Living a lie.

Marx SS

New Member
Jun 8, 2004
Since my recent 2x massive offs from my commuter MTB caused by the occasional failing chain tensioner ( it runs vertical dropouts & a regular cassette freewheel with a SS convert utilising a DMR chain tensioner), I’ve swallowed the bitter pill of resignation & threw on again the cassette & 7spd shifter.

This means I no longer have the option of a single spd bike in the shed & would like to change my User Name & drop the ‘SS’ of it.
Hunting about this forum site I haven’t found what I’m looking for & was wondering if anyone here knows what I can do to change my user name.

I can always return as another user, but that would take some work setting myself up again.

Any help would be appreciated

Marx SS said:
I can always return as another user, but that would take some work setting myself up again.

Any help would be appreciated

Contact Steve, the Cycling Forums God, um, er administrator, email: stevenATcyclingforumsDOTcom

Betrayed.....when someone leaves the wonderful world of SS, I feel betrayed. Its like putting a freewheel on a track bike. How tall are you, I will find you a SS MTB frame.......i know people who know people.

Your not the only one:

BikeSoiler would never do such a thing.
Essendon93 is not 93 years old.
Bleve is only 70% liquid and unlikely to explode
Dutchy can't really fly either...

Crusading for truth in forum handles.....

PiledHigher

PiledHigher said:
Your not the only one:

BikeSoiler would never do such a thing.
Essendon93 is not 93 years old.
Bleve is only 70% liquid and unlikely to explode
Dutchy can't really fly either...

Crusading for truth in forum handles.....

We've been known to ride SS, BMX's, Recumbents, Townies and the occasional frame wrapped in furry fabric. Oh, and a road bike.

Rhino, fear not. My SS freewheel spacer kit resides safely in the parts drawer.
I've already chewed Bikesoiler's ear on modding a budget MTB frame with 'track ends' & there's also my dad's Malvern Star ('56 3 star) road bike with track ends at a loose end.

But I don’t want to say more about single spds until I can post photos of some new sweet rigs.

PS: I'm 5'9" & ride 17inch MTB frames /mediums.

PiledHigher wrote:

> Bleve is only 70% liquid and unlikely to explode

You sure? :)

PiledHigher said:
Dutchy can't really fly either...

Crusading for truth in forum handles.....

PiledHigher

I SOOOOOOO can!!!!!!!

Flying"Crusading for pig's rights"Dutch

PiledHigher said:
Your not the only one:

BikeSoiler would never do such a thing.
Essendon93 is not 93 years old.
Bleve is only 70% liquid and unlikely to explode
Dutchy can't really fly either...

Crusading for truth in forum handles.....

PiledHigher
And of course, you meant to say that I'm not shabby either.......

Shabby wrote:
> PiledHigher Wrote:
> > Your not the only one:
> >
> > BikeSoiler would never do such a thing.
> > Essendon93 is not 93 years old.
> > Bleve is only 70% liquid and unlikely to explode
> > Dutchy can't really fly either...
> >
> > Crusading for truth in forum handles.....
> >
> > PiledHigher

> And of course, you meant to say that I'm not shabby either.......

Scabby?

Trackies .. skin .. scabs .. makes sense now!

Arh!
Here I am, I go back a to cassette/derailuer on the rear & I can’t get it tuned up properly, and with new cables & all! I’ve using my previous 7 speed Shimano rapid fire on a Deore derailuer, new chain, new 7speed road cassette on a 9 speed freewheel. It sits sweet in the middle 2x cassette cogs, but if I go up or down from there & it chops & changes when you least expect it. Worse with bumps thrown in.

Enough!
Rolhoff chain tensioners cost a bomb, but here’s one now sitting on my Apollo.

40/16

Back to the future...

DCP_2628.JPG

DCP_2627.JPG

Marx SS said:
Rhino, fear not. My SS freewheel spacer kit resides safely in the parts drawer.
I've already chewed Bikesoiler's ear on modding a budget MTB frame with 'track ends' & there's also my dad's Malvern Star ('56 3 star) road bike with track ends at a loose end.

But I don’t want to say more about single spds until I can post photos of some new sweet rigs.

PS: I'm 5'9" & ride 17inch MTB frames /mediums.

I can't talk because the only SS I have is locked in hippy's secret bunker of bikey bits back in convict country, but, I'm sure I posted details about frame modding (with prices) when I was doing Vegemite.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/aus.bicycle/browse_thread/thread/16e540551abfe920/39a3401fae9db19b?lnk=st&q=drop+outs+group%3Aaus.bicycle+hippy&rnum=4&hl=en#39a3401fae9db19b

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&q=drop+outs+group%3Aaus.bicycle+hippy

hth
hippy

Marx SS said:
Arh!
Here I am, I go back a to cassette/derailuer on the rear & I can’t get it tuned up properly, and with new cables & all! I’ve using my previous 7 speed Shimano rapid fire on a Deore derailuer, new chain, new 7speed road cassette on a 9 speed freewheel. It sits sweet in the middle 2x cassette cogs, but if I go up or down from there & it chops & changes when you least expect it. Worse with bumps thrown in.

Enough!
Rolhoff chain tensioners cost a bomb, but here’s one now sitting on my Apollo.

Dude, never had trouble with mine once I put on the Acera-X "POS" derailler. Lovely for adding tension to a situation! :)

hippy

maybe it was worn jockey wheels. I dunno, it's not a problem anymore. Might have a garage sale of bike parts so I can swing that cat around in my shed again.

Would like track ends though. could run a sweet coaster brake that way...

Marx SS said:
maybe it was worn jockey wheels. I dunno, it's not a problem anymore. Might have a garage sale of bike parts so I can swing that cat around in my shed again.

Would like track ends though. could run a sweet coaster brake that way...

We've can lend you a black cat to swing around. Just got to catch first. Let us know when the garage sale is planned... we'll come around *real* early.. :D

> Marx SS Wrote:
>> Arh!
>> Here I am, I go back a to cassette/derailuer on the rear & I can’t get
>> it tuned up properly, and with new cables & all! I’ve using my previous
>> 7 speed Shimano rapid fire on a Deore derailuer, new chain, new 7speed
>> road cassette on a 9 speed freewheel. It sits sweet in the middle 2x
>> cassette cogs, but if I go up or down from there & it chops & changes
>> when you least expect it. Worse with bumps thrown in.
>>
>> ENOUGH!
>> Rolhoff chain tensioners cost a bomb, but here’s one now sitting on my
>> Apollo.
>>

> Dude, never had trouble with mine once I put on the Acera-X "POS"
> derailler. Lovely for adding tension to a situation! :)
>
> hippy

One cog at each end shouldn't need a tensioner anyway. Use a frame with
horizontal dropouts or an eccentric BB and go. It's amazing how much
smoother it can feel when you lose the jockey wheels.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:29:55 +1100, Resound wrote:

> One cog at each end shouldn't need a tensioner anyway. Use a frame with
> horizontal dropouts or an eccentric BB and go.

Both of those options require spending money (or getting a lucky find in
the council clean up). I have a box full of broken derailleurs, so my
cheap **** SS has a tensioner. That's now working again, after costing me
a round of the dirt crits on the last lap. Fahn.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
Against boredom, the Gods themselves struggle in vain.