LOADS of help needed for 1st time buyer (UK)

budo*85

Jun 2, 2005
Hi all!

Right(...) I'm planing on purchasing a new bike and I have not got a clue where to start :confused:
Basically I need a bike that will be used to go back and forth from work and home (roughly 6 miles each way) on the road.
My budget is around £300 (not much i know, but I'm a uni student :cool:) and from what I've been told, is that it would be better to get a decent 2nd hand bike than a some-what rubbish new one. I want a bike that won't really needed to replaced for many years to come.

Where do I start...??? frame size, company, type of bike etc....

I'm 5'8" if that helps....

Any help is much appreciated,

hi,

have you spoken to the people at your local bike shop about what you want? they're a good bet as they may have budget bikes, + might know someone who's selling a 2nd hand bike. also, they can make sure you get the right size etc.

alternatively, check out a bike mag for 2nd hand bikes. not sure if you're in the uk, but cycling weekly has a section. also, try online shops such as evanscycles.com, who have a sale on.

good luck!!

Thanks for the reply mate....

It's been a while since I posted (a week odd) I've just about secured a deal with a guy on another forum as he advertised in the classified section.

Giant TCR with:
Shimano 105 groupset
mavic cxp22 wheelset.
brand new ritchey seatpost
bontrager race lite saddle
In immaculate condition, and have no damage at all (you would be hard pressed to tell them from new)

for asking price £475, I'll try and negotiate with him and hopefully get it for around £400.