Loaded Touring on Stratus.... Panniers or Trailer?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    I am planning a week long loaded tour with friends in August in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I
    have been commuting for several years with a rear rack and small, inexpensive panniers from
    Performance. I have been considering new panniers and front or mid rack. Since the investment will
    be close to that of a new trailer, ie BOB, should I rethink this purchase? Any thoughts here would
    great. Thanks.

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. Hi Jim, I would go with the midship panniers. The bike will handle much better. Of course you won't
    be able to handle as much weight as you would with a trailer, but I don't consider that a bad thing.
    Let me know when your coming up this way. Maybe we can get a day together Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent
    but not broken"

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am planning a week long loaded tour with friends in August in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I
    > have been commuting for several years with a rear rack and small, inexpensive panniers from
    > Performance. I have been considering new panniers and front or mid rack. Since the investment will
    > be close to that of a new trailer, ie BOB, should I rethink this purchase? Any thoughts here would
    > great. Thanks.
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > I am planning a week long loaded tour with friends in August in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I
    > have been commuting for several years with a rear rack and small, inexpensive panniers from
    > Performance. I have been considering new panniers and front or mid rack. Since the investment will
    > be close to that of a new trailer, ie BOB, should I rethink this purchase? Any thoughts here would
    > great. Thanks.
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Having made several tours on a Stratus, I would recommend going the pannier route over the trailer.
    I have not used a trailer, but everyone that I know that has a trailer on a recumbent, recommends
    them only for short trips to the store.

    I think a trailer would slow you down on those long climbs from the Finger Lakes up to the plateau
    between the lakes. If your touring friends are not 'bent, you will be the caboose of the train
    climbing out of the lakes and leading the pack on those descents to the next lake. On a DF about 15
    years ago, I hit speeds of 50 mph when I toured the finger lakes. Most Descents that I remember
    involved a sharp turn and stop at the bottom. I would not want to negotiated that kind of rapid stop
    with a trailer (BTW, do trailers have their own brakes?)

    Arkel is selling Recumbent Panniers. You might want to consider these over the next best thing
    - Ortliebs.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. Steve Fox

    Steve Fox Guest

    Stratrider,

    I tried to write you privately, but your ISP rejected your address as given here. Since I was
    offering the address of someone with pannier experience on a Stratus, I thought you might be
    interested. My address works, so if you are interested, give me a heads up.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://Steve2004.crazyguyonabike.com

    O \ _____,%) (*)-'------------(*)

  5. Trailgalore

    Trailgalore Guest

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am planning a week long loaded tour with friends in August in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I
    > have been commuting for several years with a rear rack and small, inexpensive panniers from
    > Performance. I have been considering new panniers and front or mid rack. Since the investment will
    > be close to that of a new trailer, ie BOB, should I rethink this purchase?

    Think about: A BOB trailer weights 12 lbs. Used $180 Rear Rack about 570 grams $43 Front Rack 480
    grams $38 Rear Panniers 4 lbs 10 oz $195 Front Panniers 2 lbs 15 oz $12 Plus two mid Panniers 'n
    Rack, more weight, more money! Weight penalty compared is a lot less than 12 lbs. The Bob will
    probably carry more, which may or may not be an advantage. Another consideration is that while the
    Bob tracks well when riding, it is unwieldy in tight quarters. I like panniers less than I like a
    BOB. Also, since your going to the Finger Lakes region, know about
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/STP/nyevent.htm ?

  6. Cletus Lee asked:

    > do trailers have their own brakes?

    I've seen two bike-trailers with "surge" brakes (which are self-actuating) over the years, one in
    Nevada and one in California. I'm under the impression that the braking mechanisms were home-made,
    but I don't clearly remember, sorry.

    ++ Cornel Ormsby ++ +Henderson, Nevada+

  7. > Cletus suggested:

    > Arkel is selling Recumbent Panniers. You might want to consider these over the next best thing -
    > Ortliebs.

    For under-seat racks, I would suggest looking at Jandd's Commuter Panniers (www.jandd.com). These
    are sold individually, and come in Left and Right. Very well made, IMO.

    I've have these on my BikeE RX for a couple years now and have been very happy with them, but I had
    to relocate the J-hooks and tensioning hook upwards about 3/4 inch to get them to fit under my seat
    (easy to do, just need a small adjustable wrench and a drill).

    Note that Jannd panniers are water resistant but NOT waterproof. You can get rain covers for them,
    but living in Nevada, I didn't bother...

    Pamela

  8. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Hey Denny.... I am leaning toward the midship rack at the momement.... I am hoping to make it up to
    the rally in State College in May.... Are you planning on going?

    Jim

  9. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

  10. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Good info! Thanks much! Cletus, have you tried the RANS front wheel rack with panniers?

    Jim

  11. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Good info! Thanks much! Cletus, have you tried the RANS front wheel rack with panniers?

    I know of no example of anyone that owns and has used a front rack on a RANS Stratus. I decided that
    that front rack would not work. First you can not use it with a Zzipper fairing. Second, Panniers
    mounted on a front rack create interference problems with the pedals

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  12. Jim, yes I am. If the weather is good I'm planning on riding down from
    somewhere in the Northern tier, that is if I can get a driver to come down
    and pick me up :)
    Looking forward to seeing you there
    Denny
    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Denny.... I am leaning toward the midship rack at the momement.... I am hoping to make it up
    > to the rally in State College in May.... Are you planning on going?
    >
    > Jim

  13. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    > I know of no example of anyone that owns and has used a front rack on a RANS Stratus. I decided
    > that that front rack would not work. First you can not use it with a Zzipper fairing. Second,
    > Panniers mounted on a front rack create interference problems with the pedals

    Cletus, you expressed all of my concerns. I have a Zzipper fairing. Clearly front racks and fairings
    are incompatible. And pedal interference seems obvious! Thanks again.

    Jim

  14. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I've used a trailer and/or panniers on my Vision for long distance touring. I prefer the trailer. My
    wife has a Stratus and I tried riding it pulling a trailer. I found the slight movement of the
    trailer affected the steering. I could feel the movement through the handlebars. I wouldn't
    recommend a trailer for the Stratus.

    Jeff