Live High/Train Higher

WattsAMatta

Sep 20, 2007
I live at 7000 ft, and do 95% of my riding at altitudes between 6500 and 9000 feet. Last weekend I rode at sea level (Levi's GranFondo) and noticed not only the expected power increase, but also that it was my legs that seemed to be the limiting factor. On training rides near home it's my my heart and lungs that limit my output -- I never 'feel the burn' in my muscles. Now I'm planning my off season training, and I'm wondering if there is there anything that I can do to achieve a better balance in these limiters?
-- Bryan

WattsAMatta said:
I'm wondering if there is there anything that I can do to achieve a better balance in these limiters?

Yes.

Oh, you want to know what you could do? ;) In that regard, one idea would be to buy a hypoxic generator from one of the altitude tent companies and use the 'waste' gas to perform hyperoxic training.

WattsAMatta said:
I'm wondering if there is there anything that I can do to achieve a better balance in these limiters?

Probably this is obvious, but would training "low" on a more regular basis be an option?

frenchyge said:
Probably this is obvious, but would training "low" on a more regular basis be an option?

It's not much of an option. The nearest "low" is still over 4500 ft, and even that would add 25 miles and 5000 ft of climbing to any workout I did there. If I were to haul my bike in the car, it would be a 90 minute drive to get below 1000 ft.

-- Bryan

What, you saying you didn't sneak in the 'hyperbaric training room' as part of your recent remodel??? Thought fer sure that was the whole point of tearing your house apart :)

-Dave

daveryanwyoming said:
What, you saying you didn't sneak in the 'hyperbaric training room' as part of your recent remodel??? Thought fer sure that was the whole point of tearing your house apart :)

-Dave

I did pitch the idea to the wife, but she had the opinion that certain frills like 'plumbing' and 'heat' should take priority.:)
-- Bryan

WattsAMatta said:
I did pitch the idea to the wife, but she had the opinion that certain frills like 'plumbing' and 'heat' should take priority.:)
-- Bryan

Plumbing and heat do not pain cave make... but it would be pointless trying to explain :rolleyes:. :D