Local Candy Companies

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:32:34 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Funny thing. My sister and I went camping up north near
>Wellesboro last fall. We stopped at a fancy schmancy candy
>place up there. I was asking them about their fudge. I
>wanted to know if it was made with corn syrup in it as I
>don't like the texture of fudges made with corn syrup - too
>chewy, not fondant-like enough. Anyway they said they
>didn't know. I said how can you not know. You make the
>fudge here don't you? Yes, we
>do. Well, then why can't you tell me if it's got corn
> syrup in it? Well, we make it from a mix. ?????!!!!!
> What the hell? Here they are posing as a gourmet candy
> shop and they make their fudge from a mix????? Suffice
> it to say I didn't buy anything there. Who knows what
> they made their other candies out of.

Hmmmm...wonder if you're referring to Gardner's Candies, in
downtown Wellsboro (only candy store I know of in town).
I've always liked their candies (peanut butter meltaways are
great), but I've never tried their fudge. Fudge made from a
mix--ewwwwww!

Mary--grew up in Wellsboro

"Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<oi73c.42$Nj.16@fed1read01>...
> "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> net.com...
> > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be
> > a lot of local candy companies which basically make
> > their own candy, and sell it from
> their
> > own store front. Each local town seems to have one. Most
> > of the candy they sell is what I would call "filled
> > chocolate." I was wondering if other
> areas
> > of the country have the same local candy companies.
> > Today with everything being a national brand, I find it
> > unusual that this is true.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> Did you know that Artisan chocolate shops now outnumber
> McDonald's and Burger King franchises? It has been
> estimated that in the next half decade or so they will
> outnumber Staruck's, leading the world in locations. I
> personally think it's wonderful. I think that everyone
> should patronize smaller, more specialized stores when
> economically feasible and when possible. Keep some variety
> and regional flavors going for our children's children to
> discover.
>
> kimberly

My favorite chocolate is Lake Champlain. It is very smooth
and creamy and the dark chocolate is bitter sweet. The only
shop I've been to is the one in Burlington Vt. Yum. You can
buy them in gourmet food shops but it taste much better in
the shop where they are made. Also in Brookline Ma there is
a homemade candy shop...just can't remeber the name. If
anyone knows what shop I am talking about please refresh my
menory. Thanks

"lj" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
news:[email protected]:

> Do you mean Serenade Chocolatier?
>
> http://www.serenadechocolatier.com/novelty-chocolates.html
>
> "cafeus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Also in Brookline Ma there is a homemade candy
>> shop...just can't remeber the name. If anyone knows what
>> shop I am talking about please refresh my menory. Thanks

Here is my fave in my town

http://www.mstl.org/metropolis/projects/crowncandy.html

Michael
--
Deathbed statement...

"Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
December 12, 1968

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Within the same block there was also a Middle Eastern shop
> that had wonderful pastries asd well as fresh-made pita
> bread and filo dough by the pound.

Aladdin's is a middle-eastern shop that sells food but
specializes in bread. It may be the same one, I do not
know. They have been around for a while, but 40 years is
beyond my time ;-)

> John, where abouts are you now living in the South? Both
> my parents' families are from NE MS and we lived in
> several other areas as I was growing up.

Montgomery, Alabama, against my will. This place sucks
ass for everything. Even decent food is hard to come by.
The market here is so small that businessmen tend not to
give a **** about it and the selection of stores shows
it. As soon as my time in the Chair Force is up I am
going back up north.

--
John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
[email protected]

"John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Montgomery, Alabama, against my will. This place sucks ass
> for everything. Even decent food is hard to come by. The
> market here is so small that businessmen tend not to give
> a **** about it and the selection of stores shows it. As
> soon as my time in the Chair Force is up I am going back
> up north.

Take an hour and drive up to Birmingham.

"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the
darkness." ... old Chinese proverb

pavane

John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in news:104q6r7mg0sp1b1
@corp.supernews.com:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Within the same block there was also a Middle Eastern
>> shop that had wonderful pastries asd well as fresh-made
>> pita bread and filo dough by the pound.
>
> Aladdin's is a middle-eastern shop that sells food but
> specializes in bread. It may be the same one, I do not
> know. They have been around for a while, but 40 years is
> beyond my time ;-)

Yes, that was it, Aladdin's. They've been there for well
over 40 years, a Cleveland institution in middle-eastern
foods. As you said, bread...they probably supply most of
what is consumed in Cleveland.

>> John, where abouts are you now living in the South? Both
>> my parents' families are from NE MS and we lived in
>> several other areas as I was growing up.
>
> Montgomery, Alabama, against my will. This place sucks ass
> for everything. Even decent food is hard to come by. The
> market here is so small that businessmen tend not to give
> a **** about it and the selection of stores shows it. As
> soon as my time in the Chair Force is up I am going back
> up north.

That's too bad, as the South in general is a wonderful place
to live. Birmingham is a lovely city and has some very nice
restaurants as well as specialty food shops.

Wayne

pavane wrote:
> Take an hour and drive up to Birmingham.

Birmingham is a real city, but you said it, the problem
"take an hour."

By the way, I think Birmigham is unique in a stupid way.
Driving through there on my way up north (to visit family) I
saw a few Chick-fil-a signs that said "Birming-HAM... eat
chikin!" I'll shut up now.

--

mary wrote:
> I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
> lot of local candy companies which basically make their
> own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
> local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
> is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
> if other areas of the country have the same local candy
> companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
> find it unusual that this is true.
>
> Tom

In my small Texas city (former home of the 2 President's
Bush, Tommy Franks, Randy Velarde, & Tommy Lee Jones) it's
http://www.susiessouthforty.com/ Susie's South Forty. Very
nice candies.

MareCat wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 14:32:34 -0500, Kate Connally
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Funny thing. My sister and I went camping up north near
> >Wellesboro last fall. We stopped at a fancy schmancy
> >candy place up there. I was asking them about their
> >fudge. I wanted to know if it was made with corn syrup in
> >it as I don't like the texture of fudges made with corn
> >syrup - too chewy, not fondant-like enough. Anyway they
> >said they didn't know. I said how can you not know. You
> >make the fudge here don't you? Yes, we
> >do. Well, then why can't you tell me if it's got corn
> > syrup in it? Well, we make it from a mix. ?????!!!!!
> > What the hell? Here they are posing as a gourmet
> > candy shop and they make their fudge from a mix?????
> > Suffice it to say I didn't buy anything there. Who
> > knows what they made their other candies out of.
>
> Hmmmm...wonder if you're referring to Gardner's Candies,
> in downtown Wellsboro (only candy store I know of in
> town). I've always liked their candies (peanut butter
> meltaways are great), but I've never tried their fudge.
> Fudge made from a mix--ewwwwww!

I don't recall the name but it was not in downtown
Wellsboro. It was a little ways outside of town - to the
east I think.

> Mary--grew up in Wellsboro

You're lucky. It's so beautiful up there. We were there last
October. We camped at Colton Point. We ate at the diner
several times. I love the Wellsboro Diner. We rode the Tioga
Central RR and took a wagon ride with the Mountain Trail
Horse Center down into the Pine Creek Gorge. I also want to
do a bike ride thru the gorge but it rained most of the time
we were there, unfortunately. We visited a maple sugar farm
and a sheep farm that sells homemade woolen items. Missed
hiking the Turkey Trail down to the waterfall as my
arthritis was really bad at that time so I decided not to
try a hike. I just love that area. We even took a longer
trip down to Elk county to view the elk. Saw lots of elk and
deer and even a black bear. Can't wait to go back.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

cafeus wrote:

> My favorite chocolate is Lake Champlain. It is very smooth
> and creamy and the dark chocolate is bitter sweet. The
> only shop I've been to is the one in Burlington Vt. Yum.
> You can buy them in gourmet food shops but it taste much
> better in the shop where they are made. Also in Brookline
> Ma there is a homemade candy shop...just can't remeber the
> name. If anyone knows what shop I am talking about please
> refresh my menory. Thanks

I was there a couple of years ago. I didn't think all that
much of their chocolate. It was okay. We went to the
"factory" in Burlington and got the seconds on sale.

Kate

--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,
Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey
really *is* what it's all about? mailto:[email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "sd" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:sd55117-
> [email protected]... <snip>
> >
> > The Minneapolis/St. Paul area is blessed with a number
> > of local candy companies. <list snipped>
>
> ****! Why didn't you post this 4 days ago? We could
> have added even more to our food list! Then again, we
> spent just over $200 on food to take home so maybe it's
> best that I didn't see your post earlier! I did pick up
> a couple of Nut Goodies at a gas station on the way
> back, though.
>
> Your post has been saved for the next trip!

Well, work has been really busy and I just don't get into
r.f.c as much as I used to.

Anyway, almost all of those stores have Web sites from which
you can order, so if you decide you just can't wait for next
time, almost-immediate gratification can be on its way! :)

sd

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:29:44 -0500, Kate Connally <[email protected]>
wrote:

>MareCat wrote:
>>
>> Mary--grew up in Wellsboro
>
>You're lucky. It's so beautiful up there.

It was a wonderful place to live while I was growing up. I
never really appreciated it then, though. Now, I visit
that area about once a year to see family and really soak
it all in.

We were there
>last October. We camped at Colton Point.

My husband and I got married at one of the overlooks at
Colton Point. It was a very cool (and beautiful) wedding!

We ate at
>the diner several times. I love the Wellsboro Diner.

Me too. :) We always make it a point to eat at the diner
every time we go up there. Great pies.

>We rode the Tioga Central RR and took a wagon ride with
>the Mountain Trail Horse Center down into the Pine Creek
>Gorge. I also want to do a bike ride thru the gorge but it
>rained most of the time we were there, unfortunately. We
>visited a maple sugar farm and a sheep farm that sells
>homemade woolen items. Missed hiking the Turkey Trail down
>to the waterfall as my arthritis was really bad at that
>time so I decided not to try a hike. I just love that
>area. We even took a longer trip down to Elk county to
>view the elk. Saw lots of elk and deer and even a black
>bear. Can't wait to go back.
>
>Kate

Sounds like you had a great trip up there! The last time
we visited (the end of last June), it had just rained a
bunch, and the Turkey Path was pretty wet and slippery.
We hiked down the path anyway. The waterfall was as
beautiful as ever.

Mary--now in Houston

mary <[email protected]> wrote:
> I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
> lot of local candy companies which basically make their
> own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
> local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
> is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
> if other areas of the country have the same local candy
> companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
> find it unusual that this is true.

I live in New Jersey, a few miles east of Philadelphia.
Right up the road from me is a local candy (mostly
chocolate) shop known as Bayard's Chocolates. They operate
at least three candy shops in my area, but the main shop is
the one that also happens to be closest to where I live.

Just north of Philadephia, there's a wonderful candy company
called Asher's. Asher's sells its candy in its own
facilities, but some local grocery and convenience stores
also sell their sweets, especially Asher's chocolate covered
pretzels. In fact, Asher's was featured on one of the Food
Network's shows a few weeks ago.

mary <[email protected]> wrote:
> I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be a
> lot of local candy companies which basically make their
> own candy, and sell it from their own store front. Each
> local town seems to have one. Most of the candy they sell
> is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was wondering
> if other areas of the country have the same local candy
> companies. Today with everything being a national brand, I
> find it unusual that this is true.

I live in New Jersey, a few miles east of Philadelphia.
Right up the road from me is a local candy (mostly
chocolate) shop known as Bayard's Chocolates. They operate
at least three candy shops in my area, but the main shop is
the one that also happens to be closest to where I live.

Just north of Philadephia, there's a wonderful candy company
called Asher's. Asher's sells its candy in its own
facilities, but some local grocery and convenience stores
also sell their sweets, especially Asher's chocolate covered
pretzels. In fact, Asher's was featured on one of the Food
Network's shows a few weeks ago.

> mary <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area, and there seems to be
> > a lot of local candy companies which basically make
> > their own candy, and sell it from their own store front.
> > Each local town seems to have one. Most of the candy
> > they sell is what I would call "filled chocolate." I was
> > wondering if other areas of the country have the same
> > local candy companies. Today with everything being a
> > national brand, I find it unusual that this is true.

Denver has Stephanie's (chocolates), Enstrom's (wonderful
chocolate covered almond toffee) and we used to have the
Jolly Rancher (hard, fruit-flavored candy) till it was sold
and moved.

My favorite memory was in college, in metro Boston, a place
called Loud's in Powderhouse Square. They made hand-dipped
chocolates, candy canes for Christmas, and other
specialties. The also made wonderful ice cream, fresh fruit
flavors plus chocolate chip mocha, coffee flavored with
large chunks of their own dark chocolate. It was fun to
watch them roll out the candy canes on a huge marble slab,
add color and twist in the stripe. This was usually done in
late November for Christmas. They were generous with their
samples and always welcomed us to watch the process.

gloria p

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Asher's chocolate covered pretzels. In fact, Asher's
> was featured on one of the Food Network's shows a few
> weeks ago.

My chocolate pate recipe is a excellent dip for plain stick
pretzels...if you're interested. It is in the RFC cookbook
and has been posted here before. I mostly use the brandy
over the rum choice, when making it.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
nothing but food and water.