Little D's first track race of '07

DiRt DeViL

Feb 8, 2006
After finishing 1st on his group in 2006, Little DeViL had his first track event of the season. He was moved to the 11-12 y/o class and will be participating in 3 races per event, 200m, 500m and chase; this in addition to road and mtb.

For this event the preparation was, what preparation? With daily rains and tons of school work he didn't rode a bit last week. To deal with that I got him a CycleOps Magneto and this morning he started his official training regimen.

We're also trying to figure out how o deal with a shifting problem that he has on the roadie. His hands are small and he can't shift on the left side. After posting in several forums the consensus is to add shims to the shifter and install a thumb or bar end shifter so he can shift. I'll be searching for a left side shifter real soon, eBay will be the first place to look.

Back to the event, he finished 3rd on the 200m and last on the 500m and chase. He knows that this group is faster and that he needs to train and loose weight in order to find his winning ways, we'll see how he does on the next one.

We had a beutiful sunrise
DSCN0206.jpg

Then drove thru "La Cordillera Central"
DSCN0208.jpg

Barelly saw "Las Tetas de Cayey"
DSCN0209.jpg

Action
DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

More action pics from the day's action here.

Hey, r u tired? Yeap!
DSCN0238.jpg

We had mexican food after the race and headed home after a long day at the velodrome.

On the way back we saw some brush fires
DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0304.jpg

That's all for now, stay tuned for more.

hey, great job, I dont want to sound evil, but your kid needs to loose 20 lbs, he is way overweight for his age.. what are you feeding him?

cat6 said:
hey, great job, I dont want to sound evil, but your kid needs to loose 20 lbs, he is way overweight for his age.. what are you feeding him?
Pizza and burguers :D

Just kiddin', he gained a lot of that weight last year when he broke his leg on summer camp. He knows that with exercise and training the weight will come down and the gut will go away, he's working on that.

Cat6 grow up.

Dirt Devil, good work, wish more people would take the time to get their kids involved in something so positive and rewarding. At that age I wouldn't worry at all about preparation. Kids should just ride, race, make friends in the sport and have fun.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
Cat6 grow up.

Dirt Devil, good work, wish more people would take the time to get their kids involved in something so positive and rewarding. At that age I wouldn't worry at all about preparation. Kids should just ride, race, make friends in the sport and have fun.

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

His son has a valid excuse for gaining weight, but you sound like a some fat parent who eat hi calorie junk food, and feed their kids the same, then saying "h its ok, he just looks healthy"

In case you not aware child obesity is a nationl desiase in US and other developed countries.

In most cases of owerveight children if parents do not drastically change food intake/exersize routine, by the age of 13 the child will not see him/herself "normal" they will feel that thats how they will be for the rest of thir lives..

Grow up.

So your saving the world one fat kid at a time.

As the father mentioned the kid knows he has a bit to lose, i'm sure the father is doing the right thing by encouraging him to take up a physical activity rather than reward him for getting high score on Doom or Quake.

I am confident that if a love for cycling is nurtured in this young chap he will become more athletic. Your work on this case is done!

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

Guys, take it easy.

We know that he needs to loose the gut and keep cycling fun.

His coach wants him to have a training/excersice routine so he'll get acostumed to it. I'm trying not to make it a job, on the contrary we're trying to make it fun.

Let me clarify something, he does play games (Xbox, Gameboy DS, On-Line) but isn't his main thing. He's very passionate about cycling and is almost always talking about riding or where to go and ride.

Let the kids be kids and have fun.