Local Cycling Club Websites

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
OK, been checking local clubs in my area to start getting involved... and I will...

but...

I gotta voice my disappointment at how poor the quality of local cycling club pages are. Not so much that they aren't spiffy, but poor layout, illogical navigation and poor poor information.

Would love them to re-think their webbies... could be a lot more inviting to the newcomer...

Also, their forums are either very poor 'list' style or totally private... again, not inviting to the newcomer...

I just love the Central Coast Cyling Club's website, if I look at it using my preferred browser (Firefox), the window is compressed to about 4 lines of scrollable text. Looks like it is set up using IE (which I regard as a tool of the devil).

I think the local clubs have missed the point of a website - you know, communication, duh!

Problem with a lot of those clubs is that their websites are set up and maintained by club members with an overinflated idea of their IT skills.

Yep I agree.
Our site's maintained by a member that reckons he's pretty good with Frontpage/GoLive/some sort of WYWSIWYG thing.
It's a mess IMO, and after offering to sort it out (I used to do it as a job) I was told it'd be stepping on toes.

Our site, like most other race clubs, gets used mostly to check results, programmes and news.
I doubt any of the members would even raise an eyebrow if it all went to plain text. :rolleyes:

I have a redesign/rebuild waiting in the wings if they ever decide they want the site dragged out of the '90s.

Yeah, I don't mind if a site aint flashy, but as long as its logical, informative, and newcomer friendly...

And forums should be open with a member only area...

fauxpas said:
Yeah, I don't mind if a site aint flashy, but as long as its logical, informative, and newcomer friendly...

And forums should be open with a member only area...

Agree 100% - so have you decided on a club?

There are a couple of CCCC guys on the forum, if they don't come and say hello on this thread, hop up to the Thread About Nothing.

The criterium racing at Ourimbah looks kewl.

I'm also looking at the year round racing at Kooragang Island in Newcastle...

Is it OK to be with more than 1 club or is that not on?

And if so, when joining, most the do$h goes to the Cycling Australia Rego (license?)... so would joining a second club be cheap?

fauxpas said:

And if so, when joining, most the do$h goes to the Cycling Australia Rego (license?)... so would joining a second club be cheap?

Those are questions I can't answer I'm afraid, I do not cycle competitively.

fauxpas said:

Hi fauxpas. I'm from Central Coast CC and grew up racing on Kooragang Is. Please don't blame me for the quality of the CCCC website or the Aussies loss to the Kiwis in the ruggers.

When you join a club it gives you an affiliation with Cycling NSW and Cycling Australia. This gives you insurance coverage which is mandatory if you want to race. Most of the registration monies go to CNSW and the majority of that is purley the insurance fee.

Clubs can ask for any amount on top of the fees set down by CNSW. CCCC is probably the cheapest as they only add $20 to the CNSW fees. Compare that to (say) Peloton Sports which adds a significantly higher amount of close to $70.

You can only join one club. Membership of a club is for the sole purpose of attaining the correct insurance coverage to race. Coverage, once attained, can be used in any state of Australia.

Central Coast CC is in the enviable position of running its own road, crit and track programmes and being part of two club combines (interclub comps): Central Districts and North Shore. Coasties can race in any races conducted by these clubs:

Northern Suburbs CC
Peloton Sports
Bicisport
Manly Warringah CC

Hunter Districts CC
Kooragang Open CC
Cessnock CC
Manning Valley (Taree) CC
Muswellbrook CC (when affiliated)

and masters are always welcome at the Hunter Valley Vets races too.

So there's plenty of racing to be had on top of that offered by the club.

The Ourimbah circuit, while not technical, offers riders the chance to get some really exciting racing in on the fastest circuit around. The bushland setting is perfect too with no nearby noise or air pollution: brilliant.

Kooragang on the other hand is a take it or leave it affair. Some people like it, some don't. The circuit is amidst fertilizer plants and other industrial complexes that spew out nasty smelling stuff. The road is a private road and is not maintained (ie. rough as guts). There's a train line running though it, so you can expect to get held up by a train every once in a while. And there plenty of truck activity too. But the style of racing is very different and a lot of fun. I love the place, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

If you want to join CCCC send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the registrar.

Sweet. So that means I could join CCCC and race at Kooragang, but as a CCCC member? That's cool...

Once you have your license, you are covered for all affiliated events, which I think is all of them. You can get a non racing license, if you want to just ride and not race.

If you can hang out 6 weeks, from the 1st October you can buy your 2007 Licence which is valid immeaditely, so you get 15 months. And you don't need to wait for the plastic to come in the post, all you need is the reciept that the club you joined has given you.

mikesbytes said:
If you can hang out 6 weeks, from the 1st October you can buy your 2007 Licence which is valid immeaditely...
I was thinking that, as it will take at least 6 weeks to lose enuf fat off my **** to be able to wear cycling gear without looking like a dik... :D

fauxpas said:
I was thinking that, as it will take at least 6 weeks to lose enuf fat off my **** to be able to wear cycling gear without looking like a dik... :D
In Sydney the grades go down to E. In D and E grade there are a lot of riders who have carrying a few extra kilos, so I wouldn't get to hung out on that. Just have a race, learn and enjoy.

fauxpas said:
Sweet. So that means I could join CCCC and race at Kooragang, but as a CCCC member?
Yes it does. There's usually a couple of Coasties racing outside of the area somewhere.

And on top of the clubs in the two combines you can go to any other club in the state (or interstate) as a visitor due to the distance you would be travelling to get there.