Live Tour Coverage - Tonight at 11.25pm

rickster said:
byron27 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> taken by itself its not so bad (so bad, relative, to say, getting your
> fingernails pulled out with electric pliers). The Alpe is a
> heartbreaker because it is usually the last climb of a stage, after
> climbing the galabier and the madeleine. That said, the first two
> switchbacks are nasty, nasty but its not too bad after that. The
> switchbacks are great to get a rest for a couple of secs and because it
> is back and forth up the mountain the visual impact is not so
> terrifying.I was quite surprised. I had more trouble getting up to
> chamrousse just outside of grenoble (used for the ITT in 2001) than the
> alpe.
>
> Ventoux is like that. No switchbacks and a clear view to the
> top....great:rolleyes: .
>
> Anyone have any times for their ride up the alpe?
> I did 51 minutes in 2001, and it was the best fun ive had for ages. So
> was riding back down!!

Actually scrath what I just posted. I'd cancel the post but I use
crappy Google and once posted, is gone.

Still 51 min is very impressive, you probabably timed it from the
bottom ? Where as the tour stage started from a bit further back ?

Out of curisoiyt, how much time did you spend out of the saddle ?
i timed it from the start of the climb, not from the base town where the TT started. Thats another couple of minutes right there. I think the start was 1.5km from the base of the climb. I guess i had a lot of motivation on the day, as it was the day before the tour came up the climb and it was already packed, and i mean absolutely packed, with people (and heaps of drunken dutchies on the sixth switchback) who were cheering everyone climbing and there was always someone up ahead you could aim for, and then another to aim for, etc.

Time spent out of the saddle?, all of the first 3-4 switchbacks, and the majority of the rest of the climb, though it does flatten out a little in the middle switchbacks when you go through the small town on the climb and closer to the top where you can sit down and crank it out. The switchbacks were great to sit down for a few seconds and take the pressure off your legs.

It was also the first day i had the panniers off my bike. Maybe all the strength training with an extra 30kgs on the bike was beneficial!:D

byron27 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> rickster Wrote:

[snip]to aim for, etc.

> Time spent out of the saddle?, all of the first 3-4 switchbacks, and
> the majority of the rest of the climb, though it does flatten out a
> little in the middle switchbacks when you go through the small town on
> the climb and closer to the top where you can sit down and crank it
> out. The switchbacks were great to sit down for a few seconds and take
> the pressure off your legs.
>
> It was also the first day i had the panniers off my bike. Maybe all the
> strength training with an extra 30kgs on the bike was beneficial!:D

I'm pretty enviuos, it's gotta be one of those must do before I die things...

> more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

ok you lost me here, what is this "dinkyDi"?
>I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :)

you mean a ladies ticket holder?

flyingdutch said:
more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???

I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :) but only go there at half time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays
flying, i have a membership and really i cant see the point of having it (especially seeing as i live in perth). I thought it guaranteed me a spot at the grand final but apparently it doesn't. Whats the point of having it then??

"byron27" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
> > more to the point, how much is 'dinkyDi' gonna cost???
> >
> > I am a MCC member (got 2 actually :) but only go there at half
> > time/lunch to get drinks and food as the queues are non-existant and
> > prices are lower than amongst the 'unwashed' Bays

> flying, i have a membership and really i cant see the point of having
> it (especially seeing as i live in perth). I thought it guaranteed me a
> spot at the grand final but apparently it doesn't. Whats the point of
> having it then??

that would make you an interstate member. if so, then you dont get a seat,
but you dont have to pay as much either.(of course I could be wrong)