Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by hippy, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Yeah.. so either make sure you have good
    coffee near work the next day or tape it! ;)

    hippy

    Tags:

  2. Walrus

    Walrus New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    I stayed up for Sunday's coverage of the transition stage :)o). Tonight's will be much better, but Lance is riding last, so it'll be a late one!

  3. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Well, if they're tuff enuf to do it, I'm tuff enuf to stay up and watch . . . (snore).

    The advantage of taping it I suppose is that you can FF thru all the slugs, inadvertantly speeding them up L'Alpe, and enhance your champion's grimping and grinding.

    M "22/32, 26" wheels and all day to do it" H

  4. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Up late for this 'lil black duck.

    Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Basso can either win or lose it right here, right now

    Maybe Mayo can make up 45 minutes :)

  6. stu

    stu Guest

    > Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?

    who would have thought it would be so hard to find a real map???
    well it is, so this is the best I can do

    total ascent 1125m
    Date: 21/7/2004 Distance: 15.5km
    This Time Trial up the famous L'Alpe d'Huez (Hors Categorie) starts with a
    flat 1.7km stretch but then it's the 13.8km climb at an average grade of 7.8
    percent, with 21 switchbacks to the summit.

    makes the 1/20 look easy

  7. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I'm going to try my best to stay up for this. I'll try not to fall asleep. Hopefully the fact that Lance is riding last will keep me up.

  8. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the alpe.

    Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the top....great:rolleyes: .

    Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
    I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So was riding back down!!

  9. GDS

    GDS Guest

    >Yeah.. so either make sure you have good
    >coffee near work the next day or tape it! ;)

    I'm pulling a sickie :))

    G.

  10. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    So if the winner completes the time trial in 38 minutes and the cut-off is 33%, or about 12.5 minutes, giving a cut-off time of about 50.5min. You almost made the cut-off! That's fast all right, well done!

    Another way to look at it is to think of the required watts/kg. It's more or less proportional to speed on a steep slope. I think I would need about 50% cut-off time (at least) as an estimate on that basis...

    Ritch

  11. adam

    adam Guest

    "byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
    > fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
    > heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
    > climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
    > switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
    > switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
    > is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
    > terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
    > chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
    > alpe.
    >[snip]
    > byron27

    I saw a ITT in Grenoble in September up to the Fort de la Bastille,
    called Prix de la Bastille. This is the hill where the bubble cable cars,
    (the telegraphique I think it's called), goes.Very short maybe 3km but
    average gradient 20% with some really nasty switchback up to 28%.
    You could hardly walk up it. Seemed like a small club race but plenty
    of big names from the past holding records - Armstrong, Ulrich etc.
    A funny sight was watching all the fast french guys light up a smoke as
    soon as they'd crossed the line at the top!

    Adam

  12. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "stu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> Graident is up, up , up all the way isn't it?
    >>

    > who would have thought it would be so hard to find a real map???
    > well it is, so this is the best I can do

    I found these:

    gradient profile:
    http://www.letour.fr/2004/us/profil...F&RaceYear=2004&StageNumber=1600&Language=ANG
    TdF map overview: http://www.beyond.fr/map/mptdf2004.html
    TdF map detail (stages 15-18): http://www.beyond.fr/map/mptdf03e.html

    I couldn't find a detailed map of the actual route. From the SBS web site:

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  13. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Apparentely there is approx 1 000 000 spectators up on the L'Alpe d'Huez! :eek:

    Bikesoiler, whilst sitting on lounge, has informed me that's almost the equivalent of 10 x MCG's plonked up on the slopes of Mt Buller. Hmm, whats the actual capacity of 'G there days?

    Happy viewing. :D

  14. stu

    stu Guest

    > Hmm,
    > whats the actual capacity of 'G there days?

    its about 80000 at the minute
    but when its finished again in late 2005 will be 95000(i think)

  15. rickster

    rickster Guest

    WHibyron27 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
    > fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
    > heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
    > climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
    > switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
    > switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
    > is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
    > terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
    > chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
    > alpe.
    >
    > Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
    > top....great:rolleyes: .
    >
    > Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
    > I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
    > was riding back down!!

    Which would put you on about the same time as Matthew Wilson. Either
    you're a couldvebeen pro, a pro, a phenomenol climber or your clock
    was wrong !!

  16. rickster

    rickster Guest

    byron27 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
    > fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
    > heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
    > climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
    > switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
    > switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
    > is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
    > terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
    > chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
    > alpe.
    >
    > Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
    > top....great:rolleyes: .
    >
    > Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
    > I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
    > was riding back down!!

    Actually scrath what I just posted. I'd cancel the post but I use
    crappy Google and once posted, is gone.

    Still 51 min is very impressive, you probabably timed it from the
    bottom ? Where as the tour stage started from a bit further back ?

    Out of curisoiyt, how much time did you spend out of the saddle ?

  17. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    bring back the standing area in the outer!!!

    110k back in the 70's
    before such trifling things as political correctness and safety issues were uinvented :)

  18. jazmo

    jazmo New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    A couple of things I noticed about last night:

    1. The crowds. While I loved the atmosphere of yesterday's time trial, I think it was a tad dangerous for the riders who have so much at stake. Did you see Jan Ullrich get knocked on his hip by a spectator? There were some crazy spectators there. I basically agreed with Lance Armstrongs carefully selected words after the stage.

    2. Motorbikes and exhaust fumes. Wouldn't those motorbikes give the riders the sh|ts. I know on my commute to work while riding the Yarra Blvd when a car goes past it's slightly irritating having to suck up the fumes. Imagine having motorbike(s) or cars in front of you the whole time? Parhaps they're finely tuned and have low emissions.

  19. stu

    stu Guest

    > bring back the standing area in the outer!!!
    >
    > 110k back in the 70's
    > before such trifling things as political correctness and safety issues
    > were uinvented :)

    I thought the record was 118k

    but from the mcc web site

    >As well as a world record for the most people to ever attend a baseball

    match during the >1956 Games, the VFL/AFL Grand Final record attendance was
    an amazing 121,000 >people for the 1970 decider between Carlton and
    Collingwood.

    >Its present capacity has been reduced as works take place to demolish and

    completely >rebuild the Ponsford, members and northern stands, but once the
    redevelopment is >complete it will boast a seating capacity in excess of
    100,000.
    but I have seen other figures of 95k or things like "almost 100k", so who is
    up for helping me count them in early 2006??? ;)

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

    I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :) but only go there at half time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays