LIVESTRONG Challenge, anyone??

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by sgtpepper64, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sgtpepper64

sgtpepper64 New Member

Is anybody here doing the 2008 LIVESTRONG Challenge? I'm registered for the 70 miler in Philly, first time too! :)

Tags:

2. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

no, I haven't

3. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I am registered in Philadelphia as well. Registered for the century, may go for 70 depending on condition at the time.

4. sgtpepper64

sgtpepper64 New Member

Awesome! Maybe we'll get to meet up before\after the events!
    I think I'm might be one of the youngest people doing the 70 miler. (I'm 18 now, but I'll be 19 in May so I'll be 19 by the time the Challenge comes up.)

5. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

What exactly is the livestrong challenge? Is it some sort of a fundraising event?

6. sgtpepper64

sgtpepper64 New Member

It is. For the Lance Armstrong Foundation.
    Anything you want or need to know can be found on www.livestrongchallenge.org.

7. fitadude

fitadude New Member

I am a cancer survivor and I am going to do Philly. I am laid off now so as soon as I get back to work i will be entering. I am also doing a 500 mile solo ride from the Cleveland Clinic to New Jersey To the Sarcoma Foundation of America. This will be to raise money and awareness for a deadly forgotten cancer.

Web site to follow

8. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Good on ya'. My wife is a survivor. This past Christmas my best friend died after a 10 year battle with a rare cancer, without remission.

As human lifespans increase and other diseases are cured, cancer will become a greater foe, so research, now, is the best option and the needed option. To the credit of the LAF, they have taken cancer awareness and fund raising to a new level.

9. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I turned 51 yesterday, so I will be among the older riders. I suspect there will be some older, and riding faster than I will. :)

I will also ride the Lancaster Covered Bridges Metric Century for fun the week before, along with some other riders from bikeforums.net, it would be a good warm-up ride for anyone local that wants to attend.

I rode it 2 years ago, and it was a lot of fun (even though a mild case of heat exhaustion knocked me out at the half way point).