Live coverage of TdF on TV in the UK

markyboy1001@ma

Oct 26, 2004
Hi

Just wondered if anybody knows if this year's TdF is being covered live (every stage from beginning to end) on TV in the UK. I have a suspicion it is on Eurosport - if so, is 'British Eurosport' the same thing as 'Eurosport'?

As my friend and I cannot go this year (went last year for the first time and loved it) we plan to spend a day parked in front of the box eating french bread and cheese with a bottle of French wine.

Which stage looks the best to watch? Is there any an equivalent to last year's Alp D'Huez? Stage 10 (Grenoble to Corchevel) looks goods.

Thanks for any advice.

Stage 10 will rock.....

from: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t252455-irish-television--live-tdf-2005-coverage.html

In the UK you have daily LIVE coverage from EuroSport which has Shaun Kelly who undoubtedly is the worst commenter going around... I have no idea why they don’t hire someone who is a cycling fan who can speak with enthusiasm.... ? that would be way better than a bloke who cant inject any excitement or even any knowledge of the sport from his illustrious career….

There is also ITV2 (on freeview) which has half-hour coverage each night and live on weekends with the 'voice of cycling' Phil Ligget...... he is a legend and is the only English speaking commentator worth listening to.... they also have Chris Boardmen as the 'special comments' man.....

I also read that SBS's coverage in
Australia was even taking precedence of the Ashes Cricket coverage (Australia v England) !!! That’s a first ! Cycling taking over a major sport ! For you guys in the US this is like a football game not been shown on TV to show stage 7 of the Tour de France ! unprecedented !

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t252455-irish-television--live-tdf-2005-coverage.html

markyboy1001@ma said:
Hi

Just wondered if anybody knows if this year's TdF is being covered live (every stage from beginning to end) on TV in the UK. I have a suspicion it is on Eurosport - if so, is 'British Eurosport' the same thing as 'Eurosport'?

As my friend and I cannot go this year (went last year for the first time and loved it) we plan to spend a day parked in front of the box eating french bread and cheese with a bottle of French wine.

Which stage looks the best to watch? Is there any an equivalent to last year's Alp D'Huez? Stage 10 (Grenoble to Corchevel) looks goods.

Thanks for any advice.

markyboy1001@ma said:
Hi

Thanks for any advice.
Hi everyone!

I understand it's on ITV2 again . . . haven't found the scheduling yet!

ITV TdF link not working earlier this morning . . .

I should also mention that EuroSport has a a Tour de France preview lasting 90 minutes at 18:00 on Friday 1st July and at 19:00 in Europe...... should be good...... :)

WBT out.