however aluminum is not a natural metal that would be found in the soil in that
said same rural area. Most metals have very adverse effects on soil (or water) usefulness, ie
copper in the water kills all forms of plant life, in salt water copper is also extremely lethal
to corals, etc etc..

Greg Moore

"David Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> If I toss an aluminum beverage can out the window of my car in a rural area, does it not roll into
> the ditch and biodegrade naturally in 5000 years without any human effort or use of nonrenewable
> energy to "recycle", quicker if you're fortunate enough to have acid rain? :-]

Actually aluminum oxide is a major component of all soils worldwide that are not pure sand. Clay
loam soils are several percent aluminum by weight. Where David Wood is incorrect is in his statement
about the use of nonrenewable energy to recycle the aluminum. Resmelting the can uses only a tiny
fraction of the energy that is used to make "virgin" aluminum. The huge amount of energy needed to
make new aluminum is the reason it is so expensive on a per pound/kilo basis. The ore itself is in
plentiful supply and very cheap. Please recycle your aluminum cans and help reduce the burning of
fossil fuels.

Jon

Greg Moore wrote:
>
> Yes it would, however aluminum is not a natural metal that would be found in the soil in that said
> same rural area. Most metals have very adverse effects on soil (or water) usefulness, ie copper in
> the water kills all forms of plant life, in salt water copper is also extremely lethal to corals,
> etc etc..
>
> Greg Moore
>
> "David Wood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > If I toss an aluminum beverage can out the window of my car in a rural area, does it not roll
> > into the ditch and biodegrade naturally in 5000 years without any human effort or use of
> > nonrenewable energy to "recycle", quicker if you're fortunate enough to have acid rain? :-]

I can't tell you how up-lifting it is to see there are like minded individuals from coast to coast.
I don't like picking up garbage but I do it anyways. I love the outdoors and I will do what I can
to protect it. I also believe (as others have pointed out) that others are less likely to litter if
they see you pick up trash. Others are also less likely to litter if they find a clean natural
environment when they come in. In the end, I hope to have a positive impact on the environment. I
will continue to pick up the garbage I come across, teach my kids to do it and suggest my friends
do the same.

Regards,

Fabien

"..." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I cross posted this to several outdoor groups because I believe the information concerns us all
> outdoorsmen and women (and I wanted to reach
the
> maximum audience). Please read on and spread the word.
>
> Shortly after I bought the cottage, I started noticing much garbage on the trails. I decided to
> start picking it up. I am up to 19 bags full of
garbage
> collected so far. The vast majority is pop cans, plastic bottles, glass (including beer) bottles,
> and packs of cigarettes. I bring it back,
recycle
> or dump it.
>
> Simply put I think people who litter, ever, in any capacity, have some serious moral deficiencies.
> Who the hell is lazy and selfish enough to
throw
> trash out the window instead of waiting for home? Serious loosers IMO. I started discussing this
> with my neighbours (who agree, some already pick
up
> garbage themselves) and went to the provincial police about it (who said they will come up and
> asked me to complain to the municipality).
>
> If you have any friend or know anyone who does this and thinks it's cool
or
> okay, please do everyone a favour and smack some sense into them. And if
you
> ever see garbage on the trail (or anywhere) and pick it up, I thank you, many people like me thank
> you and the earth thanks you.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Fabien

... wrote:

>I can't tell you how up-lifting it is to see there are like minded individuals from coast to coast.
>I don't like picking up garbage but I do it anyways. I love the outdoors and I will do what I can
>to protect it...........I will continue to pick up the garbage I come across, teach my kids to do
>it and suggest my friends do the same.
>
>
>
>
Kudos.

Pete H

--
There are two sides to every argument unless someone is personally involved in which case there is
only one. anon.

Status
Not open for further replies.