Liverpool - chester - liverpool charity ride etc

CoyoteBoy

Guest
Well after a little training me and a friend entered the 54 mile liv-
chester-liv ride on our MTBs (with near-slicks). We figured we'd be
average-to-good but not up there with the top guys. Felt rather
intimidated by people at the start with multiple £ks worth of carbon
fibre bike but since we were only out to enjoy the ride, not really
race, we decided we'd just stick at a comfy pace. Well we managed it
in ~3hrs 15 including a half-hour stop for refreshments and nibblies,
which averages out at ~18.2ish mph overall - a persona best over that
sort of distance. Strangely brought out a long-hidden competitive
streak in us, theres something satisfying about overtaking someone
with a bike thats worth more then your car when you're on a 10 year
old 26" with galvanised spokes and DH rims lol, even if they arent
trying!

Anyway, we arrived in the first ~75 at the halfway stage, no idea
about the full-length results as the short routes doubled back on the
main route and everyone got intermingled but we were only overtaken a
couple of times and we overtook a fair few. Anyway, just really
pleased with the fact that we did a lot better than we thought we
would and wanted to tell people who'd know what I meant!

Two rather negative things though:

1) Why is it that the "pro" type riders with all the gear seem to
think its acceptable to eat their energy bars on the move and discard
the litter onto the road?
2) What is it that people have with blowing snot out of their nose
onto the road. A) its really really grim and B) twice i was hit with
snot while overtaking. It took everything in me not to knock the
f*ckers off and have a go at them. Its just plain disgusting.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 03:28:19 -0700, CoyoteBoy <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Anyway, just really
>pleased with the fact that we did a lot better than we thought we
>would and wanted to tell people who'd know what I meant!

Well done. Perhaps you were one of the ones who I saw go past the top
of my road........ although as I thought it was just Liverpool to
Chester, I was a bt worried that everyone was going the wrong way!

Judith

That's a brilliant average. I can only manage an 18 average for 20 miles,
never mind all those miles. Well done.

As for the litter. That's really, really ****.

As for the snot. I do that, but I'm an antisocial cyclist, so I'm never in
any danger of hitting anyone, as I always ride on my own. It is pretty
horrible, but it is also a lot better than carrying a back pocket full of
tissues.

At least snot is biodegradeable, unlike the energy bar wrappers...

On 16 Jul, 19:57, Judith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 03:28:19 -0700, CoyoteBoy <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, just really
> >pleased with the fact that we did a lot better than we thought we
> >would and wanted to tell people who'd know what I meant!

> Well done. Perhaps you were one of the ones who I saw go past the top
> of my road........ although as I thought it was just Liverpool to
> Chester, I was a bt worried that everyone was going the wrong way!
>
> Judith

:) Cheers! It started at ~8.00 and there were a couple of shorter
loops so maybe you saw the returning bunch from any one of them :)

On 16 Jul, 20:55, "jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> That's a brilliant average. I can only manage an 18 average for 20 miles,
> never mind all those miles. Well done.

:) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

> As for the litter. That's really, really ****.

Yup

> As for the snot. I do that, but I'm an antisocial cyclist, so I'm never in
> any danger of hitting anyone, as I always ride on my own. It is pretty
> horrible, but it is also a lot better than carrying a back pocket full of
> tissues.

Lol I had this argument with some others and I think we concluded that
providing it wasnt used as a projectile at other riders it is ok. I
personally never /need/ to blow my nose while riding, maybe I'm odd!

> At least snot is biodegradeable, unlike the energy bar wrappers...

True :)

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 16 Jul, 20:55, "jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > That's a brilliant average. I can only manage an 18 average for 20 miles,
> > never mind all those miles. Well done.

> :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
> quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
> were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
professional.

Or club runs can vary from about 15 to 19 mph depending upon the route
being flat - similar to the Liverpool to Chester - or a hilly ride into
North Wales. This is on ride time with the bike computer stopping the
timing when we stop. Obviously we have to ride at the speed of the
slowest in the group, so speed varies with the turnout. 18 average is
fairly brisk however and would leave quite a few of our lot puffing and
panting, if not left behind.

--
Andy Templeman <http://www.templeman.org.uk/>

On Jul 17, 12:23 pm, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:

> > :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
> > quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
> > were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

> Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
> professional.

The Tour prologue time trial was run over 7.9 km. Cancellara's winning
time was 08:50 which works out at about 33.3 mph. No-one averages 35
mph on charity rides.

--
Dave...

In news:[email protected],
dkahn400 <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On Jul 17, 12:23 pm, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:
>
>>> :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
>>> quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
>>> were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

>> Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
>> professional.

> The Tour prologue time trial was run over 7.9 km. Cancellara's winning
> time was 08:50 which works out at about 33.3 mph. No-one averages 35
> mph on charity rides.

Pish tosh! I'm sure Alan Holmes could do it :)

--
Dave Larrington
Do not top-post like a Cretinous Foul-Yob fit only for Stoning.

On 17 Jul, 12:23, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:
> CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 16 Jul, 20:55, "jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > That's a brilliant average. I can only manage an 18 average for 20 miles,
> > > never mind all those miles. Well done.

> > :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
> > quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
> > were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

> Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
> professional.
>
> Or club runs can vary from about 15 to 19 mph depending upon the route
> being flat - similar to the Liverpool to Chester - or a hilly ride into
> North Wales. This is on ride time with the bike computer stopping the
> timing when we stop. Obviously we have to ride at the speed of the
> slowest in the group, so speed varies with the turnout. 18 average is
> fairly brisk however and would leave quite a few of our lot puffing and
> panting, if not left behind.
>
> --
> Andy Templeman <http://www.templeman.org.uk/>

I might be tempted to turn up at some point then, i like not being
last! Get the feeling MTBs with slicks are somewhat frowned upon?

On 17 Jul, 12:23, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:
> CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On 16 Jul, 20:55, "jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > That's a brilliant average. I can only manage an 18 average for 20 miles,
> > > never mind all those miles. Well done.

> > :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
> > quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
> > were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

> Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
> professional.

I suppose it depends on the conditions too though, i mean with a 15mph
tail wind we can average 30 over 5 miles no problem, ask us to do it
in still air or with a hill, or for more than 5 miles and we'd keel
over and collapse!

CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 17 Jul, 12:23, [email protected] (Andrew Templeman) wrote:
> > CoyoteBoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > :) Thanks! Its hard to judge whats a decent speed, everyone seems to
> > > quote averages from 15 to 35 and our ~18 seemed pretty poor but we
> > > were passing most people out here so we were very confused!

> > Anyone who can ride at an average of 35 mph has a future as a racing
> > professional.
> >
> > Or club runs can vary from about 15 to 19 mph depending upon the route
> > being flat - similar to the Liverpool to Chester - or a hilly ride into
> > North Wales. This is on ride time with the bike computer stopping the
> > timing when we stop. Obviously we have to ride at the speed of the
> > slowest in the group, so speed varies with the turnout. 18 average is
> > fairly brisk however and would leave quite a few of our lot puffing and
> > panting, if not left behind.
> >
> > --
> > Andy Templeman <http://www.templeman.org.uk/>

> I might be tempted to turn up at some point then, i like not being
> last! Get the feeling MTBs with slicks are somewhat frowned upon?

Until it went walkabout, I used a rigid MTB diamondback with cut slicks
and mudguards as my winter bike. When trying to replace it, I couldn't
find anything w/o suspension so went for a road bike.

They may be frowned upon if it means the group is held up waiting, but
that doesn't sound like a problem for you. Another benefit of using the
same size wheels as everyone else is when you have one of those days
with loads of punctures you can borrow a tube or even a tyre from
someone else. Or, like I did, you can carry 4 spares and some patches.

--

Dave Larrington wrote:
>> The Tour prologue time trial was run over 7.9 km. Cancellara's winning
>> time was 08:50 which works out at about 33.3 mph. No-one averages 35
>> mph on charity rides.

> Pish tosh! I'm sure Alan Holmes could do it :)

No thats what i meant - the average from a 3 mile sprint and a 52 mile
charity ride will be different, not that anyone claimed 35 average over
the charity ride. Although some of the guys came in 30 mins before us
which is ~22-23mph - I reckon I could get somewhere in between if I'd
had a larger ring but riding with a maximum 44/12 combo limits my
downhill speeds a little.