Lobster Chunks

Fred

Guest
Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these things
lack that entirely.

While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
garlic mashed potatoes.

Recommendation - PASS.

Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was too
strong for my palate.

(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were done
till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put vanilla in
her homemade ice cream because she thought it too strong.)

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
>things lack that entirely.
>
>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
>would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
>by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
>with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
>garlic mashed potatoes.
>
>Recommendation - PASS.

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

interesting, I really do like it steamed, we eat it with snow peas and
noodles, snow peas also steamed, Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
> very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
> prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
> things lack that entirely.
>
> While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
> would not invest in them again. They are easily
> overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
> any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
> potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
>
> Recommendation - PASS.

Thanks for the review.

Julie "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
> very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
> prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
> things lack that entirely.
>
> While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
> would not invest in them again. They are easily
> overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
> any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
> potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
>
> Recommendation - PASS.

I think I'll just take your word for it and PASS. I'm not a
huge lobster fan, can take it or leave it. Now had it been
crab, I probably would have had to form my own opinion. <G>

Joyce

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
>things lack that entirely.
>
>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
>would not invest in them again. They are easily overpowered
>by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by any side dish
>with the possible exception of mashed potatoes and not
>garlic mashed potatoes.
>
>Recommendation - PASS.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
>opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
>walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
>latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
>in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
>love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was
>too strong for my palate.

Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.

>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
>too strong.)

My only reaction was "oh, my god!"

Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still can't
stomach the canned items.

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
>>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
>>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
>>things lack that entirely.
>>
>>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
>>would not invest in them again. They are easily
>>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
>>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
>>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
>>
>>Recommendation - PASS.
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Mmmmmmmmmm, crappie! I haven't had that since my youth. We
had a cottage in the Ozarks, would fish off the dock in
our backyard and haul in the crappie's ... now that is
good eatin'! I'm much like you, prefer the milder fish. I
also didn't like salmon, snapper and a few others until
this past year. But I much prefer tilapia, orange roughie,
cod, etc. <G>

Ewwwww, I still can't eat canned peas - they just taste like
mush to me. We currently have about a dozen cans in the
basement, hub asked how we got so many. I had to gently
remind him that he purchased every dang one of them, I won't
touch 'em with a 10' pole. <G>

joyce

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the exact
>opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--trout,
>walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt. The
>latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're fried
>in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me. Now I
>love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese was
>too strong for my palate.
>
>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
>too strong.)
>
>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
>>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
>>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
>>things lack that entirely.
>>
>>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
>>would not invest in them again. They are easily
>>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
>>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
>>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
>>
>>Recommendation - PASS.
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
octopus, squid.

While bland fish appeals to me, flavorless ice cream
definitely puts me off. The more flavor the better. One of
these days I want to try pepper ice cream. Probably make my
grandma turn over!

I can still stomach gray vegetables, although at that point
they can hardly be considered a vegetable. That green bean
casserole made from opening 6 cans of stuff? That is my
ultimate comfort food.

Well, with these shocking revelations, I'm sure I've
stripped away all the mystery of knowing me. The rest is
just drama. <G>

I wonder how many points in properly prepared smelt. Lite
beer probably wouldn't make much difference. You have to eat
at least a dozen to feel you've eaten anything.

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:34:38 -0800, Fred
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the
>>exact opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--
>>trout, walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt.
>>The latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're
>>fried in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me.
>>Now I love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even cheese
>>was too strong for my palate.
>
>Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
>like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.
>
>>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
>>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
>>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
>>too strong.)
>
>My only reaction was "oh, my god!"
>
>Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still
>can't stomach the canned items.
>
>>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 18:03:06 -0800, Fred
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
>>>very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
>>>prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
>>>things lack that entirely.
>>>
>>>While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
>>>would not invest in them again. They are easily
>>>overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
>>>any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
>>>potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
>>>
>>>Recommendation - PASS.
>>
>>Linda P
>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 22:13:38 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
>all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
>exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
>octopus, squid.

GGGGGGG. Lobster - drool.........

>While bland fish appeals to me, flavorless ice cream
>definitely puts me off. The more flavor the better. One of
>these days I want to try pepper ice cream. Probably make my
>grandma turn over!

Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)

>I can still stomach gray vegetables, although at that point
>they can hardly be considered a vegetable. That green bean
>casserole made from opening 6 cans of stuff? That is my
>ultimate comfort food.

Oh, covered with onion ring bits from the can? (G)

>Well, with these shocking revelations, I'm sure I've
>stripped away all the mystery of knowing me. The rest is
>just drama. <G>

Ah, yes, the exotic is revealed as midwest diva!

>I wonder how many points in properly prepared smelt. Lite
>beer probably wouldn't make much difference. You have to
>eat at least a dozen to feel you've eaten anything.

WW book: smelt, 1 ounce is 1 point. No info on how cooked.

>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:34:38 -0800, Fred
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:17:07 -0600, Prairie Roots
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Ooh. I'd probably love these. My taste in fish is the
>>>exact opposite of yours. I grew up on freshwater fish--
>>>trout, walleyes, crappies (pronounced "croppies"), smelt.
>>>The latter gets their taste from the beer batter they're
>>>fried in. For years, salmon was too fishy-tasting for me.
>>>Now I love it. Tilapia is just right. As a kid even
>>>cheese was too strong for my palate.
>>
>>Go for it. They were pleasant, mildly lobster tasting. I
>>like fresh trout and have always liked smelt.
>>
>>>(I'm the one whose mother didn't think canned peas were
>>>done till they were gray. My grandmother didn't put
>>>vanilla in her homemade ice cream because she thought it
>>>too strong.)
>>
>>My only reaction was "oh, my god!"
>>
>>Mom served raw peas, carrots and string beans. I still
>>can't stomach the canned items.

>>>Linda P
>>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get what
> all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all those
> exotic rubber bands you and others call "food," e.g.
> octopus, squid.

Being from New England I must take offense! :)

Maine lobster dipped in drawn butter with a bowl of clams on
the side? Now we're talking! Don't forget the corn on the
cob and 'slaw to go with it.

Squid and octopus when cooked right is melt in your mouth
yummy! Overcooked it does bear a striking resemblance to
rubber bands.

Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a Google
search in my future. <G>

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
recipe follows the list of ingredients.

Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups dried
sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar 4 cups
creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade condensed milk,
recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4 cups heavy cream 2
tablespoons cracked black pepper 1 vanilla bean (cut
lengthwise)

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_-
2449,00.html

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
>cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
>heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a Google
>search in my future. <G>
>
>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

The blue star brand lump crabmeat is excellent at Costco!
That's what I put in my crab cakes/crab salad.

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I think I'll just take your word for it and PASS. I'm not
> a huge lobster
fan, can
> take it or leave it. Now had it been crab, I probably
> would have had to
form my

wrote:

> >Well, I steamed the pieces tonight. Very subtle taste and
> >very tender consistency. Some of you might know that I
> >prefer "fish" with some texture and substance - these
> >things lack that entirely.
> >
> >While they are pleasant in a simple fashion, I probably
> >would not invest in them again. They are easily
> >overpowered by any saucing whatsoever. Or overpowered by
> >any side dish with the possible exception of mashed
> >potatoes and not garlic mashed potatoes.
> >
> >Recommendation - PASS.

"Chris" <zysmith@@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > I've never been crazy about lobster. Can't quite get
> > what all the fuss is about. You can fuhgedabout all
> > those exotic rubber bands you and others call "food,"
> > e.g. octopus, squid.
>
> Being from New England I must take offense! :)
>
> Maine lobster dipped in drawn butter with a bowl of clams
> on the side?
Now
> we're talking! Don't forget the corn on the cob and 'slaw
> to go with it.
>
> Squid and octopus when cooked right is melt in your mouth
> yummy! Overcooked it does bear a striking resemblance to
> rubber bands.

Hey, Chris. You forgot the steamed mussels and the sand <g>.
Laura (another new englander)

isn't that a wonderful show? Lee
Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
> cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
> heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
> Google search in my future. <G>
>
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
>
> Linda P
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Very interesting sounding. I may have to give it a try. I
did not expect to strain out the black pepper figuring,
seriously, it would add interest in a spike of pepper taste.
Making home made condensed milk sound extreme (G)

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:54:34 -0600, Prairie Roots
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
>Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
>Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
>party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
>recipe follows the list of ingredients.
>
>Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
>dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar
>4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
>condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
>cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
>vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
>
>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936-
>_2449,00.html
>
>On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
>>cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
>>heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
>>Google search in my future. <G>
>>
>>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
>>
>>Linda P
>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

And another on the same site:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_-
9936_14165,00.html

and:

http://www.rising-stars.com/recipes/pepice.htm

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
>Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
>Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
>party after my kitchen is done. The link to the copyrighted
>recipe follows the list of ingredients.
>
>Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
>dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated sugar
>4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
>condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
>cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
>vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
>
>http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936-
>_2449,00.html
>
>On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
>>cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
>>heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
>>Google search in my future. <G>
>>
>>On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
>>
>>Linda P
>>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

oh my... Even I might like this, Lee
Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just found a link to a recipe for Sour Cherry and Black
> Pepper Ice Cream on foodtv.com. I won't be making it soon!
> Too much good stuff. Maybe, though, for my first dinner
> party after my kitchen is done. The link to the
> copyrighted recipe follows the list of ingredients.
>
> Here's the list of ingredients: /2 cup dark rum 2 cups
> dried sour cherries 16 egg yolks 10 ounces granulated
> sugar 4 cups creme fraiche or sour cream 4 cups homemade
> condensed milk, recipe follows *make recipe 1 1/2 times 4
> cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper 1
> vanilla bean (cut lengthwise)
>
> http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_993-
> 6_2449,00.html
>
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 05:48:55 -0600, Prairie Roots
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
> >cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
> >heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
> >Google search in my future. <G>
> >
> >On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
> ><[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >>Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
> >
> >Linda P
> >232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003
>
> Linda P
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Yes, I enjoy listening.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:31:10 -0600, "Miss Violette"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>isn't that a wonderful show? Lee Prairie Roots
><[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Or jalapeño maybe! Actually, I've never seen pepper ice
>> cream in the freezer section at the grocery store. Only
>> heard about it once on The Splendid Table. I sense a
>> Google search in my future. <G>
>>
>> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:28:59 -0800, Fred
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Pepper ice cream? Black, white or red? (G)
>>
>> Linda P
>> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

It is on at an inconvenient time but that's where I heard
that Microwaving broccoli killed almost all of its
nutrients. Now I'm back to the more careful steaming of
my veggies.