LITTLE GIRL KILLED WHILE RIDING NEW BIKE

Hi, I'm Chucky!

Guest
http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ap/1207/2704_girl_killed_bike.html

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- A 7-year-old girl was struck and killed by a pickup
truck while riding her new bicycle in front of her home on Christmas
morning, police and family members said.

Jacueline Solis rode the pink and purple bike into the truck's path as
it accelerated from a stop at an intersection, police Sgt. Charlie
Delgado said. Jacueline, who got the bike as a Christmas gift, died at
the scene.

The driver was not speeding and won't face criminal charges, police
said.

"She was only supposed to ride on the sidewalk," said Maria Guerra,
Jacueline's aunt.

More than 50 people held a candlelight vigil in Jacueline's memory
Tuesday evening.

"She was just out caroling up and down this street last night," said
Raul Guerra, the uncle of the girl's father. "She knew about everybody
on this block."

The family was in shock over the loss and dreading future holidays.
"They'll be so difficult for us," Raul Guerra said. "I don't know how
we'll do it."

--
Rob Cypher
robcypher.livejournal.com [email protected]

Hi, I'm Chucky! wrote:
> http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ap/1207/2704_girl_killed_bike.html
>
> SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- A 7-year-old girl was struck and killed by a pickup
> truck while riding her new bicycle in front of her home on Christmas
> morning, police and family members said.
>
> Jacueline Solis rode the pink and purple bike into the truck's path as
> it accelerated from a stop at an intersection, police Sgt. Charlie
> Delgado said. Jacueline, who got the bike as a Christmas gift, died at
> the scene.
>
> The driver was not speeding and won't face criminal charges, police
> said.
>
> "She was only supposed to ride on the sidewalk," said Maria Guerra,
> Jacueline's aunt.
>
> More than 50 people held a candlelight vigil in Jacueline's memory
> Tuesday evening.
>
> "She was just out caroling up and down this street last night," said
> Raul Guerra, the uncle of the girl's father. "She knew about everybody
> on this block."
>
> The family was in shock over the loss and dreading future holidays.
> "They'll be so difficult for us," Raul Guerra said. "I don't know how
> we'll do it."

When I see something like this in the news, I have to cringe and wonder
why the child wasn't being supervised by an adult? When my daughter was
learning to ride, it was either in a large parking lot (school or church
typically, so no cars) with me present or (after she'd mastered basic
skills) I was riding with her to supervise and teach her how to ride
near traffic. Even then, it scared the **** out of me to have her riding
near cars, but she'd never learn how to do so safely otherwise.

Sadly,
Mike Johnson