Lloyd Track Frame

Amadeusz Pucek

Guest
Hello everyone!
I've just bought (was very cheap) an LLOYD (looks like track) frame.
I want to make my first fixed gear on it. It's bit rusty in some
places but I hope to make it shine ;)

I have seen this only on pictures and I'll have it in few days in my
hands.
Maby you'll know what kind of suport will fit? This one is totaly
rusty.

Here are pictures:

http://www.allegro.pl/item293350861_rama_meska_lloyd_na_kola_28_cali....

What do you think about making fixie on it?

Amadeusz

Amadeusz Pucek wrote:

> I've just bought (was very cheap) an LLOYD (looks like track) frame.
> I want to make my first fixed gear on it. It's bit rusty in some
> places but I hope to make it shine ;)

What do you think about making fixie on it?
> Proper link is:http://www.allegro.pl/item293350861_rama_meska_lloyd_na_kola_28_cali....

I think a fixie built in that frame could sell on Craigslist NYC for a
huge pile of zlotys. Rust and all.

Chalo

On Jan 12, 7:00 pm, Amadeusz Pucek <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
> I've just bought (was very cheap) an LLOYD (looks like track) frame.
> I want to make my first fixed gear on it. It's bit rusty in some
> places but I hope to make it shine ;)
>
> I have seen this only on pictures and I'll have it in few days in my
> hands.
> Maby you'll know what kind of suport will fit? This one is totaly
> rusty.
>
> Here are pictures:
>
> http://www.allegro.pl/item293350861_rama_meska_lloyd_na_kola_28_cali....
>
> What do you think about making fixie on it?
>
> Amadeusz

Maybe you can post photos of it here when its finished:-
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/

Lewis.

*****

Sure I will :)
What do you think about front fork? Shouldn't be more... straight?

All because few days ago I had not very nice accident with car, so my
road bike is totally demaged.
I decided to make some fixie. This frame costed something about 29
USD, 15 GBP, 20 EUR (zloty - PLN, may not be good currency :) )

(I put fotos on my Gmail, cause they'll disapear soon from that
auction. http://picasaweb.google.com/amadeusz.pucek/LLOYD )

Amadeusz Pucek wrote:

> What do you think about front fork? Shouldn't be more... straight?
>
> (I put fotos on my Gmail, cause they'll disapear soon from that
> auction.http://picasaweb.google.com/amadeusz.pucek/LLOYD)

The front fork offset and the angles of the frame go together. _Do
not_ put a straighter fork on it just to make it superficially more
like a modern track bike. It is not a modern track bike, and it will
never be one. The fork is a well considered match for the frame's
relaxed geometry, and it is a beautiful thing to have on your bike.
Enjoy it for what it is.

You'll get extra style points for using period-appropriate parts on
it, like good quality steel cranks and 32/40 spoke wheels with high
flange hubs.

Chalo

Have any idea what kind of suport will fit? English, French, Italian?

I'm thinking on this crank: http://www.allegro.pl/item294123574__okazja_korby_szosowe_shimano_105_.html
Little bit used, and this seadle: http://www.allegro.pl/item292576947_siodlo_skora_do_wyscigowki.html
What do you think? Wait for something more appropriate? I can't find
any photo of original LLOYD like this one, to compare parts, and to
know what to look for. Have any?

I've still got high flange hub from my road bike (front wheel) and I
think I'll buy MICHE to back one http://www.gromada.waw.pl/zdjecia/miche.jpg

Amadeusz Pucek wrote:
> Have any idea what kind of suport will fit? English, French, Italian?
>
> I'm thinking on this crank: http://www.allegro.pl/item294123574__okazja_korby_szosowe_shimano_105_.html
> Little bit used, and this seadle: http://www.allegro.pl/item292576947_siodlo_skora_do_wyscigowki.html
> What do you think? Wait for something more appropriate? I can't find
> any photo of original LLOYD like this one, to compare parts, and to
> know what to look for. Have any?

This frame is either very old, or was old-style when built. I would
guess 1920s or so. So, you either build it up totally in the period, or
you build it to be usable. I tend to prefer the latter. This saddle
would be very, very painful to ride for any distance. Is that what you
want? OTOH the cranks are road cranks, not needed here and certainly
not appropriate to build up the thing as a period piece.

--

David L. Johnson

Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of business.

On Jan 12, 9:48 pm, "David L. Johnson" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Amadeusz Pucek wrote:
> > Have any idea what kind of suport will fit? English, French, Italian?

> > I'm thinking on this crank:http://www.allegro.pl/item294123574__okazja_korby_szosowe_shimano_105...
> > Little bit used, and this seadle:http://www.allegro.pl/item292576947_siodlo_skora_do_wyscigowki.html
> > What do you think? Wait for something more appropriate? I can't find
> > any photo of original LLOYD like this one, to compare parts, and to
> > know what to look for. Have any?

> This frame is either very old, or was old-style when built. I would
> guess 1920s or so. So, you either build it up totally in the period, or
> you build it to be usable. I tend to prefer the latter.

Agreed. It's not like bolting things on here or there are permanent
changes. I'd definitely try to go with some easy style points like
high flange hubs and non-aero rims. For a crank, a even a modern
Sugino square taper would be fine looking, though I agree with Chalo
that a cool steel crank would make the bike. The Shimano crank, not so
much, but if it's cheap, why not.

Don't forget to add a front brake, as the fork is drilled for it. A
traditional centerpull like a a Mafac or even a Dia-Compe would look
great, but a curvy old sidepull would likely be cleaner looking and
more practical.

David L. Johnson wrote:

> Amadeusz Pucek wrote:
> >
> > I'm thinking on this crank:http://www.allegro.pl/item294123574__okazja_korby_szosowe_shimano_105...
> > Little bit used, and this seadle:http://www.allegro.pl/item292576947_siodlo_skora_do_wyscigowki.html

> This frame is either very old, or was old-style when built. I would
> guess 1920s or so. So, you either build it up totally in the period, or
> you build it to be usable. I tend to prefer the latter. This saddle
> would be very, very painful to ride for any distance.

Are you looking at the same old leather saddle I am? If the top is in
decent enough condition to remain pliable without cracking, that
should be more comfortable than just about any plastic abomination
that passes for a sporting bike saddle these days.

Chalo

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:00:22 -0800 (PST), Amadeusz Pucek
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>I've just bought (was very cheap) an LLOYD (looks like track) frame.
>I want to make my first fixed gear on it. It's bit rusty in some
>places but I hope to make it shine ;)

People who go nuts over pond dredged Schwins use WD-40 and aluminium
foil to level the rust, remove the oxidised paint and leave the
decals intact before waxing with a hard wax.

>I have seen this only on pictures and I'll have it in few days in my
>hands.
>Maby you'll know what kind of suport will fit? This one is totaly
>rusty.
>
>Here are pictures:
>
>http://www.allegro.pl/item293350861_rama_meska_lloyd_na_kola_28_cali....
>
>What do you think about making fixie on it?

It's drilled for a front brake. Incorporate the hole into your plans.

The saddle photos you linked in another message looks like a women's
saddle with the short nose and broad back. It also looks like the
tension nut has been maxed out. It's unlikely to hold its shape for
long unless punched and laced at this point.
--
zk

Thank's for your advices and tips. I don't really know how to get rust
off from frame. Know WD-40, but what about this aluminium foil?

Do you mean that kind of cranks?
http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Pete-Rutledge-bikes/album18/My_63_Frejus_5.jpg.html
http://www.wooljersey.com/gallery/v/Pete-Rutledge-bikes/album18/P4204893.jpg.html

With more 'angular' shape? Works for me...
Is this a track frame? Cause the front fork is drealed for breaks...
It's even better for me, but I just whant to know something more
about that frame. So it's not Dave Lloyd frame? His making frames
since 1970 or something.

What I want is to have nice looking bike, but for every day riding
through Warsaw :)

Sorry for putting term: 'suport'. I didn't know it's not english
word :p
Do you think that nowdays parts will fit? I mean bottom bracket
('suport'), quill stem...
In Poland it's VERY hard to find some good condition vintige parts.
It's easily in US or UK.
If I couldn't find enything looking good and working I'll sell it with
price I bought it + dispatch.
So, be in touch :)

Amadeusz Pucek wrote:

> Do you think that nowdays parts will fit? I mean bottom bracket
> ('suport'), quill stem...

If the frame is English made, there is a good chance a modern bottom
bracket and some kind of modern stem will fit. The seatpost could be
an odd size, but most diameters that were ever made can still be found
as new parts.

With those three parts out of the way, everything else should be
straightforward. The axle slots in the fork may be 5/16" (8mm), in
which case you would have to file flats on a 9mm or 9.5mm front axle
to allow it to fit. Don't modify the fork if you can help it.

Chalo