Lobster Chunks

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Fred, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these things
    lack that entirely.

    While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
    by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
    with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
    garlic mashed potatoes.

    Recommendation - PASS.

    Tags:

  2. Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
    opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
    walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
    latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
    in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
    love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was too
    strong for my palate.

    (I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were done
    till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put vanilla in
    her homemade ice cream because she thought it too strong.)

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    >very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    >prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    >things lack that entirely.
    >
    >While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    >would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
    >by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
    >with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
    >garlic mashed potatoes.
    >
    >Recommendation - PASS.

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  3. interesting, I really do like it steamed, we eat it with snow peas and
    noodles, snow peas also steamed, Lee
    Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    > very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    > prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    > things lack that entirely.
    >
    > While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    > would not invest in them again. They are easily
    > overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    > any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    > potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    >
    > Recommendation - PASS.

  4. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    Thanks for the review.

    Julie "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    > very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    > prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    > things lack that entirely.
    >
    > While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    > would not invest in them again. They are easily
    > overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    > any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    > potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    >
    > Recommendation - PASS.

  5. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I think I'll just take your word for it and PASS. I'm not a
    huge lobster fan, can take it or leave it. Now had it been
    crab, I probably would have had to form my own opinion. <G>

    Joyce

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    >very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    >prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    >things lack that entirely.
    >
    >While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    >would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
    >by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
    >with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
    >garlic mashed potatoes.
    >
    >Recommendation - PASS.

  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
    >opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
    >walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
    >latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
    >in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
    >love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was
    >too strong for my palate.

    Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
    like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.

    >(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
    >done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
    >vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
    >too strong.)

    My only reaction was "oh, my god!"

    Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still can't
    stomach the canned items.

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    >>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    >>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    >>things lack that entirely.
    >>
    >>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    >>would not invest in them again. They are easily
    >>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    >>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    >>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    >>
    >>Recommendation - PASS.
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  7. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Mmmmmmmmmm, crappie! I haven't had that since my youth. We
    had a cottage in the Ozarks, would fish off the dock in
    our backyard and haul in the crappie's ... now that is
    good eatin'! I'm much like you, prefer the milder fish. I
    also didn't like salmon, snapper and a few others until
    this past year. But I much prefer tilapia, orange roughie,
    cod, etc. <G>

    Ewwwww, I still can't eat canned peas - they just taste like
    mush to me. We currently have about a dozen cans in the
    basement, hub asked how we got so many. I had to gently
    remind him that he purchased every dang one of them, I won't
    touch 'em with a 10' pole. <G>

    joyce

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
    >opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
    >walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
    >latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
    >in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
    >love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was
    >too strong for my palate.
    >
    >(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
    >done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
    >vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
    >too strong.)
    >
    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    >>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    >>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    >>things lack that entirely.
    >>
    >>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    >>would not invest in them again. They are easily
    >>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    >>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    >>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    >>
    >>Recommendation - PASS.
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  8. I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
    all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
    exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
    octopus, squid.

    While bland fish appeals to me, flavorless ice cream
    definitely puts me off. The more flavor the better. One of
    these days I want to try pepper ice cream. Probably make my
    grandma turn over!

    I can still stomach gray vegetables, although at that point
    they can hardly be considered a vegetable. That green bean
    casserole made from opening 6 cans of stuff? That is my
    ultimate comfort food.

    Well, with these shocking revelations, I'm sure I've
    stripped away all the mystery of knowing me. The rest is
    just drama. <G>

    I wonder how many points in properly prepared smelt. Lite
    beer probably wouldn't make much difference. You have to eat
    at least a dozen to feel you've eaten anything.

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:34:38 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the
    >>exact opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--
    >>trout, walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt.
    >>The latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're
    >>fried in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me.
    >>Now I love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese
    >>was too strong for my palate.
    >
    >Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
    >like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.
    >
    >>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
    >>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
    >>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
    >>too strong.)
    >
    >My only reaction was "oh, my god!"
    >
    >Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still
    >can't stomach the canned items.
    >
    >>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    >>>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    >>>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    >>>things lack that entirely.
    >>>
    >>>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    >>>would not invest in them again. They are easily
    >>>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    >>>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    >>>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    >>>
    >>>Recommendation - PASS.
    >>
    >>Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:13:38 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
    >all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
    >exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
    >octopus, squid.

    GGGGGGG. Lobster - drool.........

    >While bland fish appeals to me, flavorless ice cream
    >definitely puts me off. The more flavor the better. One of
    >these days I want to try pepper ice cream. Probably make my
    >grandma turn over!

    Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)

    >I can still stomach gray vegetables, although at that point
    >they can hardly be considered a vegetable. That green bean
    >casserole made from opening 6 cans of stuff? That is my
    >ultimate comfort food.

    Oh, covered with onion ring bits from the can? (G)

    >Well, with these shocking revelations, I'm sure I've
    >stripped away all the mystery of knowing me. The rest is
    >just drama. <G>

    Ah, yes, the exotic is revealed as midwest diva!

    >I wonder how many points in properly prepared smelt. Lite
    >beer probably wouldn't make much difference. You have to
    >eat at least a dozen to feel you've eaten anything.

    WW book: smelt, 1 ounce is 1 point. No info on how cooked.

    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:34:38 -0800, Fred
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the
    >>>exact opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--
    >>>trout, walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt.
    >>>The latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're
    >>>fried in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me.
    >>>Now I love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even
    >>>cheese was too strong for my palate.
    >>
    >>Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
    >>like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.
    >>
    >>>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
    >>>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
    >>>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
    >>>too strong.)
    >>
    >>My only reaction was "oh, my god!"
    >>
    >>Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still
    >>can't stomach the canned items.

    >>>Linda P
    >>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
    > all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
    > exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
    > octopus, squid.

    Being from New England I must take offense! :)

    Maine lobster dipped in drawn butter with a bowl of clams on
    the side? Now we're talking! Don't forget the corn on the
    cob and 'slaw to go with it.

    Squid and octopus when cooked right is melt in your mouth
    yummy! Overcooked it does bear a striking resemblance to
    rubber bands.

  11. Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a Google
    search in my future. <G>

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  12. Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
    Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
    Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
    party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
    recipe follows the list of ingredients.

    Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups dried
    sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar 4 cups
    creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade condensed milk,
    recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4 cups heavy cream 2
    tablespoons cracked black pepper 1 vanilla bean (cut
    lengthwise)

    http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_-
    2449,00.html

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    >cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    >heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a Google
    >search in my future. <G>
    >
    >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  13. Skiur

    Skiur Guest

    The blue star brand lump crabmeat is excellent at Costco!
    That's what I put in my crab cakes/crab salad.

    "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I think I'll just take your word for it and PASS. I'm not
    > a huge lobster
    fan, can
    > take it or leave it. Now had it been crab, I probably
    > would have had to
    form my

    wrote:

    > >Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
    > >very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
    > >prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
    > >things lack that entirely.
    > >
    > >While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
    > >would not invest in them again. They are easily
    > >overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
    > >any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
    > >potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
    > >
    > >Recommendation - PASS.

  14. Laura

    Laura Guest

    "Chris" <[email protected]@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get
    > > what all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all
    > > those exotic rubber bands you and others call "food,"
    > > e.g. octopus, squid.
    >
    > Being from New England I must take offense! :)
    >
    > Maine lobster dipped in drawn butter with a bowl of clams
    > on the side?
    Now
    > we're talking! Don't forget the corn on the cob and 'slaw
    > to go with it.
    >
    > Squid and octopus when cooked right is melt in your mouth
    > yummy! Overcooked it does bear a striking resemblance to
    > rubber bands.

    Hey, Chris. You forgot the steamed mussels and the sand <g>.
    Laura (another new englander)

  15. isn't that a wonderful show? Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    > cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    > heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
    > Google search in my future. <G>
    >
    > On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    >
    > Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  16. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Very interesting sounding. I may have to give it a try. I
    did not expect to strain out the black pepper figuring,
    seriously, it would add interest in a spike of pepper taste.
    Making home made condensed milk sound extreme (G)

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:54:34 -0600, Prairie Roots
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
    >Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
    >Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
    >party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
    >recipe follows the list of ingredients.
    >
    >Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
    >dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar
    >4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
    >condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
    >cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
    >vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
    >
    >http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936-
    >_2449,00.html
    >
    >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    >>cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    >>heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
    >>Google search in my future. <G>
    >>
    >>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    >>
    >>Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  17. Fred

    Fred Guest

    And another on the same site:

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_-
    9936_14165,00.html

    and:

    http://www.rising-stars.com/recipes/pepice.htm

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
    >Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
    >Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
    >party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
    >recipe follows the list of ingredients.
    >
    >Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
    >dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar
    >4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
    >condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
    >cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
    >vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
    >
    >http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936-
    >_2449,00.html
    >
    >On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    >>cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    >>heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
    >>Google search in my future. <G>
    >>
    >>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    >>
    >>Linda P
    >>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
    >
    >Linda P
    >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  18. oh my... Even I might like this, Lee
    Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
    > Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
    > Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
    > party after my kitchen is done. The link to the
    > copyrighted recipe follows the list of ingredients.
    >
    > Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
    > dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated
    > sugar 4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
    > condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
    > cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
    > vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
    >
    > http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_993-
    > 6_2449,00.html
    >
    > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    > >cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    > >heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
    > >Google search in my future. <G>
    > >
    > >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    > ><[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    > >
    > >Linda P
    > >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
    >
    > Linda P
    > 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  19. Yes, I enjoy listening.

    On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:31:10 -0600, "Miss Violette"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >isn't that a wonderful show? Lee Prairie Roots
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
    >> cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
    >> heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
    >> Google search in my future. <G>
    >>
    >> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
    >>
    >> Linda P
    >> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

    Linda P
    232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

  20. Fred

    Fred Guest

    It is on at an inconvenient time but that's where I heard
    that Microwaving broccoli killed almost all of its
    nutrients. Now I'm back to the more careful steaming of
    my veggies.