    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/219427_condor11.html

    Living Well: Daylight Diet yields remarkable results in pounds and energy
    Monday, April 11, 2005

    By BOB CONDOR
    SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

    During his three months on the Daylight Diet plan, Patrick D'Amelio noticed
    some distinct patterns. For one thing, he discovered drinking water often
    satisfied what he previously considered a hunger craving.

    Similar to the other five P-I readers on the program developed by Mercer
    Island nutritionist Susan M. Kleiner, D'Amelio found he handled stress
    better and didn't feel deprived. His energy level zoomed.

    One more pattern for D'Amelio: Just about when he had lost the first 20 of
    35 pounds overall, D'Amelio started receiving compliments and remarks. The
    kudos keep on coming. In fact, D'Amelio created a buzz of sorts among
    Kleiner and P-I staffers, who weren't sure he was same person we
    photographed in early January.

    But there is more to the pattern. It bottom-lines what the Daylight Diet is
    intended to do.

    "People at work, family and friends, they have all noticed the weight
    loss," said D'Amelio, who is chief executive officer for Big Brothers/Big
    Sisters of Seattle and Tacoma. "But they also noticed I just look better --
    more rested and healthier."

    For her part, Kleiner is most pleased about the boosted energy level of the
    six readers who lost 73 total pounds since January. The group is more than
    halfway to long-term weight-loss goals adding up to 130 pounds --
    impressive results in just three months.

    "The most exciting thing to me is the change in outlooks," said Kleiner,
    who operates the www.powereating.com Web site. "At our first group meeting,
    a lot of the discussion was about weight. After a week on the plan, people
    were talking about how good they felt."

    Then as the weeks unfolded Kleiner would report increased energy levels and
    "oh, by the way, I've lost weight."

    Paula Burke didn't even get on a scale from early January until Easter,
    when she stepped on one in her mother's guest bathroom. Bling, she lost 10
    pounds, something she guessed because her clothing size was down a size or
    two and she was fitting into "my skinny jeans" again.

    Like others on the plan (myself included), Burke said she made adjustments
    to Kleiner's plan of eating, say, a half-cup of oatmeal as part of
    breakfast or three ounces of turkey at lunch. She was measuring a lot in
    the early weeks.

    "Now I have two bowls for cereal or grains," said Burke. "I know how much
    is the right amount from experience. I found myself eating a lot of the
    foods I would normally eat, but in different amounts. It's all about
    proportions."

    As the group finished up its exit meeting, Kleiner held everyone's
    attention with one last explanation about how food affects the brain and,
    importantly, vice versa.

    "We know the slogan, 'there's always room for Jell-O,' " said Kleiner. "How
    is it no matter how full we might be, we can always eat dessert if it's put
    in front of us?"

    Everyone, nodding, was glad to hear the answer. Kleiner explained that our
    brains "crave variety" and dessert provides a sweet, intense flavor that
    otherwise might not be part of the meal. Her meals and snacks typically
    include a serving of fruit, such as a sectioned orange at dinner or a
    quarter-cup of dried cherries for a midafternoon pick-me-up (with a handful
    of almonds and a small can of vegetable juice, plus low-fat mozzarella
    string cheese if you are physically active).

    "There's always room for variety," said Kleiner. "When you are out with
    friends, you don't have to spoil a moment of fun by skipping dessert. Just
    ask for one dessert and three forks. What your brain craves is just a few
    bites."

    During one midplan interview Burke admitted to "whistling a lot" more. She
    said a February project with challenging deadlines didn't stress her out
    compared to a more anxious, pre-Daylight but similar project last
    September.

    Felicity Mansanarez lost her job because of layoffs right before the
    Daylight program started. She has worked many double shifts as a freelance
    nurse during the past 12 weeks, but said the eating plan has improved her
    ability to deal with stress, including a divorce of her decadelong
    marriage.

    "I plan to continue with the plan, no doubt," said Mansanarez, who turned
    31 in February. "The biggest benefit of the diet is energy."

    She said the Daylight plan featuring lean proteins, high-fiber
    carbohydrates and healthy fats has afforded her with more stamina for
    workouts. She has exercised more and recovered more readily from intense
    kickboxing sessions.

    Mansanarez entered into the program hoping to lose 20 pounds in the long
    run. She dropped 7 and "with the increase in my muscle mass (from workouts)
    I'm realizing that my weight loss goal is a bit too much."

    Benito Cervantes echoed each group member's energy boost.

    "The real lesson is how well I felt after the first few weeks," he said. "I
    did not wake up any more in the middle of the night wanting to drink water
    or feeling like I needed something to snack on. My clothes fit better
    almost right away. When I got off the plan for a day or two I really felt
    it."

    Cervantes hopes to lose more weight (he dropped 8 pounds) and anticipates
    the Daylight plan will better fuel his planned exercise program in the
    weeks ahead. He is more engaged with his three sons about what the single
    father can serve them that is both tasty and healthful.

    "Our meals included lots of (unhealthy) fats and white flour," he said. "My
    meals changed dramatically. My kids' meals are going slower but there are
    more discussions about the right foods."

    Sharon Hamilton and her husband adopted a second toddler, traveling to
    Azerbaijan to connect with their son during the three-month time frame. She
    lost 4 pounds in the month before leaving on the trip -- and reshaped her
    body enough that her husband remarked on it -- then kept the weight off
    despite logistic obstacles and the expected emotions of welcoming a new
    child into a family.

    "Without the diet, I'm certain I would have gained more weight," said
    Hamilton, who lives in Bellevue. "In the past I've found getting eight
    hours of sleep is crucial for losing weight. For the present, I have to
    stay up late after the kids are fed and put to bed before I can do
    housework and anything else."

    Daylight participant Jennifer Lail faced the stress of looking for a new
    job with an evenness she didn't know was possible before the plan. As a
    Bainbridge commuter, she routinely returned on the evening ferry
    "absolutely starved and grumpy." These days she packs Daylight snacks
    including dried fruit, nuts, an apple and vegetable juice.

    Other stressbusters for Lail: She slept more soundly, right from the start,
    finding more time to awaken for early-day workouts. She didn't miss the
    white table sugar added to processed foods, buying more fresh produce and
    wasting less food.

    Even better than handling stress and "combating depression," the Daylight
    plan helped Lail to lay down a lifelong burden.

    "I'm 35 and always been pretty healthy and active," said Lail. "But most of
    my life I have been plagued by body image (hangups). Now I never think
    about it. In three months it has just flipped."

    DAYLIGHT DIETERS UPDATE
    Patrick D’Amelio
    Age: 39
    Height: 6 foot
    Weight: 216 (down 35, 25 to go)
    Quote: “I realized a lot of what I thought was hunger was really thirst.”
    Surprise: Ate when hungry, never felt deprived.

    Paula Burke
    Age: 35
    Height: 5-foot-3
    Weight: 130 (down 10, 1 1/2 sizes, back into “skinny” pants)
    Quote: “I feel like I handle stress better.”
    Surprise: Even if you eat something not “on plan”, you still need all the
    day’s foods on plan.

    Felicity Mansanarez
    Age: 31
    Height: 5’ 9”
    Weight: 158 pounds (down 7)
    Quote: “The hardest part is eating out and limiting the alcohol to two
    glasses of red wine per week.”
    Surprise: Clothes fit better, maybe don’t need to lose the full goal of 20
    pounds.

    Sharon Hamilton
    Age: 48
    Height: 5-foot-4
    Weight: 139 pounds (down 3)
    Lesson: Adopting a toddler son made it more difficult to follow workout and
    eating plans, but she never wavered from breakfast.
    Surprise: Her favorite spread for her English muffin is ricotta cheese,
    juice-sweetened cherry jam and ground flax seed.

    Benito Cervantes
    Age: 50
    Height: 5-foot-6
    Weight: 164 (down 8)
    Quote: “When I got off the plan for a day or two it really felt like it.”
    Surprise: Drinking coffee in the morning no longer upsets stomach.

    Jennifer Lail
    Age: 35
    Height 5-foot-4
    Weight 150 (down 10 pounds and one clothing size)
    Quote: "I used to feel absolutely starved and grumpy when I got on the
    evening ferry. Now I can wait for dinner."
    Surprise: Dramatic energy boost in five days on Daylight plan

    DAYLIGHT DIET DETAILS
    For more about the Daylight Diet and the people taking part in it, see:

    seattlepi.com/health/207016_condor10.html

    seattlepi.com/health/197419_condor01.html

    seattlepi.com/health/210790_condor07.html

    -----

    Tags:

  2. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
    > http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/health/219427_condor11.html
    >
    > Living Well: Daylight Diet yields remarkable results in pounds and energy
    > Monday, April 11, 2005
    >
    > By BOB CONDOR
    > SPECIAL TO THE POST-INTELLIGENCER

    > She said the Daylight plan featuring lean proteins, high-fiber
    > carbohydrates and healthy fats has afforded her with more stamina for
    > workouts. She has exercised more and recovered more readily from intense
    > kickboxing sessions.

    Very nice long free advertisement for buying books on "Power Eating".

    You won't find many hints about the basis of the diet on the web site...
    unlike Atkins or some of the others.

    So, you buy the book to find out more .....

    Nice long free advertisement.

  3. Having been on a similar diet during the running season for the last
    several years I have to admit that it is actually pretty effective in
    terms of recovery time and muscle gain. ... just adding my 2 cents...