Live tracking

Cube1959

May 23, 2013
Hi
i have entered discovery adventures LEJOG for september 2015 .. I have a Garmin 800 edge , but would like something with live tracking , so my wife and son can see where i am at any time of day .. What is the best way to go with this .. I have thought i could sell my 800 edge and buy the 810 edge .. Maybe someone has something they use .

Any advice and links would be very much appreciated ..

I am cycling for both Cancer research and Crohns and Colitis

cheers in advance

Roger

cheers Bob , just wondering about the 1000 edge .. just got to check if it does live tracking .. do i spend out or not ... Confused . com

do i really need one ..

Rog

Supposedly the less expensive 510 doe Live Tracking, as well as the 810 and the 1000 models. I have a 510 and I give it good reviews, but I have not tried to pair it to a smart phone an use the Live tracking feature.

I, too, want a 1000. Someday...maybe after a few more firmware upgrades. The maps are what I envy at this point, but I guess getting a newer phone with Google maps or such would work for my needs.

There's lots of whining on the Garmin Forum about almost every Garmin device made. I will say that other than a couple of rides that had 'some' data dropout the 510 has been reliable and a solid performer. Hopefully a 1000 user will chime in with a report on how Live Tracking works.

Frankly, I was hoping the wife would NOT be able to tail me around!

Hi m8

i'm stuck between the 810 and 1000

waiting for new stock at wiggle for the 810 at £227 .. i only need the base unit as i have heart / cadance and maps from the 800.
The 1000 is £400 before i shop around , but i hear reposts of poor battery life when using everything , so i need to find out what i need to turn off , to save power on my long days doing lejog .. Not much point having something that might shut off before i finish a day .. Both are part of my spending budget for the trip , need some new and extra kit ... Got to say i'm a lucky boy LOL .. I have heard good things about the 810 and 510 ... On forums there will always be a mix , bit like buying an Audi , ask 10 people and one will always say " Audi ! Wouldnt touch em " ...

The 1000's barometer seems to read low...from a little to a lot, depending on which climbing ace you listen to. Long, low percentage grades don't count from what they say. The 800 and 810 are both regarded as better units in the altitude department. Brian Toone is the leading climber on STRAVA in most of the competitions and he uses a 1000 simultaneously with a 500/510 and an iBike Newton. He does not use the 1000 to turn in his climbing stats, if that tells you anything...and the absolute accuracy may or may not be important to you.

But you know that every website and GPS rig all disagree by a fair amount with the next one, so no big deal? The 1000 also suffers from some pairing issues and Bluetooth data dropping. They may have that all resolved by now...none of my friends use a 1000.

The touch screen on the 510 works decently and until I put on my heaviest pair of winter gloves it is still very easy to use with full finger gloves. I, personally, would not get spendy over the touch screen feature, but I am jonesing for the maps of the higher series units.

Well i have now read ,many reviews , some good some bad , but same with the 810 and the 800 i have at the moment , The main issue is battery life , but all i need when and if the battery gets low is something like this to get me over the line .. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Compact-Lipstick-Sized-Sensation-ThunderBolt-Blackberry/dp/B005QI1A8C/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388695578&sr=1-20&keywords=power+monkey

so now just looking for the best price .

The 1000 has some great addon's from other units , I think if upgrading from an 800 then the 810 wouldn't quite be much of a step up for the extra money .. Ok off to search