Local Candy Companies

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mary, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Mary

    Mary Guest

    I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    lot of local candy companies which basically make their own
    candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each local
    town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell is what
    I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering if other
    areas of the country have the same local candy companies.
    Today with everything being a national brand, I find it
    unusual that this is true.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Tony P .

    Tony P . Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] net.com says...
    > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    > lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    > own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
    > local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
    > is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
    > if other areas of the country have the same local candy
    > companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
    > find it unusual that this is true.

    Just had a chocolate place open up a block and a half from
    me. They make all sorts of bonbons, truffles, fudge, etc. I
    love their pistachio fudge and the cherry cheesecake fudge.

    They can be contacted at the site listed - the site needs
    help. Next time I'm in there I think I'll talk to them.

    http://www.oceanstatechocolates.com/

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    mary wrote:

    > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    > lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    > own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
    > local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
    > is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
    > if other areas of the country have the same local candy
    > companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
    > find it unusual that this is true.

    We have a number of small candy stores around here that do
    their own chocolates. I find them much better than any of
    the products from the big chocolate companies.

  4. Sd

    Sd Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was wondering if other areas of the country have the
    > same local candy companies. Today with everything being a
    > national brand, I find it unusual that this is true.
    >
    > Tom

    The Minneapolis/St. Paul area is blessed with a number of
    local candy companies. Most of them seem to have reputations
    that extend well beyond the region:

    - Pearson's (http://www.pearsonscandy.com) invented the
    salted nut roll and is famous for their Nut Goodie.
    - Just Truffles (just up the street from me;
    http://www.justtruffles.com) makes some wonderful
    truffles -- and nothing else. They've been on Food
    Network a few times.
    - B.T. McElrath Chocolates (http://www.btmcelrath.com) makes
    great chocolate and, according to their Web site, this
    month, Chocolatier magazine named them one of 20 Top
    Artisan Chocolate Makers in the U.S.
    - Chocolate Celeste (http://www.chocolateceleste.com) makes
    very tasty stuff, too, similar to Just Truffles.
    - The Fritz Company (http://www.fritziefresh.com) has been
    making and selling candy since WWII. I'm not the biggest
    fan of it, but it is sold widely around here.
    - Farley's & Sathers is headquartered here; they manufacture
    and sell many brands of candy people would recognize,
    including Rain-Blo gumballs, Super Bubble bubblegum,
    Jujyfruits, and Chuckles.

    Hmm ... didn't realize there were so many candy
    companies here ...

    sd

  5. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    mary wrote:
    > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    > lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    > own candy, and sell it from their own store front.

    Cleveland has the Malley's Chocolate Company:
    http://www.malleys.com/ They have good chocolate, although
    some of their other non-chocolate stuff is just resale from
    national chains (Jelly Belly, Brach's, etc). I think they
    make their own ice cream. If you ever drive through
    Cleveland, stop at a Malley's store and try a root beer
    float. They are

    My wife likes the South Bend Chocolate Company:
    http://www.sbchocolate.com/ I have had a chocolate or two
    from there and they were good. I think she likes them mainly
    because she is from the South Bend area and that is about
    the only local chocolate place -- anything is better than
    some national brand sitting on the shelf for months at a
    time. But the South Bend company is above average.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  6. "sd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sd55117-
    [email protected] <snip>

    > The Minneapolis/St. Paul area is blessed with a number of
    > local candy companies. Most of them seem to have
    > reputations that extend well beyond the region:
    >
    > - Pearson's (http://www.pearsonscandy.com) invented the
    > salted nut roll and is famous for their Nut Goodie.
    > - Just Truffles (just up the street from me;
    > http://www.justtruffles.com) makes some wonderful
    > truffles -- and nothing else. They've been on Food
    > Network a few times.
    > - B.T. McElrath Chocolates (http://www.btmcelrath.com)
    > makes great chocolate and, according to their Web site,
    > this month, Chocolatier magazine named them one of 20
    > Top Artisan Chocolate Makers in the U.S.
    > - Chocolate Celeste (http://www.chocolateceleste.com)
    > makes very tasty stuff, too, similar to Just Truffles.
    > - The Fritz Company (http://www.fritziefresh.com) has been
    > making and selling candy since WWII. I'm not the biggest
    > fan of it, but it is sold widely around here.
    > - Farley's & Sathers is headquartered here; they
    > manufacture and sell many brands of candy people would
    > recognize, including Rain-Blo gumballs, Super Bubble
    > bubblegum, Jujyfruits, and Chuckles.
    >
    > Hmm ... didn't realize there were so many candy companies
    > here ...
    >
    > sd

    Crap! Why didn't you post this 4 days ago? We could have
    added even more to our food list! Then again, we spent just
    over $200 on food to take home so maybe it's best that I
    didn't see your post earlier! I did pick up a couple of Nut
    Goodies at a gas station on the way back, though.

    Your post has been saved for the next trip!

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

  7. John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > mary wrote:
    >> I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be
    >> a lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    >> own candy, and sell it from their own store front.
    >
    > Cleveland has the Malley's Chocolate Company:
    > http://www.malleys.com/ They have good chocolate, although
    > some of their other non-chocolate stuff is just resale
    > from national chains (Jelly Belly, Brach's, etc). I think
    > they make their own ice cream. If you ever drive through
    > Cleveland, stop at a Malley's store and try a root beer
    > float. They

    Malley's also has wonderful Hot Fudge Sundaes, but even
    better are their Cold Fudge Sundaes, especially with lightly
    salted toasted pecans. The cold fudge topping is thick,
    rich, and very chocolatey.

    > My wife likes the South Bend Chocolate Company:
    > http://www.sbchocolate.com/ I have had a chocolate or two
    > from there and they were good. I think she likes them
    > mainly because she is from the South Bend area and that is
    > about the only local chocolate place -- anything is better
    > than some national brand sitting on the shelf for months
    > at a time. But the South Bend company is above average.

    Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona, we
    were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard about
    before. Most of their offerings are excellent.

    Wayne

  8. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Malley's also has wonderful Hot Fudge Sundaes, but even
    > better are their Cold Fudge Sundaes, especially with
    > lightly salted toasted pecans. The cold fudge topping is
    > thick, rich, and very chocolatey.

    I think they use Peterson's Nuts, which is a local nut
    company but they have quasi-national distribution. Very good
    nuts... ;-)

    > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona, we
    > were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard
    > about before. Most of their offerings are excellent.

    I have heard of See's before. I think they are another local
    company that gets their stuff distributed nationally in
    limited quantities.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  9. John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in news:104o35r2c9hdoc2
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> Malley's also has wonderful Hot Fudge Sundaes, but even
    >> better are their Cold Fudge Sundaes, especially with
    >> lightly salted toasted pecans. The cold fudge topping is
    >> thick, rich, and very chocolatey.
    >
    > I think they use Peterson's Nuts, which is a local nut
    > company but they have quasi-national distribution. Very
    > good nuts... ;-)

    Yes, CAPCO (Charles A. Peterson) nut company. I used to go
    to their location near (I think) E. 9th and Prospect to buy
    various nuts. I could buy pinenuts by the pound for very
    little money.

    >> Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona, we
    >> were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard
    >> about before. Most of their offerings are excellent.
    >
    > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > local company that gets their stuff distributed nationally
    > in limited quantities.

    Sees is California based and distributes in 15-16 states,
    mostly in the West.

    Wayne

  10. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > Yes, CAPCO (Charles A. Peterson) nut company. I used to go
    > to their location near (I think) E. 9th and Prospect to
    > buy various nuts. I could buy pinenuts by the pound for
    > very little money.

    East 9th and Carnegie, across from Jacobs Field. I remember
    because of the painting on the side of their building. It
    was a bunch of peanuts in different stages of opening, but
    instead of nuts, it contained a basketball and a baseball.

    You are correct, they have very good nuts and at low prices.
    I worked at more than one restaurant that would buy pinenuts
    (for example) for about $4 per pound, about half what they
    go for normally. And they were excellent tasting, too.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  11. John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >> Yes, CAPCO (Charles A. Peterson) nut company. I used to
    >> go to their location near (I think) E. 9th and Prospect
    >> to buy various nuts. I could buy pinenuts by the pound
    >> for very little money.
    >
    > East 9th and Carnegie, across from Jacobs Field. I
    > remember because of the painting on the side of their
    > building. It was a bunch of peanuts in different stages of
    > opening, but instead of nuts, it contained a basketball
    > and a baseball.

    Ah, yes, Carnegie. I should have remembered that. I remember
    CAPCO from long before there was even a thought of Jacobs
    Field. One of my first jobs, in the late 1960s, was at Halle
    Bros. on Euclid Ave. That's when I began shopping at CAPCO.
    Within the same block there was also a Middle Eastern shop
    that had wonderful pastries asd well as fresh-made pita
    bread and filo dough by the pound. Their spanikopita was
    also very good.

    > You are correct, they have very good nuts and at low
    > prices. I worked at more than one restaurant that would
    > buy pinenuts (for example) for about $4 per pound, about
    > half what they go for normally. And they

    ARGHHHH!!! I sure remember those prices. Last week
    pinenuts were selling at a local store here in Phoenix for
    $12 per pound.

    John, where abouts are you now living in the South? Both my
    parents' families are from NE MS and we lived in several
    other areas as I was growing up.

    Wayne Wayne

  12. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:

    > > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona,
    > > we were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard
    > > about before. Most of their offerings are excellent.
    >
    > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > local company that gets their stuff distributed nationally
    > in limited quantities.

    Started in 1921 in Los Angeles, but now with stores all over
    the west and Hawaii, maybe other places too. The chocolate
    for their confections comes from Guittard.

    I didn't find a web site for them, but here's a web page
    about them:

    http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_520/sees.htm

  13. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:

    > > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona,
    > > we were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard
    > > about before. Most of their offerings are excellent.
    >
    > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > local company that gets their stuff distributed nationally
    > in limited quantities.

    Started in 1921 in Los Angeles, but now with stores all over
    the west and Hawaii, maybe other places too. The chocolate
    for their confections comes from Guittard.

    I didn't find a web site for them, but here's a web page
    about them:

    http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_520/sees.htm

  14. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:

    > > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona,
    > > we were treated to See's Candies which we had only heard
    > > about before. Most of their offerings are excellent.
    >
    > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > local company that gets their stuff distributed nationally
    > in limited quantities.

    Started in 1921 in Los Angeles, but now with stores all over
    the west and Hawaii, maybe other places too. The chocolate
    for their confections comes from Guittard.

    I didn't find a web site for them, but here's a web page
    about them:

    http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_520/sees.htm

  15. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John Gaughan wrote:
    >
    > > > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona,
    > > > we were treated to See's Candies which we had only
    > > > heard about before. Most of their offerings are
    > > > excellent.
    > >
    > > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > > local company that gets their stuff distributed
    > > nationally in limited quantities.
    >
    > Started in 1921 in Los Angeles, but now with stores all
    > over the west and Hawaii, maybe other places too. The
    > chocolate for their confections comes from Guittard.
    >
    > I didn't find a web site for them, but here's a web page
    > about them:
    >
    > http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_520/sees.htm

    MMMM - I love See's candy. Their web site is
    http://www.sees.com/.

    NancyJaye

  16. Nancyjaye

    Nancyjaye Guest

    "Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > John Gaughan wrote:
    >
    > > > Not local, but when we relocated from Ohio to Arizona,
    > > > we were treated to See's Candies which we had only
    > > > heard about before. Most of their offerings are
    > > > excellent.
    > >
    > > I have heard of See's before. I think they are another
    > > local company that gets their stuff distributed
    > > nationally in limited quantities.
    >
    > Started in 1921 in Los Angeles, but now with stores all
    > over the west and Hawaii, maybe other places too. The
    > chocolate for their confections comes from Guittard.
    >
    > I didn't find a web site for them, but here's a web page
    > about them:
    >
    > http://www.californiaheartland.org/archive/hl_520/sees.htm

    MMMM - I love See's candy. Their web site is
    http://www.sees.com/.

    NancyJaye

  17. Nancyjaye

  18. mary wrote:

    > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    > lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    > own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
    > local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
    > is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
    > if other areas of the country have the same local candy
    > companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
    > find it unusual that this is true.
    >
    > Tom

    Hi Mary, I'm in Pgh. too. Yes, we have lots of candy
    companies. but the best is Betsy Ann. Their chocolates are
    superb. The worst is probably Sherm Edwards - poor quality
    chocolate. Sarris is excellent and Dakins is okay.

    When I lived in So. Calif. we had See's but now See's is
    expanding I think. We don't have one yet in PA but you can
    get their candy around Xmas time at a special booth in South
    Hills Village, maybe other areas too.

    Funny thing. My sister and I went camping up north near
    Wellesboro last fall. We stopped at a fancy schmancy candy
    place up there. I was asking them about their fudge. I
    wanted to know if it was made with corn syrup in it as I
    don't like the texture of fudges made with corn syrup - too
    chewy, not fondant-like enough. Anyway they said they didn't
    know. I said how can you not know. You make the fudge here
    don't you? Yes, we
    do. Well, then why can't you tell me if it's got corn syrup
    in it? Well, we make it from a mix. ?????!!!!! What the
    hell? Here they are posing as a gourmet candy shop and
    they make their fudge from a mix????? Suffice it to say
    I didn't buy anything there. Who knows what they made
    their other candies out of.

    Kate

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
    already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

  19. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
    > lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    > own candy, and sell it from
    their
    > own store front. Each local town seems to have one. Most
    > of the candy they sell is what I would call "filled
    > chocolate." I was wondering if other
    areas
    > of the country have the same local candy companies. Today
    > with everything being a national brand, I find it unusual
    > that this is true.
    >
    > Tom

    Did you know that Artisan chocolate shops now outnumber
    McDonald's and Burger King franchises? It has been estimated
    that in the next half decade or so they will outnumber
    Staruck's, leading the world in locations. I personally
    think it's wonderful. I think that everyone should patronize
    smaller, more specialized stores when economically feasible
    and when possible. Keep some variety and regional flavors
    going for our children's children to discover.

    kimberly

  20. John Gaughan wrote:

    > mary wrote:
    >> I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be
    >> a lot of local candy companies which basically make their
    >> own candy, and sell it from their own store front.
    >
    > Cleveland has the Malley's Chocolate Company:
    > http://www.malleys.com/

    > My wife likes the South Bend Chocolate Company:
    > http://www.sbchocolate.com/ ...

    Seattle has Fran's Chocolates
    http://www.franschocolates.com/

    Mmmmmmmmm....

    ---jkb

    --
    "No sprinkles! For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!"

    -- Stewie Griffin