local bike club looking for good ideas

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Missoulabiker, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. We've managed to make some money over the years in our local bike club. I'm not sure how much we'll
    have after our next event, but it could be in the 10-20k range. Has anyone been involved in a
    particularly worthy local project?

    Tags:

  2. Mitch Haley

    Mitch Haley Guest

    MissoulaBiker wrote:

    > We've managed to make some money over the years in our local bike club. I'm not sure how much
    > we'll have after our next event, but it could be in the 10-20k range. Has anyone been involved in
    > a particularly worthy local project?

    We've done things like buy bikes for police departments and bike racks for busses. IMO, if you buy
    police bikes, the PD should be able to buy replacement bikes with the money that the first set of
    bikes saved on squad car operating costs. Mitch.

  3. Bob Bayn

    Bob Bayn Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "MissoulaBiker" <[email protected]> writes:
    > We've managed to make some money over the years in our local bike club. I'm not sure how much
    > we'll have after our next event, but it could be in the 10-20k range. Has anyone been involved in
    > a particularly worthy local project?

    The Cache Valley Veloists touring club here supports a local group called "Common Ground" which
    provides a variety of activities for handicapped folks, ranging from cycling on hand-crank trikes to
    gardening in wheelchair accessible planting beds.

    [I was in Missoula on Earth Day - nice place.]

    --
    Bob Bayn Welcome to Cache Valley; o AUS/N&CS Please set your chronometer \__^\=* Utah State Univ
    back 20 years and 10 minutes. (O)""""o

  4. The most worthwhile project I have done is connect 6.75 miles of local side streets and created a
    route out of it. http://home.earthlink.net/~rehaston/index.html

    Kids will cycle if there is somewhere they can get to. I think it is paramount that we keep our kids
    cycling, especially as their lazy fat assed parents keep buying them junk bikes and motorized cars
    and scooters.

    While much can be done for nearly free like I did, promotion, such as making signs and flyers costs.
    Maybe you might need to buy a small easement or run a short connecting path or two.

    If you spend the money lobbying public support, you can leverage government dollars. I would say
    stick to connecting side streets, or using paths to connect better road cycling segments. This will
    keep both the pro road and pro path segments happy.

    "MissoulaBiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We've managed to make some money over the years in our local bike club. I'm not sure how much
    > we'll have after our next event, but it could be in the 10-20k range. Has anyone been involved in
    > a particularly worthy
    local