"Live Strong in Character - Don't Leave Your Family"

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200308/200308_hardway_200308_1.html
On
> Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:54:47 -0600, "Richard" <[email protected]> in news

> I don't consider flossing my teeth to be fun, but it is a good thing.

Is an amputation a good thing? I know it might be necessary but would you
call it "good"?

> [...]
> their interests and his own are the same -- Stendhal

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200308/200308_hardway_200308_1.html
On
> Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:54:47 -0600, "Richard" <[email protected]> in news

> I don't consider flossing my teeth to be fun, but it is a good thing.

Is an amputation a good thing? I know it might be necessary but would you
call it "good"?

> Liz #658 BAAWA
>
> The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that
> their interests and his own are the same -- Stendhal

"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:55:28 -0600, "Richard" <[email protected]> in
> news message <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>>

>>> One evil, I presume that you are referring to is staying in the
>>> marrriage. LOL
>>>
>>> But, no you are wrong. Divorce can be the a good thing. In fact, it
>>> can be the best thing that happens to a marriage in some circumstances.
>>> And I can avoid insulting you when I disagree with you.
>>>

>>Divorce is a good thing in the same way that amputating a leg is a good
>>thing. It is good that the patient lived, but other outcomes would have
>>been a lot better. All things considered, most people don't consider an
>>amputation to be a real positive event.

> Do you remember the climber who cut off his own arm.
>
> http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200308/200308_hardway_200308_1.html
>
> He sawed through the soft tissue between the broken bones and
> amputated his hand.
>
> "All the desires, joys, and euphorias of a future life came rushing
> into me," Ralston stated at the press conference. "Maybe this is how I
> handled the pain. I was so happy to be taking action."
>
> ~~ end excerpt
>

> But that aside, I know two women whose divorces was certainly a good
> thing. They chose unwisely when they married. One married a man who
> started seeing other women within two weeks of their marriage, and
> another married a man who was lazy, profligate, and a spendthrift,
> which were among his good traits. Divorces in both of these short
> lived marriages were very good. There wasn't one thing that either of
> these women regretted about their divorces because the marriages were
> truly regrettable. The divorce prevented a future lifetime of
> horrible unhappiness. Both women went on to make good second
> marriages. One of these women has just celebrated her 30th wedding
> anniversary; the other has been happily married for 10 years. Without
> leaving their first horrid marriages, they would have never found the
> loves of their lives.
>

> You may not believe that divorce can be a good thing, but your biases
> notwithstanding, there are cases where it is.

i believe you're all purposely missing the poster's point...either that or
you're all incredibly obtuse. when people get married they expect to stay
married. it often happens that divorce is the only reasonable thing that can
happen in order for them to be happy. that's a state though. wouldnt they
rather be able to be happy AND married? i would hope they at least tried to
go that route before they decided that there was no recourse but divorce. a
divorce is a failed marriage. how else can one look at it? it doesnt matter
who failed, the cheating husband, lazy husband, frigid wife, cheating wife,
etc).

Now of course i'm sure i will be slammed for my pedestrian view that people
marry with the idea that it will be for life. call me a crazy idealist.

personally, i divorced my first wife because she couldnt run a 6 minute
mile...unless she was in bed with one of my friends.

> [...]

married. it often happens that divorce is the only reasonable thing that can
happen in order for them to be happy. that's a state though. wouldnt they
rather be able to be happy AND married? i would hope they at least tried to
go that route before they decided that there was no recourse but divorce. a
divorce is a failed marriage. how else can one look at it? it doesnt matter
who failed, the cheating husband, lazy husband, frigid wife, cheating wife,
etc).

Now of course i'm sure i will be slammed for my pedestrian view that people
marry with the idea that it will be for life. call me a crazy idealist.

personally, i divorced my first wife because she couldnt run a 6 minute
mile...unless she was in bed with one of my friends.

> Liz #658 BAAWA
>
> Get your facts first, and then you can distort them

"Richard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Liz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

> http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200308/200308_hardway_200308_1.html
> On
>> Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:54:47 -0600, "Richard" <[email protected]> in news

>> I don't consider flossing my teeth to be fun, but it is a good thing.

> Is an amputation a good thing? I know it might be necessary but would you
> call it "good"?

why you narrow minded puritan. have you ever HAD an amputation? i didnt
think so.